What's your DREAM Windows Phone look like?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
LOL good one, but is interesting you picture that part of me while I was describing the smartphone.

You were sure thinking: "that's for sure a real man!" and that's why you though about that part hahaha

Really ...
YOU inferred ' ... I'm a grown up man with pockets ... ' you'd carry it in your pocket & I laughed @ the thought of that.
I'd prefer something a tad more low profile, however ...
My opinion is they're making phones too thin (bending, flexing, etc.) which mitigates the grip factor on the device (hence the bumper).

Lumia 1520 form factor w less bezel & a rubber bumper would be just right for me, perhaps incorporate a stylus into the bumper ...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Really ...
YOU inferred ' ... I'm a grown up man with pockets ... ' you'd carry it in your pocket & I laughed @ the thought of that.
I'd prefer something a tad more low profile, however ...
My opinion is they're making phones too thin (bending, flexing, etc.) which mitigates the grip factor on the device (hence the bumper).
I like small profile devices too. If you think bending and flexing is still a problem, It is not for all companies. Check out the bend test on the Moto Z. I think you might be impressed. At 5.2mm thin, it could not be broken in half by the tester or even cracked if I remember. It actually tries to retain it's original shape. I was quite impressed. The test of that device I watched was on Zack's JerryRigEverything. Slap W10M on that device for me and I would buy it!

Vasil Dechkov

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
One thing I've always liked about Lumia phones is the removable back. You always have access to your battery. It's pretty good looking and if you break it you can always get a new one and the price isn't high. This should be included in my dream Windows Phone.

Sent from mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One thing I've always liked about Lumia phones is the removable back. You always have access to your battery. It's pretty good looking and if you break it you can always get a new one and the price isn't high. This should be included in my dream Windows Phone.

Ya know... I think that also was a hidden design feature.

Drop the phone, the back pops off and the battery flies out... Inconvenient? Maybe. But it also dissipates the impact force by dividing it in different directions. Saw something about that in a budget phone torture test where Lumia 640 fared extremely well against the competition.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
An upgraded Lumia 1520 ... in Midnite Blue pearl (eliminate need for case by adding grip/bumper to sides w lip to protect glass)
size - eliminate some bezel to make it smaller w 6" screen
battery life - this was the KING of battery life, though my battery is on it's last legs.
3GB RAM, 32GB ROM w microSD slot
Snapdragon 835 processor
Lumia type Camera
Tap to Pay (NFC onboard)
Fingerprint sensor (on back)
Gorilla Glass 4 (or something more shatter resistant)

somehow subsidize it (for adoption) to $499. USD ... I'd be a happy man.

I agree with everything that you said. Microsoft, are you reading this? :)

Cheers

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My dream phone:
  • the size of an iPhone 7 (not plus)
  • removable battery
  • runs Windows Mobile
  • expandable memory with a uSD
  • OLED
  • standard 3/8" headphone jack
  • wireless charging, either Qi or A4WP
  • 120G native storage
  • top-end camera with OIS and AF
  • quick charging, either USB-PD or QC
  • freedom from iWorld (Windows Mobile would cover this)
  • BTLE

I guess that would pretty well cover it.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
53c51c98efc88b45df39d5e9c0cbd56d.jpg
. Nokia colors with that 80s look. 😁

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
My dream phone - I have two

The first - is entirely wearable.

Its a watch, with a small touch screen, that can primarily be driven by voice. It can project phone calls via the finger to the ear. When paired with the HoloLens, it can display a large display virtually.

The second, relies on haptic feedback

It runs full windows 10 on arm, and comes equipped with a virtual touch xbox game controller. But the keyboard and game controller use sonic haptic feedback, to feel like actual buttons, so its a keyboard business driver, and a gaming machine.

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Lumia 925-esque design. Minimal bezel, and no stupid curved glass like the S8, something more akin to the LG G6. Must be a one-handed phone, so no larger than the 950.

SD835, 4+GB RAM, at least 64GB internal storage, preferably with the NVMe standard like the iPhone for insane transfer speeds, and of course a MicroSD slot.

AMOLED screen, QHD at least, definitely a glance screen, double tap to wake. HDR10 or Dolby HDR certified. Bluetooth 5.0.

Metal chassis, plastic or glass back for NFC and Qi. Has to impress JerryRigEverything with the durability.

IP68 rating. Would love a removable battery but obviously that would never meet the certification.

High-quality PureView dual cameras. One for wide-angle, like the LG G6. Dedicated camera button as well.

Front facing stereo speakers, the Idol 4S perfected this.

All three fingerprint, iris, and face scanner for Windows Hello. Needs to be as fast as my SP4 or iPhone.

High quality DAC, again the Idol 4S excels at this.

The Lumia McLaren's cool 3D touch technology, not apple's lame 3D touch that no one I know ever uses.

And of course, a standard 3.5mm headphone jack.

Alex Zapata

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm less concerned with the raw specs of it and more with the actual experience. Would it be nice to have the latest SoC and whatnot? Yeah. Would it be cool to have a super high res display with colors that only people in the future will be able to see? Sure, why not. Would it be awesome if the chassis was made out of a super exotic material that no one's ever heard of before? Probably, but my biggest wish is still for a better experience.

For example: I can go to any apple store and buy an unlocked iPhone with no ties to any carrier whatsoever, pop in my T-Mobile SIM and BAM, everything's there! I can enable/disable wifi-calling or VoLTE, most/all of the carrier features are there (I know some of the baked-in video calling stuff is really only available on android devices right now but I suspect that'll change in the future) and the ecosystem for the most part feels pretty cohesive.

This is what I want from MS. I want to be able to go into any MS store and just buy an unlocked phone that will just work. I want to be able to pop my SIM in, whether it's TMO, ATT, VZ, whoever and just have stuff work without any real tinkering. I want the hardware to be powerful enough that the experience never feels strained, and as long as it's the same size or smaller than the Elite X3 I'm fine with that. If the battery can last all day like an Elite X3 or a 1520 then even better. I guess I'm just tired of what feels like half-baked phones from MS. Don't get me wrong, HP did a great job with their device, but I rely on T-Mobile's wifi calling and VoLTE enough that I can't really compromise on those features. But other things like app response time which I realize is probably more developer-dependent but still frustrating. I guess what I'm saying is that I want to be able to pick my Windows device FIRST and then choose my carrier, not the other way around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa