12-27-2016 12:18 PM
252 12345 ...
tools
    They don't realize they're paying too much and can't leave the carrier easily for a couple years.
    Oh I think the majority know they're paying a hefty price but it comes down to convenience, simple as that. And as for leaving the carrier, from my side of the globe if one's carrier is providing an acceptable service then there's little reason to leave, not to mention that being a "long term customer" can have its perks too.
    12-04-2016 01:10 PM
    I think you're wasting your time and theirs by trying to convince them to switch to Windows phone. While the platform isn't dead yet, Microsoft has made it clear that the platform isn't for you ("you" being the general consumer). When Microsoft says they're refocusing on enterprise, that isn't a silent wink and a nod to say, "But we're really developing this OS for you." That's Microsoft embracing their niche. If a friend merely wants to know what's happening with WP, don't give them the rising from the ashes speech. Just inform them about Microsoft's current approach, and if they're cool with that, then hey you won.
    This followed by this.

I wish MS would keep releasing a decent $99 Lumia annually, announce that W10m will keep being supported for x years to come (x>0), and not say things like 'goodbye consumers, we're all about businesses now'.
    x>0 LOL
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    12-04-2016 01:21 PM
    Oh I think the majority know they're paying a hefty price but it comes down to convenience, simple as that. And as for leaving the carrier, from my side of the globe if one's carrier is providing an acceptable service then there's little reason to leave, not to mention that being a "long term customer" can have its perks too.
    From my observations, they don't have a clue. When i show people what I'm paying on Cricket, compared to the big boys, they think I'm lying. Some have switched once they realize they've been taken. The others like to waste money i guess.
    12-04-2016 01:32 PM
    From my observations, they don't have a clue. When i show people what I'm paying on Cricket, compared to the big boys, they think I'm lying. Some have switched once they realize they've been taken. The others like to waste money i guess.
    After doing the math, I started buying outright a few years ago. I enjoy the freedom of it, and the savings alone...
    12-04-2016 02:08 PM
    Not much difference here in Canada going with a subsidised phone over buying it outright, unless you found a smokin' deal on a device. Data plans are very expensive here as are voice plans if you incorporate a reasonable amount of bells and whistles. Sure, if I were too get a cheap plan for my $99 650 we could save a lot but at the same time I'd be very restricted as to what we could use before being hit with huge overage charges, not my cup of tea.
    12-04-2016 02:27 PM
    Not much difference here in Canada going with a subsidised phone over buying it outright, unless you found a smokin' deal on a device. Data plans are very expensive here as are voice plans if you incorporate a reasonable amount of bells and whistles. Sure, if I were too get a cheap plan for my $99 650 we could save a lot but at the same time I'd be very restricted as to what we could use before being hit with huge overage charges, not my cup of tea.
    I've heard that about Canada. I live on the border.
    I pay $35 per month for 2.5gb of data, unlimited text, and plenty of talk time. I also usually buy my phones used and save a ton there. I have a 950 i paid $300 for, which is a fraction of the original cost. These plans/phones are a huge gimmick.
    12-04-2016 02:34 PM
    I pay $35 per month for 2.5gb of data, unlimited text, and plenty of talk time. I also usually buy my phones used and save a ton there. I have a 950 i paid $300 for, which is a fraction of the original cost. These plans/phones are a huge gimmick.
    In comparison, here BYOD it'll cost a min of $40 for only a voice plan (300 local min), add data to that at $15 for a whopping 250 MB/$20 500 MB/$25 2 GB and so on, so yeah we're getting slightly hosed.

Oh, should have mentioned that the voice plans does include the following, not sure how that compares to yours...

* Unlimited nationwide (so Canada only) text, picture and video messaging
    * Voice Mail 25, call display, call waiting and conference calling
    * Unlimited family calling
    TgeekB and Shamshi-Adad like this.
    12-04-2016 02:49 PM
    2.5 g - no can do
    I live way out in the country and my Mobile Hotspot on my VZW phone is my sole source of internet for my house:
    My Plan:
    24 g/month; carry-over unused for one month
    6 bonus g/month; 4 for life and 2 for 2 years
    10-15g plus carry-over every month
    Unlimited Talk and Text

AND on the usage side
    Carry-over gigs get used first (usually 10-15)
    Bonus gigs get used second
    Plan gigs get used last thus maximizing my carry-over gigs.

PLAN = GOOD FOR ME
    BONUSES = GOOD FOR ME
    CARRY-OVER = GOOD FOR ME
    GIMMICK = GOOD FOR ME

Noooooo its not free - $120/ month for 2 phones ( see my sig) and worth every dime - 4G LTE all the time too.

Happy dog here

Peace. Alan
    Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
    Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster
    Even when I lose, I win.
    slivy58, Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    12-04-2016 03:06 PM
    2.5 g - no can do
    I live way out in the country and my Mobile Hotspot on my VZW phone is my sole source of internet for my house:
    My Plan:
    24 g/month; carry-over unused for one month
    6 bonus g/month; 4 for life and 2 for 2 years
    10-15g plus carry-over every month
    Unlimited Talk and Text

AND on the usage side
    Carry-over gigs get used first (usually 10-15)
    Bonus gigs get used second
    Plan gigs get used last thus maximizing my carry-over gigs.

PLAN = GOOD FOR ME
    BONUSES = GOOD FOR ME
    CARRY-OVER = GOOD FOR ME
    GIMMICK = GOOD FOR ME

Noooooo its not free - $120/ month for 2 phones ( see my sig) and worth every dime - 4G LTE all the time too.

Happy dog here

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    You have a very unusual circumstance, not the norm for most people overspending.
    Shamshi-Adad and slivy58 like this.
    12-04-2016 03:09 PM
    You have a very unusual circumstance, not the norm for most people overspending.
    There's only one carrier that works in the middle of my 300 acres of woods and that's VZW so I'm stuck shall we say. No TMO, No AT&T, No SPRINT and I ain't switchin to Cricket to find out.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-04-2016 03:15 PM
    There's only one carrier that works in the middle of my 300 acres of woods and that's VZW so I'm stuck shall we say. No TMO, No AT&T, No SPRINT and I ain't switchin to Cricket to find out.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    Cricket works on AT&T so that won't work for you either.
    That stinks, but I'm sure it's just one of the sacrifices you make for living where you do. I'm sure it's beautiful there!
    12-04-2016 03:18 PM
    Cricket works on AT&T so that won't work for you either.
    That stinks, but I'm sure it's just one of the sacrifices you make for living where you do. I'm sure it's beautiful there!
    NOW you got it. There's LOTS of different circumstances that move people. That's not to say your point is wrong, it just isn't universal.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    slivy58 and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-04-2016 03:22 PM
    NOW you got it. There's LOTS of different circumstances that move people. That's not to say your point is wrong, it just isn't universal.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    Of course! I was speaking of my acquaintances.
    slivy58 and Shamshi-Adad like this.
    12-04-2016 03:25 PM
    Of course! I was speaking of my acquaintances.
    Nah, your point applies to lots and lots of people. But I did MY due diligence.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    TgeekB and slivy58 like this.
    12-04-2016 03:33 PM
    Funny thing about prices and plans. I just bought Honor 7 Lite (5C) for my wife for less than 130 (Black Friday) - 3 years payment without additional costs or operator lock. None of the operators has locked or subsidized phones in many years.

My own plan is like 100min+100sms+2GB data for around 20/month. But when I have that, I get unlimited 4G data plan for 13/month - it's our primary internet connection and has had terabytes of traffic at 25-80Mbps. And another for my parents-in-law.
    There are also plans with reduced price for limited time, and during the lower price, they cannot be closed.

To the original post: For our son, there was no question about not having Android phone after feature phone. Clash of Clans etc just were not available (and still are not) for. It took Pokmon Go to switch me to Android. And my wife bit the bullet after walking around with 8" tablet and because Frozen bugged and did not let her advance and it didn't update in many months.
    I did like the simplicity and just-works of WP8.0 and in some extent of WP8.1 too. WM10 - early previews looked and felt good, but maybe the UI or something else took a wrong turn. So, today, I can't think of a general reason why anyone having used to the taste of the forbidden fruit or almost limitless app store of Android (there is no good app to turn an old phone to a security camera, store videos reliably and run day after day with automatic switch to night mode though) would switch to Windows phone.

this forum where you get answers and fixes from enthusiasts.. Simple questions that I have asked on android forums hardly got any response including WPcentral sister site android central!!! Infact I think should post the questions here ;) for getting answers ! :)
    I can agree with this :) Android Central forum is very fragmented, everything seems to be divided by OS version or device. Personally I can't find anything interesting from there.
    We can use Android - Windows Central Forums ;)
    12-05-2016 01:29 AM
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we are enthusiasts and as such, we prefer the leading edge of performance in our devices. Your statement is the very justification of how Android became the world leader it is. Budget Androids flooded the market and they never looked back. Thank you for reminding us of how purchasing power in the hands of many can dominate a global market. I can't speak for the rest of the world but in the US, anybody can walk out of a carrier store with a top of the line phone with zero or little upfront cost. I guess cheap credit is back in vogue.

How does this tie into the current thread? Think about it, how do you convince someone to buy an HP Elite x3 for $800 (right now) with the current app gap, when they can go to AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon and walk away with an iPhone 7 or Galaxy S7 and not have to drop a nickel?

By the way, what your Hoosiers did to the Tar Heels the other night was unreal.
    Yeah, how dare you beat my Heels. LOL Good job. Hope we meet later in the year. AX
    12-05-2016 06:28 AM

That word convenience is the key word. That's why we have Circle K's, 7 Eleven and other "convenience stores" all around us.
    12-05-2016 06:30 AM
    Oh and the main thing that I like about windows phone ****Drum roll**** is surprisingly not the phone or the OS it is this forum where you get answers and fixes from enthusiasts.. Simple questions that I have asked on android forums hardly got any response including WPcentral sister site android central!!! Infact I think should post the questions here ;) for getting answers ! :)
    I heartily agree!
    Although the Windows phone's OS is intriguing and enjoyable, it is also extremely frustrating. If I had not discovered this wonderful site, I probably would have tossed my first Lumia 520 into the woods. Instead, I found answers to my most of my questions, and worked my way to the 925, 640 (for myself, daughter, and wife), and now, the 650.
    I have never seen anyone else with a Windows phone,and have found the folks at AT&T or Cricket (the only ones who HAD carried them) to be clueless.
    Therefore, I am left with only Windows Central to help sort through the frustrating inconsistencies of the OS.
    With the encouragement of the many fine forum friends- (FFF), I have even participated with the Windows Insider Program.
    Thank you, Windows Central
    12-05-2016 08:50 AM
    You are right that EVERY platform has its issues but is it to the extent seen on WM per each device? Having "A" issue on one device is far different than multiple ones, I can attest to the multiple part as I'm sure many others can as well.

Don't think anyone is suggesting WM is the "only" bug-infested OS but to the extent it is, far and above the worst, leader of the pack shall we say.
    I posted this in a different thread (I'm quoting myself) and I wasn't searching for it, I just stumbled upon it. I think that it's a point worth making:

I moved along to search the author Matt Swider's articles and found a 6-day old entry called "iOS 10 problems: Here's how to fix the most common issues". The topics are:

- iOS 10.1.1 battery issues... "we've been experiencing poor iOS 10 battery life, and with the recent release of iOS 10.0.2, these problems remain."

- iOS 10 bricking phones... "the final launch of iOS 10 has bricked a number of iPhones and iPads. That's disheartening for Apple fans after a solid three-month beta."

- iOS 10 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues... "This problem creeps up every year, and sadly it's no different with iOS 10. Even after Apple released iOS 10.0.2m people are still experiencing Wi-Fi and Bluetooth problems."

- How to stop Messages installing other apps...

- iOS 10 crashes when sending messages

- iPhone stops vibrating after updating to iOS 10... "Some people have noticed that their iPhones no longer vibrate in iOS 10 when they receive messages. "

- iOS 10 home button... "iOS 10 changes the home button functionality now that 'Slide to Unlock' is no more. It actually makes you press in on the Touch ID fingerprint sensor."

- Touch ID stops working in iOS 10... "If Touch ID has stopped working, and you can't configure it after upgrading to iOS 10, then try the following:"

- Your iPhone loses cellular network and can't reconnect

- iOS 10 cellular network problems

- iOS 10 uses lots of mobile data

- No iMessage notifications in iOS 10

- iMessage effects aren't working in iOS 10

- Cannot delete apps in iOS 10

- Third party keyboard don't work in iOS 10

- Purchased ringtones have vanished in iOS 10

- Alarms are not working in iOS 10

- iPhone screen no longer works

- Device gets hot when charging after iOS 10 update

- Photo albums no longer sync in iOS 10

- Playlists appear empty after updating to iOS 10

- Emails don't appear in iOS 10 Mail app

Phew..... and then it ends with: "More iOS 10 problems and fixes. We're in the first days of Apple's new operating system availability, and we can guarantee that there will be more iOS 10 problems discovered." !!!

But it's the Lumia 950 that's "beta"!!!....

Let's just be honest here: The Microsoft smartphones are held to a VASTLY different standard than iOS or Android devices. We can discuss the benefits or drawbacks of soft-/hardware design, and discuss the actual success or failure of the implementation of those technologies, but when we compare we should be clear and state just what parameters we use and where we expect them to be set to consider something a "failure" or a "success", or a "beta" device or something "great" or whatever.
    12-05-2016 11:56 AM
    from within the Windows Central community, what would you say to an Apple, Android or BlackBerry user looking to switch to Windows Phone? What are the great things you can't get anywhere else? Sound off!
    I wouldn't bother trying to convince them, because the discussions are too annoying most of the time. But the things I can't get anywhere else?

- The GUI, which I prefer by far
    - Start screen (sort of same as GUI I suppose)
    - OneDrive
    - Continuum
    - Easy connectivity and access to files and folders (I think you get that on Android as well)
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    12-05-2016 11:57 AM
    I wouldn't bother trying to convince them, because the discussions are too annoying most of the time. But the things I can't get anywhere else?

- The GUI, which I prefer by far
    - Start screen (sort of same as GUI I suppose)
    - OneDrive
    - Continuum
    - Easy connectivity and access to files and folders (I think you get that on Android as well)
    OneDrive is available for both iOS Android.
    Shamshi-Adad, libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    12-05-2016 12:32 PM
    Ah. Didn't know that.
    Shamshi-Adad and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-05-2016 12:38 PM
    There is nothing that is not available on iOS and Android and only in Windows Phone.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-05-2016 01:01 PM
    There is nothing that is not available on iOS and Android and only in Windows Phone.
    Aside from Continuum, yes.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    12-05-2016 01:15 PM
    I heartily agree!
    Although the Windows phone's OS is intriguing and enjoyable, it is also extremely frustrating. If I had not discovered this wonderful site, I probably would have tossed my first Lumia 520 into the woods. Instead, I found answers to my most of my questions, and worked my way to the 925, 640 (for myself, daughter, and wife), and now, the 650.
    I have never seen anyone else with a Windows phone,and have found the folks at AT&T or Cricket (the only ones who HAD carried them) to be clueless.
    Therefore, I am left with only Windows Central to help sort through the frustrating inconsistencies of the OS.
    With the encouragement of the many fine forum friends- (FFF), I have even participated with the Windows Insider Program.
    Thank you, Windows Central
    I got into a bullying situation where this girl was stalking me and then picking apart everything I said/posted. This was at AndroidCentral. I noticed she was new when she started on me so I blocked her so I couldn't see any of her posts. Her postings shot up over a 3 day period or so and I just didn't post anything. In about 2 more days she disappeared. I couldn't IMAGINE that happening ANYWHERE among Windows Folks LOL. But I still don't have anything to post over there. My S7e phones fine and it's a whole different kind of folks anyway.

And my Sportster Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] is my ticket to keep coming back here even though theres no problems with it either.

Peace. Alan
    Even when I lose, I win.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-05-2016 01:25 PM
252 12345 ...