How to convince iPhone and Android users to make the switch?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
When discussing Apple it is referring to just one device because they only make one phone - regardless of display size. But that wasn't my point. Every OS has had global issues with each release for what seems 2-3 years now. I'm not talking about OEM-specific issues, I'm talking Android, iOS and WM platform-wide.

Even if every OS has/had global issues I'm not sure "theirs" begin to compare to WP running 10, if I look back to 2010 then moving forward to today, I'm again hard pressed to write more than a few lines as to how any of my Android, iOS/Apple products, and PC w/past OS's, created such havoc and poor user experiences I'm seeing now.

OEM is furthest from my mind since to me it is pretty evident that 10 is the root of all evils here on both WM and PC. Having just obtained a 650 that was supposedly made for 10, I'm really surprised seeing how it mirrors the poor functionality I've experienced on my 830 (speed not part of the equation here), there have been lots of WTH! moments yet can't say the same for the other platforms... Either I'm one lucky Dude that only gets the best of the best w/Android and iOS and others, then picks the rejects on WM/PC, or, Microsoft's visioning of it's newest OS is way out in left field.

At the end of the day though, it'll come down to whether one's experience on each platform was good, mediocre or bad which will, make or break that user's perception for each specific platform. Right now and IMO, any general user venturing over to WM will find it broken with the overall experience being considerably worse compared to the other platforms.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Now "I" have to look up alacrity. :winktongue:

EDIT>>> That's a good word! I'll keep it.

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

All the propers go to my high school English teacher, Mr. George Ross - Miami Sr. High. That man pushed me harder than any other before or since. May God rest his beautiful soul. I say that because I graduated in 1981 and he was in his early 60s back then.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd come back to windows phone if there was something to come back to. My Icon was awesome and my HTC M8 running windows 8.1 was even better. That seemed like a more premium device than the icon which IMO, makes the user experience seem more polished. Verizon is my carrier tho and they have almost nothing.
But, I can run a windows type UI on my Android devices which gives me a little variety when needed.
I thought that windows was a good platform on a phone. Sorry it didn't become more widely accepted. It just never really got off the ground in any kind of meaningful way in the phone world. A severe lack of good apps probably helped it's demise.
So to answer the OP's inquiry, there is nothing I could say to anyone to get them to go to windows phone, there's just nothing to go to, and it unfortunately has been slowly slipping into obscurity. To bad really.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It's difficult, if not downright impossible, to convince someone to use another platform. We all have different needs and wants, and the different platforms all have pluses and minuses. The only thing you can do is let then see your device, how it performs, and let them make up their own minds.
If you are talking about random users, it would be very difficult. But I had very good luck when I had reason to convince people by being careful who I tried it with. And I have long stopped doing that because MS went off the rails by releasing WM10 long before it was ready. The main non-subjective benefit of Windows phones had been the rock solid nature of it. Anyway, in the good old days, I would look for people who had open minds. Then I would GIVE them a retired phone or a brand new unlocked L640. I had bought a bunch when you could get the AT&T version for a net $10 and unlock them immediately for free. Only one of them went back to iOS or Android. But that was Windows 8.x.

I don't think there is any way that an iPhone or Android user would like to switch to Windows Phone. Currently there is not a single windows phone device that can compete with iOS and Android. On the hardware level, there is no modern flagship with great quality, that would amaze people.
You may be overlooking that not everyone wants or can afford a flagship. There are several excellent mid range hardware options. Still, I don't recommend them to others because I don't trust what MS will do even in the short run.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You may be overlooking that not everyone wants or can afford a flagship.
Exacty. I joked earlier that you could make people switch by breaking their phones, stealing their money, and giving them a free 950XL. The reality actually isn't that far removed from that: people do break their phones, are not always wealthy enough to buy a new flagship immediately, and cheap, fast, secure WP phones are available.

I wish MS would keep releasing a decent $99 Lumia annually, announce that W10m will keep being supported for x years to come (x>0), and not say things like 'goodbye consumers, we're all about businesses now'.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
There's no doubt MS is in a transition period with Mobile. Not a perfect scenario for showcasing to others. Let's see what another year brings.

In the mean time, I am perfectly happy and will enjoy the experience of watching the changes. To me Android and ios have become boring, but I realize not everyone feels this way.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You may be overlooking that not everyone wants or can afford a flagship.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we are enthusiasts and as such, we prefer the leading edge of performance in our devices. Your statement is the very justification of how Android became the world leader it is. Budget Androids flooded the market and they never looked back. Thank you for reminding us of how purchasing power in the hands of many can dominate a global market. I can't speak for the rest of the world but in the US, anybody can walk out of a carrier store with a top of the line phone with zero or little upfront cost. I guess cheap credit is back in vogue.

How does this tie into the current thread? Think about it, how do you convince someone to buy an HP Elite x3 for $800 (right now) with the current app gap, when they can go to AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon and walk away with an iPhone 7 or Galaxy S7 and not have to drop a nickel?

By the way, what your Hoosiers did to the Tar Heels the other night was unreal.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we are enthusiasts and as such, we prefer the leading edge of performance in our devices. Your statement is the very justification of how Android became the world leader it is. Budget Androids flooded the market and they never looked back. Thank you for reminding us of how purchasing power in the hands of many can dominate a global market. I can't speak for the rest of the world but in the US, anybody can walk out of a carrier store with a top of the line phone with zero or little upfront cost. I guess cheap credit is back in vogue.

How does this tie into the current thread? Think about it, how do you convince someone to buy an HP Elite x3 for $800 (right now) with the current app gap, when they can go to AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon and walk away with an iPhone 7 or Galaxy S7 and not have to drop a nickel?
Totally agree (especially in the U.S.). I don't know many people, like myself, who buys phones unlocked. Most hi to the carrier, get kicked into high rates, and walk out with an expensive iPhone while making monthly payments. They don't realize they're paying too much and can't leave the carrier easily for a couple years.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I havent recommended WP to anyone since finding out that WM10 cant do this and cant do that and sure as hell cant run on Lumia x2x variants.
There may be more cants and donts crop up and I don't want to feel that kinda hatred from it. Recommending free upgrade to windows 10 screwed my neighbours desktop ( had to clean install vista back on) and I was at loss for words. Not only did I feel the hate from the silence there but also the backlash from forum users here about why did I recommend it. LOL .Never again am I advertising/ getting carried away for/ by MS and its advances. They can spend their $$$ on selling.

I made the switch to android and the things that I miss are glance, double tap to wakeup and a little bit of AI (OK Google!! search returns less accurate results/relevant results than Cortana) Oh and the main thing that I like about windows phone ****Drum roll**** is surprisingly not the phone or the OS it is this forum where you get answers and fixes from enthusiasts.. Simple questions that I have asked on android forums hardly got any response including WPcentral sister site android central!!! Infact I think should post the questions here ;) for getting answers ! :)

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
They don't realize they're paying too much and can't leave the carrier easily for a couple years.

Oh I think the majority know they're paying a hefty price but it comes down to convenience, simple as that. And as for leaving the carrier, from my side of the globe if one's carrier is providing an acceptable service then there's little reason to leave, not to mention that being a "long term customer" can have its perks too.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I think you're wasting your time and theirs by trying to convince them to switch to Windows phone. While the platform isn't dead yet, Microsoft has made it clear that the platform isn't for you ("you" being the general consumer). When Microsoft says they're refocusing on enterprise, that isn't a silent wink and a nod to say, "But we're really developing this OS for you." That's Microsoft embracing their niche. If a friend merely wants to know what's happening with WP, don't give them the rising from the ashes speech. Just inform them about Microsoft's current approach, and if they're cool with that, then hey you won.

This followed by this.

I wish MS would keep releasing a decent $99 Lumia annually, announce that W10m will keep being supported for x years to come (x>0), and not say things like 'goodbye consumers, we're all about businesses now'.

x>0 LOL

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Oh I think the majority know they're paying a hefty price but it comes down to convenience, simple as that. And as for leaving the carrier, from my side of the globe if one's carrier is providing an acceptable service then there's little reason to leave, not to mention that being a "long term customer" can have its perks too.
From my observations, they don't have a clue. When i show people what I'm paying on Cricket, compared to the big boys, they think I'm lying. Some have switched once they realize they've been taken. The others like to waste money i guess.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
From my observations, they don't have a clue. When i show people what I'm paying on Cricket, compared to the big boys, they think I'm lying. Some have switched once they realize they've been taken. The others like to waste money i guess.

After doing the math, I started buying outright a few years ago. I enjoy the freedom of it, and the savings alone...

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Not much difference here in Canada going with a subsidised phone over buying it outright, unless you found a smokin' deal on a device. Data plans are very expensive here as are voice plans if you incorporate a reasonable amount of bells and whistles. Sure, if I were too get a cheap plan for my $99 650 we could save a lot but at the same time I'd be very restricted as to what we could use before being hit with huge overage charges, not my cup of tea.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Not much difference here in Canada going with a subsidised phone over buying it outright, unless you found a smokin' deal on a device. Data plans are very expensive here as are voice plans if you incorporate a reasonable amount of bells and whistles. Sure, if I were too get a cheap plan for my $99 650 we could save a lot but at the same time I'd be very restricted as to what we could use before being hit with huge overage charges, not my cup of tea.
I've heard that about Canada. I live on the border.
I pay $35 per month for 2.5gb of data, unlimited text, and plenty of talk time. I also usually buy my phones used and save a ton there. I have a 950 i paid $300 for, which is a fraction of the original cost. These plans/phones are a huge gimmick.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I pay $35 per month for 2.5gb of data, unlimited text, and plenty of talk time. I also usually buy my phones used and save a ton there. I have a 950 i paid $300 for, which is a fraction of the original cost. These plans/phones are a huge gimmick.

In comparison, here BYOD it'll cost a min of $40 for only a voice plan (300 local min), add data to that at $15 for a whopping 250 MB/$20 500 MB/$25 2 GB and so on, so yeah we're getting slightly hosed. :crying:

Oh, should have mentioned that the voice plans does include the following, not sure how that compares to yours...

* Unlimited nationwide (so Canada only) text, picture and video messaging
* Voice Mail 25, call display, call waiting and conference calling
* Unlimited family calling

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
2.5 g - no can do
I live way out in the country and my Mobile Hotspot on my VZW phone is my sole source of internet for my house:
My Plan:
24 g/month; carry-over unused for one month
6 bonus g/month; 4 for life and 2 for 2 years
10-15g plus carry-over every month
Unlimited Talk and Text

AND on the usage side
Carry-over gigs get used first (usually 10-15)
Bonus gigs get used second
Plan gigs get used last thus maximizing my carry-over gigs.

PLAN = GOOD FOR ME
BONUSES = GOOD FOR ME
CARRY-OVER = GOOD FOR ME
GIMMICK = GOOD FOR ME

Noooooo its not free - $120/ month for 2 phones ( see my sig) and worth every dime - 4G LTE all the time too.

Happy dog here :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
2.5 g - no can do
I live way out in the country and my Mobile Hotspot on my VZW phone is my sole source of internet for my house:
My Plan:
24 g/month; carry-over unused for one month
6 bonus g/month; 4 for life and 2 for 2 years
10-15g plus carry-over every month
Unlimited Talk and Text

AND on the usage side
Carry-over gigs get used first (usually 10-15)
Bonus gigs get used second
Plan gigs get used last thus maximizing my carry-over gigs.

PLAN = GOOD FOR ME
BONUSES = GOOD FOR ME
CARRY-OVER = GOOD FOR ME
GIMMICK = GOOD FOR ME

Noooooo its not free - $120/ month for 2 phones ( see my sig) and worth every dime - 4G LTE all the time too.

Happy dog here :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
You have a very unusual circumstance, not the norm for most people overspending.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
You have a very unusual circumstance, not the norm for most people overspending.
There's only one carrier that works in the middle of my 300 acres of woods and that's VZW so I'm stuck shall we say. No TMO, No AT&T, No SPRINT and I ain't switchin to Cricket to find out.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs