Looking for the most ardent Window Supporter, OG of the group

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Been a while since I have posted. But wanted to get an idea of who amongst us is the most ardent Windows Mobile supporter. That can be taken in a couple of different ways depending on your point of view. I mean, it could mean the biggest dreamer, or the one with the most faith or the last one to leave the ship.

I come to this question because I was reading one of Jason's articles. I thought he was the OG of the group and the one with the most support for Microsoft mobile endeavors. I was a bit wrong. Not because he is not an ardent supporter, but because his entry into Microsoft's mobile ecosystem started only on Windows Mobile 5.0. So I wanted to see in this community on Windows Central, how many of us are before or after Windows Mobile 5.0.

I started with a Dell Axim X5, PPC 2002 and still going from HP IPAQ 2210, HTC TyTn, Samsung Focus, HTC Titan, Lumia 920, Lumia 1520, 950 XL. So yeah, a little pride in beating the literary of the group! Where was your start?

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Looking for the most ardent WIndow Supporter, OG of the group

I had an Axim X5!
Actually 2 of them...loved that thing.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You have me beat... Chronologically at least.

Two points about the Poll.
  1. I voted incorrectly by accident. I moved off of Palm OS to Windows Mobile 2003 SE, but I accidentally clicked through on WM 2003.
  2. What about CE as the earliest version?

I started with an HP iPAQ rx3115 with Windows Mobile 2003 SE which I still have today. I just recently got a new battery for it as the old one is DOA. I used it heavily until about 2012. I also played around for a short while with a Samsung BlackJack II with WM 6.0...

Then I was off into Android, webOS and various things. Came back in at WP 8.0 with a Lumia 521 and never really looked back.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

This is an interesting thread. I started at Windows Phone 8 with the Lumia 521.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Started at Windows Phone 7 with an HTC Trophy. I'm not nearly OG (or even old enough) to have experience before that.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site

I was using Windows Mobile before the original iPhone came out. Left Windows for a long time with the use of iPhone's, Blackberries and Androids and came back for the 950XL and now the Elite x3.
I had probably 5 Windows Mobile (HTC and Palm) devices before I got the original iPhone and moved around from there.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

My love began when trying to build ROM's for TYTN II. Complete failure tho lmao.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

You have me beat... Chronologically at least.

Two points about the Poll.
  1. I voted incorrectly by accident. I moved off of Palm OS to Windows Mobile 2003 SE, but I accidentally clicked through on WM 2003.
  2. What about CE as the earliest version?

Even though PPC OS was built upon Windows CE, it is correct that Windows CE 1,2,3 can be a separate entity. But while CE technically did come before PPC 2000, it wasn't primarily a consumer facing device. A lot of bar scanners and company devices used this. As a strict differentiator, it didn't have Active Sync Components like PPC 2000 and greater. So this is really the only reason it wasn't included. But I wish I could add it to poll, maybe someone stole their company device and used it as their own:)

Last edited:

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

I had an Axim X5!
Actually 2 of them...loved that thing.
You remember all the kinds of accessories you can add to the Compact Flash Type II slot? I had a GPS Receiver (before they became integrated in today's devices), a 5GB CFII Hard Drive (still have it in a drawer), and the obligatory wireless adapter! Even had a fold out IR keyboard. Ah, memories..

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

You remember all the kinds of accessories you can add to the Compact Flash Type II slot? I had a GPS Receiver (before they became integrated in today's devices), a 5GB CFII Hard Drive (still have it in a drawer), and the obligatory wireless adapter! Even had a fold out IR keyboard. Ah, memories..

I do remember the accessories.
Drooled over all of the stuff I thought I "needed" :)
I did buy a Lexar 40MB CF card for mine...man that was gobs of memory!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

My first foray into Windows Mobile was on a HP hx4700 PDA somewhere around 2006-ish. I liked the similarity to desktop and I wanted to try something different to my Palm T/X. After a few months I discovered PPC Geeks and my flashing "career" was off and running. I got as far as the 6.5 ROM offered by some Russian that went by the name Spiattie. Long story short, I still have that T/X and use it almost every day and I haven't touched a WinMo in years.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm kinda weird so I won't answer the poll...

And I'm also late to the party compared to many.
My first Windows on mobile foray with with a Casio Cassiopeia A-11, which ran Windows CE 1.0. Found that in a drawer.

Other devices included those that ran Windows Mobile 5.0, 6.1, 6.5, a brief stint with a WP7-equipped HD2 and continuing with my 920, which was my true daily driver for more than a month so...

But at heart I'm a Palm guy.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Same
I don't even know what some of these things are. Bing is going to be my friend tonight.
Most of the gadgets being bandied about are PDAs. In case you're not familiar with those, they were/are Personal Digital Assistants. In the mid-2000s most of us were still using flip phones that had little or no "smart" features like we have today on even the most basic smartphones. Calendars, contacts and to-do lists were kept on these PDAs and we synced them to our desktops since none of them had cellular connectivity at the time. Wi-Fi wasn't as prevalent as it is now and cell phone data plans were still in their infancy so being connected was prohibitively expensive as well. Bluetooth DUN (Dial Up Networking) was the preferred tethering method but it was slooooow because of the BT standards of the day and 2G wasn't even a thing yet (oh the days of GPRS speeds). Wow, we're spoiled now aren't we. Anyhoo, when Palm introduced the Treo 650 in '04 (?) it was a revolution of biblical proportions. A phone and PDA in one!!!!! HTC ruled the roost in the early days of Windows Mobile (go figure) along with the HP iPAQ phones. Interesting tidbit since you're wondering about these relics, the HP h6300 was the first all-touch phone with a 3.5" display - NOT the iPhone as many would have you believe. Yes, you needed a stylus for most functions but it was the first in that size. I had one of these and I HATED it. Battery life was 2 minutes and it was a T-Mobile exclusive when they had a really bad network. Thank you for allowing me to take a stroll down bad memories lane.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Most of the gadgets being bandied about are PDAs. In case you're not familiar with those, they were/are Personal Digital Assistants. In the mid-2000s most of us were still using flip phones that had little or no "smart" features like we have today on even the most basic smartphones. Calendars, contacts and to-do lists were kept on these PDAs and we synced them to our desktops since none of them had cellular connectivity at the time. Wi-Fi wasn't as prevalent as it is now and cell phone data plans were still in their infancy so being connected was prohibitively expensive as well. Bluetooth DUN (Dial Up Networking) was the preferred tethering method but it was slooooow because of the BT standards of the day and 2G wasn't even a thing yet (oh the days of GPRS speeds). Wow, we're spoiled now aren't we. Anyhoo, when Palm introduced the Treo 650 in '04 (?) it was a revolution of biblical proportions. A phone and PDA in one!!!!! HTC ruled the roost in the early days of Windows Mobile (go figure) along with the HP iPAQ phones. Interesting tidbit since you're wondering about these relics, the HP h6300 was the first all-touch phone with a 3.5" display - NOT the iPhone as many would have you believe. Yes, you needed a stylus for most functions but it was the first in that size. I had one of these and I HATED it. Battery life was 2 minutes and it was a T-Mobile exclusive when they had a really bad network. Thank you for allowing me to take a stroll down bad memories lane.

Wow, thanks for the brief rundown and sorry for bringing up bad memories.

I am somewhat familiar with PDAs, I kind of wanted one at a point but I didn't know it was like that. I only knew about the first Palm one and then it fell out of my mind.

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site

I haven't even completed a decade in the realm of smartphones. After using my last Nokia (at the time) I got the HTC Touch Diamond (WM6.1). I loved the fact that it was super compact, had some basic buttons, and the LED round the main button would help me know whether I missed a call/message or whether the phone was fully charged. Oh, and there were plenty of apps for what I needed. (Take that, iPhone!)

The fact that it looked and felt somewhat similar to WinXP made the experience even better. Held out for nearly three years before I switched to an Android. Not too long after I went back to get what I thought at the time would be the last Nokia (920) and I loved the device, even though the OS felt like it dropped a lot of features from WM6.1 in favor of others. By the time WP8.1 rolled around all was good. That one lasted a solid three years with me (it still works) when I decided I needed an upgrade.

For its time, the Diamond was just that, a diamond. The Touchflow interface was amazing (better than the one used in newer HTCs, but maybe that's just me). And at the back end it really felt like a Windows machine of its time, though many apps required a qwerty pad, because they were more commonplace at the time. A Touch Pro would probably have been a better experience (it even had a camera flash!), but the Diamond was its more than competent little sibling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077