Which Windows Phone Should I Buy Right Now?

mkachwee

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, so my contract is up with my Lumia 930 and I plan on getting another Windows phone. Unfortunately in South Africa we are not getting the HP Elite X3, so my current options are between the 950 and 950XL, the "latest" W10M phones.

Any advice from some intellectuals out there? Should I go ahead and take out a two year contract with these 18 month old phones (950 range released October 2015) or should I wait? I follow Microsoft news daily and there have been no mention of any new upcoming W10M phones, except some unbelievable rumours about the Surface phone.

So I'm wondering if I should wait or just settle for the 950 or 950XL.

Any advice would be appreciated!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Nothing wrong with a 950. It's the W10 flagship. Always updated. What do you need from a phone?
I've kept going back to the 950. Owned an Icon/Ativ SE/830/M8 with Windows/950 xl/650/Elite x3.

The 950 is the perfect size for me and does the job. It's super light-weight... Just wish it was a little more solid.

Sent from mTalk

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Nate W but would substitute the 950 xl. Specs are a bit better and it's a little larger. If those two things don't appeal then the 950 is the one to get. You can't go wrong with either.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, so my contract is up with my Lumia 930 and I plan on getting another Windows phone. Unfortunately in South Africa we are not getting the HP Elite X3, so my current options are between the 950 and 950XL, the "latest" W10M phones.

Any advice from some intellectuals out there? Should I go ahead and take out a two year contract with these 18 month old phones (950 range released October 2015) or should I wait? I follow Microsoft news daily and there have been no mention of any new upcoming W10M phones, except some unbelievable rumours about the Surface phone.

So I'm wondering if I should wait or just settle for the 950 or 950XL.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Considering your location and how Microsoft does things, I also agree about getting the 950. The "Surface phone" is not going to come out until fall possibly, but more people are saying that 2018 appears to be more likely. Are you ready to hold on to the 930 for that long?

The phones that are rumored to appear might not be coming to your region too.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No internet sellers offering the Acer Liquid Jade Primo?

Maybe the just issued as Factory Unlocked Alcatel Idol 4S Windows will make its way there soon.

I'll echo the above, nothing wrong with 950 or 950 XL. They are strong phones.

mkachwee

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey Andrew, i need the same things as my 930 but something a bit faster, though i dont mind holding onto my 930 for another year

mkachwee

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
In my honest opinion, instead of me going and taking out a two year contract, I might as well stick with my 930. The phone is fine, in mint condition, and I've had no issues thus far except for the terrible battery life, though I could pull through until some official release news surfaces

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I am also in South Africa and after my 2 year contract on my L 830 expired I decided to hang on for at least another year. Ordered a spare battery on EBay ( just in case) as I'm quite happy the way the phone suits my needs. I'm not a gamer and all the apps I need (even my bank app) are there.
No crashes, 24-36 hour battery life so I see absolutely no reason to abandon ship right now. I feel quite unique using my Lumia in a sea of Droids and iPhones.

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
2years and 3 months. Still sticking with my 930.. Waiting for something new to be launched... No elite x3 or idol 4s in my location :|

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Aah well abt the 950&XL They are not that much of an improvement from the 930 considering how much more powerful x3 and idol 4s are.

And @axeelant yes this thing is tough it just doesnt give up.. Still quite snappy.. Hope they atleast launch the surface phone in 2018.. 😐

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
And @axeelant yes this thing is tough it just doesnt give up.. Still quite snappy.. Hope they atleast launch the surface phone in 2018.. ??????

Yes, it is one tough phone hehe :D I think the aluminum frame helps it a lot, even tho mine hit the ground like 50 times, bent the frame, broke the glass. That's why I had to CNC machine the frame to make space for new glass. But yeah, L930 still works quite well for it's age!

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Nate W but would substitute the 950 xl. Specs are a bit better and it's a little larger. If those two things don't appeal then the 950 is the one to get. You can't go wrong with either.

I would actually see if you can find a global Alcatel idol 4s, it is a nice phone.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
If you could get your hands on the Alcatel Idol Pro 4S and it works in your area I would just get that. Affordable and loaded to the top with features. Front facing speakers and a pretty slick looking device as well.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
If you can get Lumia 950 for a decent price, go ahead and get it. It's one of the best Windows devices with a great camera to boot. I personally like it better than Alcatel idol 4S

Sent from mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If you can get Lumia 950 for a decent price, go ahead and get it. It's one of the best Windows devices with a great camera to boot. I personally like it better than Alcatel idol 4S

Sent from mTalk

I'm the opposite. I own both phones and the Idol 4s wins in so many ways. Speed, battery efficiency, sound, fingerprint scanner. Both are excellent phones though.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel