May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Looking for the most ardent WIndow Supporter, OG of the group

Lumia 1020 was my first phone and my second and current is lumia 540 :grincry:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I had a Compaq iPAQ running Pocket PC 2000 as my first foray in to Windows on a mobile device. It used CompactFlash if I recall. It was the 3650 model if I remember.

It looked like this, with a cradle.

s-l1000.jpg

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I started vicariously - my girlfriend needed a new phone so ended up getting a phone with 7.5 on it. I didn't end up on Windows Phone until the launch of 8.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

Most of the gadgets being bandied about are PDAs. In case you're not familiar with those, they were/are Personal Digital Assistants. In the mid-2000s most of us were still using flip phones that had little or no "smart" features like we have today on even the most basic smartphones. Calendars, contacts and to-do lists were kept on these PDAs and we synced them to our desktops since none of them had cellular connectivity at the time. Wi-Fi wasn't as prevalent as it is now and cell phone data plans were still in their infancy so being connected was prohibitively expensive as well. Bluetooth DUN (Dial Up Networking) was the preferred tethering method but it was slooooow because of the BT standards of the day and 2G wasn't even a thing yet (oh the days of GPRS speeds). Wow, we're spoiled now aren't we. Anyhoo, when Palm introduced the Treo 650 in '04 (?) it was a revolution of biblical proportions. A phone and PDA in one!!!!! HTC ruled the roost in the early days of Windows Mobile (go figure) along with the HP iPAQ phones. Interesting tidbit since you're wondering about these relics, the HP h6300 was the first all-touch phone with a 3.5" display - NOT the iPhone as many would have you believe. Yes, you needed a stylus for most functions but it was the first in that size. I had one of these and I HATED it. Battery life was 2 minutes and it was a T-Mobile exclusive when they had a really bad network. Thank you for allowing me to take a stroll down bad memories lane.

Ah yes, the early days! While I wasn't as techno-geek as pocket PC users, I was an early adopter of the Palm Pilot PDA. While the Pilot was awesome, I hated the scribble script interface, and envisioned a Palm-like device with a mini keyboard and a cell phone integrated in, then I saw a BlackBerry and soiled myself! I was a full on BlackBerry devotee up until a few years ago when my (and many others) Q10 keyboard was plagued by the dreaded double typing issue, and not only would BlackBerry do nothing about it, they wouldn't even acknowledge the problem! Even though I loved the new BB10 OS (still the best mobile OS of all time), it was time to move on. Windows Mobile was evolving nicely, so I decided on a Nokia Icon, which I still have, so I started with 8.0.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site

I feel like I'm missing something but here were my windows phones before I went to iPhone 1.

(Before I had a beeper or a simple smartphone (nokia or a old vk mobile) and a Palm Pilot like:
PalmPilot5000.jpg

Then on to the Windows phones: (First three were T-Mobile branded HTCs, I went through 3 of the second one)
HTC-Magician-0.jpg

HTC-Wizard-0.jpg

HTC-TyTN-1.jpg

HTC-Touch-0.jpg

Palm-Treo-Pro-0.jpg

This is making me feel really old... And I'm not. :/

augustaville

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi -
My first item in the mobile world was this little Compaq unit that I won at a computer show circa 1998. Fired it up last Christmas, runs okay. Has a stylus for the touchscreen and a pop-out modem connector. Runs on Windows CE, includes Pocket Excel and Pocket Word.
compaq portable.jpg

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Although my first was WM6.1, I didn't always stay with WM / WP....

WM 6.1 or 6.5 (Not sure, was a Palm Treo, I think the 800w)
WebOS
WP7
iOS (6-7 months)
WP7
WP8
WP8.1
WP10
Android (3 weeks)
WP10

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
A couple of preliminary observations..
1. So far xandros9 and augustaville are the OGs! Didn't think I would see CE personal devices! :)
2. It seems Microsoft did a lot of marketing for WP8 and pretty much NIL marketing for Windows 10 Mobile:)

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I feel like I'm missing something but here were my windows phones before I went to iPhone 1.

(Before I had a beeper or a simple smartphone (nokia or a old vk mobile) and a Palm Pilot like:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/PalmPilot5000.jpg

Then on to the Windows phones: (First three were T-Mobile branded HTCs, I went through 3 of the second one)
http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/phones/5657-large/HTC-Magician-0.jpg
http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/phones/4978-large/HTC-Wizard-0.jpg
http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/phones/6227-large/HTC-TyTN-1.jpg
http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/phones/8472-large/HTC-Touch-0.jpg
http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/phones/11080-large/Palm-Treo-Pro-0.jpg

This is making me feel really old... And I'm not. :/

You made me remember...I had an 8525! I had forgotten about that.
I feel much more part of the group now.
If I throw in $100, does that help at all? 😄

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

You made me remember...I had an 8525! I had forgotten about that.
I feel much more part of the group now.
If I throw in $100, does that help at all?

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

I'll PM you my PayPal account address for your donation. I'll make sure the Mod Staff awards you a proper attaboy.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If we are all talking about devices that runs Windows, in some form, then the Sega Dreamcast deserves a mention too. Arguably the best games console ever made.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

My first MS mobile device and I quite enjoyed it. Too lazy to charge the battery but it still works!

Note: This is the redesigned Kin TWOm that did not require a data plan.
WP_20170215_001.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)