How to convince iPhone and Android users to make the switch?

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
W10M is not something I would recommend to even an enemy. The AU is still buggy crap. For one example, read the threads here about the Camera Ap problems. That is unconscionable for a smartphone.

MS has no flagship for sale and a still crummy OS. Embarrassing failure is W10M

Sent from mTalk

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
W10M is not something I would recommend to even an enemy. The AU is still buggy crap. For one example, read the threads here about the Camera Ap problems. That is unconscionable for a smartphone.

Sent from mTalk
Microsoft has two flagships in Alcatel and hp. Both of which seem far better received than last years Lumia flagship

Sent from mTalk

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I thought we were discussing OS bugs. You're mentioning hardware issues and those are so random it's not worth talking about especially with high volume pieces. You haven't had any issues with your iPhones or Androids and that's great. But Note 7s were catching fire and iPhones have been having touch issues to the point that there are class-action lawsuits. I owned a Pinto many years ago with zero issues so does that mean the whole exploding thing was fake? No, I was just lucky to never be rear ended.

To-date the only two platforms I've had the MOST issues with (bugs/hardware) has been the BB PlayBook aaand Windows Phone/Mobile, my bad luck I suppose. :grin:

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! I gave you a like, I just didn't visit the forum last few days. :)
Sent from mTalk
Thanks, Vasil. Is that wallpaper working ok? I have it on my Surface Pro my Lumia ICON and my S7e.

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

Vasil Dechkov

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, Vasil. Is that wallpaper working ok? I have it on my Surface Pro my Lumia ICON and my S7e.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

I'm saving it for when my current one gets boring. It should probably work fine though.

Sent from mTalk

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Ahhh.... a collector. That's smart.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I would say that w10m isn't the best option today, but have a future. The continuum integration will be awsome. Fast, security and easy to use. That's all.
That response made me look through my most used apps. For all the doom and gloom on the forums, most basic things that I rely on can be expected to keep working well.

My most used apps:

Built-in/Microsoft, not going anywhere:
Edge (MS)
Outlook (MS)
Phone (MS)
Messages (MS)
Photos (MS)
Camera (MS)
Weather (MS)
Calendar (MS)
File explorer, OneDrive, Office (MS)

UWP apps, here to stay:
mTalk (UWP)
Twitter (UWP)
Share To Speech (UWP)
Package Tracker (UWP)
NextGen reader (WP8 for now, UWP Desktop only atm, unlikely to leave)

Other apps, status uncertain:
Spotify (WP8 app + Desktop app, hopefully they develop a UWP app before discontinuing the WP8 app)
WhatsApp (Facebook. They already have a Windows App, so UWP later seems likely)
Waze (abandoned, not likely to stay/improve)
Podcast Lounge (abandoned?)
Stacks for Instapaper (abandoned)

So out of my most used apps, Waze getting fully killed is most likely to hurt. Otherwise I'm pretty much OK.

Now if MS could please stop breaking basic functionality with each update <lumbergh> that would be great. </lumbergh> :)

Last edited:

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
That response made me look through my most used apps. For all the doom and gloom on the forums, most basic things that I rely on can be expected to keep working well.

My most used apps:

Built-in/Microsoft, not going anywhere:
Edge (MS)
Outlook (MS)
Phone (MS)
Messages (MS)
Photos (MS)
Camera (MS)
Weather (MS)
Calendar (MS)
File explorer, OneDrive, Office (MS)

UWP apps, here to stay:
Spotify (UWP)
mTalk (UWP)
Twitter (UWP)
Share To Speech (UWP)
Package Tracker (UWP)
NextGen reader (WP8 for now, UWP Desktop only atm, unlikely to leave)

Other apps, status uncertain:
WhatsApp (Facebook. They already have a Windows App, so UWP later seems likely)
Waze (abandoned, not likely to stay/improve)
Podcast Lounge (abandoned?)
Stacks for Instapaper (abandoned)

So out of my most used apps, Waze getting fully killed is most likely to hurt. Otherwise I'm pretty much OK.

Now if MS could please stop breaking basic functionality with each update <lumbergh> that would be great. </lumbergh> :)

ROTFL on that last line !!!!!!!!!! :winktongue:

What Office Apps do you use?

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
ROTFL on that last line !!!!!!!!!! :winktongue:

What Office Apps do you use?

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Nothing much, basically Word to view some reference docs on OneDrive, and very occasionally excel for some calculations on the go. Nice to have, although most of what i do could be covered by a simple docx viewer.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

206Husky

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Again, as always, the problem is apps. You need to be ok with losing some apps, and sometimes losing a quality experience for some apps - i.e. Spotify is a great example. Spotify on my Android can control playback on other devices, and the app on my 950 XL doesn't load songs/playlists half the time.

I think Windows 10 Mobile is going in the right direction - I really like the new panorama feature - but the app gap is going to remain until there is a new device with a differentiator that will make people want to switch from iPhone and Android enough so the market share increases and the app gap will be forced to decrease.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Nothing much, basically Word to view some reference docs on OneDrive, and very occasionally excel for some calculations on the go. Nice to have, although most of what i do could be covered by a simple docx viewer.
Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

Same here. If I really had to work on a spreadsheet, I couldn't bare doing it on a phone lol.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
....Now if MS could please stop breaking basic functionality with each update <lumbergh> that would be great. </lumbergh> :)
They don't pay any attention to the TPS Reports. :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
A majority or popularity also doesn't imply quality either. Lol see Donald trump. Jk

In all seriousness given the bulk of android sales come from low end hardware it is no surprise it is the dominant player.

Anytime market share is brought up as a defense it seems poor simply because that does not dictate overall product quality nor does it necessarily imply it is working for most consumers. Especially in markets where iOS is extremely high and windows phone is not available.
Likewise it does not mean it's not. What we do know is people keep buying them, which implies some degree of satisfaction. Quality is a different thing and certainly subjective.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Likewise it does not mean it's not. What we do know is people keep buying them, which implies some degree of satisfaction. Quality is a different thing and certainly subjective.

Unfortunately the only metric that really matters in regards to satisfaction is repeat buyers and there's no way to check that. I can't imagine people who bought a cheap Android as their first smartphone would buy another. A $50 Lumia 640 is head and shoulders above any sub-$100 Android with or without apps.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately the only metric that really matters in regards to satisfaction is repeat buyers and there's no way to check that. I can't imagine people who bought a cheap Android as their first smartphone would buy another. A $50 Lumia 640 is head and shoulders above any sub-$100 Android with or without apps.
The 640 was quite a buy. I couldn't resist at $29.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Again, as always, the problem is apps. You need to be ok with losing some apps, and sometimes losing a quality experience for some apps - i.e. Spotify is a great example. Spotify on my Android can control playback on other devices, and the app on my 950 XL doesn't load songs/playlists half the time.

I think Windows 10 Mobile is going in the right direction - I really like the new panorama feature - but the app gap is going to remain until there is a new device with a differentiator that will make people want to switch from iPhone and Android enough so the market share increases and the app gap will be forced to decrease.

I think this again comes down to whether or not MS really thinks it can gain a large market share throughout the cellphone market, or aim for a niche, at least initially. If it's the latter, it doesn't really matter if there's a million little apps that to neat little things that are of no consequence to those within the specific niche.

Sent from mTalk

I'm just happy you're not resorting to hyperbole....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro