What phone to buy?

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
OK, so I was a winphone advocate from my first device (lumia 620 - loved that phone) all the way through to my last handset which was a 950 (didnt like that one at all to be honest). Then I went off to the Apple camp for a bit (work provided mobile). Well, I will now have a personal phone again and I find myself longing for my old 620 again, powerful, small, packed with features, loved windows 8.1 etc etc.

So, my question is this - given that I take quite a few pics and listen to a fair bit of music, want a small phone with a good display and a decent battery, and am quite happy with a well cared for used phone, what would you recommend? I have spent days on phonearena doing comparisons and I think I have settled on the 925 (I know I cant add and SD, but the 32GB variant would do me to be honest). I am really looking for your advice, folks!!

Nick.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'll be concerned about getting a 925 at this point in time, unless you don't care for Windows 10 Mobile. I'm unsure how the batteries of the ones you can locate might be since it isn't removable (please correct me if I'm wrong). I would suggest something in the middle like a 735 possibly or a 830 (a bit bigger though)

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I'll be concerned about getting a 925 at this point in time, unless you don't care for Windows 10 Mobile. I'm unsure how the batteries of the ones you can locate might be since it isn't removable (please correct me if I'm wrong). I would suggest something in the middle like a 735 possibly or a 830 (a bit bigger though)

Sorry, should have said - I am not a big fan of windows 10 mobile or desktop for that matter so upgrade is not an issue. I do take your point about the battery though, I just want the smallest phone with a decent camera I can get, I would go back to the 620 if I thought the 5mp back camera could cut it.

Dual sim would be nice too (I know, I want it all 😋)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, should have said - I am not a big fan of windows 10 mobile or desktop for that matter so upgrade is not an issue. I do take your point about the battery though, I just want the smallest phone with a decent camera I can get, I would go back to the 620 if I thought the 5mp back camera could cut it.

Dual sim would be nice too (I know, I want it all ??????)

Yeah it's fine. I think you can still go for a 925 like you said, but also look out for the 735 and 830 (which has a 5" screen). It has Ziess lens. The 830 might work best camerawise but the 735 is kind of rare at this point :(

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Cheers, I really appreciate you taking the time (and the prompt replies). I looked at 735 also, but like you say, a bit rare.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In hand... I don't think the 925 and 830 are all that much different for size, feel, pocketability... Nokia Lumia 925 vs. Nokia Lumia 830 - GSMArena.com

The 830 is 10.4mm taller, but the width and thickness are nearly identical. So you get a 5" screen without adding too much size and none of it is bulk really (which to me seems more related to width and thickness).

The 830 inherits the styling of the 925 and is a really attractive device, IMHO.I'd put the SD 400 ahead of the S4+ for running things. Having had both phones (and I LOVED my 925 - it was the best when it came out) I believe the camera on the 830 will please you more. The 830 is a vastly underrated shooter.

Not a direct compare, but maybe have a look here since I put the 830 up against a 925 refresh. http://forums.windowscentral.com/de...mia-camera-shootout-928-vs-1520-vs-830-a.html

Oh yeah... I think 8.1 + Denim would indeed be a sweet spot for the 830.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
In hand... I don't think the 925 and 830 are all that much different for size, feel, pocketability... Nokia Lumia 925 vs. Nokia Lumia 830 - GSMArena.com

The 830 is 10.4mm taller, but the width and thickness are nearly identical. So you get a 5" screen without adding too much size and none of it is bulk really (which to me seems more related to width and thickness).

The 830 inherits the styling of the 925 and is a really attractive device, IMHO.I'd put the SD 400 ahead of the S4+ for running things. Having had both phones (and I LOVED my 925 - it was the best when it came out) I believe the camera on the 830 will please you more. The 830 is a vastly underrated shooter.

Not a direct compare, but maybe have a look here since I put the 830 up against a 925 refresh. http://forums.windowscentral.com/de...mia-camera-shootout-928-vs-1520-vs-830-a.html

Oh yeah... I think 8.1 + Denim would indeed be a sweet spot for the 830.
830 seems to have it over the 925. I never held an 830 but carried a 925 for awhile. One thing I see that's better about the 925 is the OLED screen. When I switched to a 1520, I missed having a screen where blacks weren't just very dark grey.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
OP already had a 950.

As for what to get, the iPhone SE is about the only nice, small phone in town.

The 830 isn't a bad choice either but it's aging and isn't the most compact device. (although compared to phones today it might be.)

How much storage does the SE have?

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
OP already had a 950.

As for what to get, the iPhone SE is about the only nice, small phone in town.

The 830 isn't a bad choice either but it's aging and isn't the most compact device. (although compared to phones today it might be.)

Sorry if my intentions weren't clear,I have had an iPhone for a while and I want to go back to Windows,I much prefer the windows environment and interface.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if my intentions weren't clear,I have had an iPhone for a while and I want to go back to Windows,I much prefer the windows environment and interface.

one other phone that's compact and has nice features is the xperia x compact. It has a decent camera, expandable memory, and a compact form factor. The only drawback is its android, but Sony has been doing a good job updating them.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
The 650 is a small compact phone but to me it suffers from being a low to middle class citizen. I have on but I only use it for backup in case my X3 is not performing up to snuff.

I also had the ICON for a long time and loved it but I'm an old guy and needed a large screen. You can find really good ICON's around for a decent price.

I think the 950 is a good size and you can't beat the camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs