What is the best way to play WP8 "Xbox" games for achievements (Final Fantasy 3, Terraria, etc.)?

InfamousChris

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
What is the best way to play WP8 "Xbox" games for achievements (Final Fantasy 3, Terraria, etc.)?

I used to have a WP8, and it broke. Long story short, I want to buy a WP8 device that allows me to unlock the achievements via my xbox profile for games I started but never finished (yes, I know I'll have to start over). I feel like if I don't do this soon enough they will eventually be discontinued.

What device should I buy? Are any compatible with a controller the way iOS and Android can be? Any recommendations from WP gamers? Games I want to complete:

Skulls of the Shogun
Final Fantasy 3
Wordament
Terraria (might be glitched?)

Any ideas?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: What is the best way to play WP8 "Xbox" games for achievements (Final Fantasy 3, Terraria, etc.)

You don't specifically have to buy a WP8 device for those games. While some games (Mass Effect: Infiltrator, Chaos Rings) did not make the transition well, all four of those work just fine on W10 mobile. They actually blacklisted Terraria for a very long time before finally coming out with an update that made it fully compatible with W10 mobile.

If you're dead set on WP8 though, I'd recommend the Lumia 820. It's not the highest performance phone, but the resolution is well supported so you'll have very little (if any) letterboxing to fight with... and while the S4+ chip isn't the strongest out there, a lot of games are finely tuned to use that chip optimally since - for a while - it was *the* standard within WP (which is why many games/emulators run way better on the S4 chip even though the SD400/600 are technically superior).

Also, it's expandable. For a long time, it was actually pretty tough to find a GOOD windows phone with an SD card slot. I have a Lumia 1020 that I'd still be using today if some nutjob didn't make the decision to pair a camera-oriented super-smartphone with dinky storage and no way to expand it.

InfamousChris

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: What is the best way to play WP8 "Xbox" games for achievements (Final Fantasy 3, Terraria, etc.)

Thank you for that. So just buy a WP10, then? What w10 device to you recommend? Do you know if I have to repurchase my games? And are there any controllers compatible with the phones like there are for iOS? Lastly, have you heard anything about Terreria being glitched in the w10 update that makes some achievements unobtainable?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3