Official Surface Phone Rumors Thread

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
maybe something from //build this week?

We've got the Harmon Kardon Invoke speaker confirmed for the fall...

Difficult to push a home assistant without a mobile platform to compliment it...here's hoping 2017 is THE YEAR!

That's a fair point, smart homes need supporting apps. You can't just be all voice. Could be a ready for consumers HoloLens with telephony though.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
so, 8 Zip Surface Edition - lists surface phone in the description in the store. Is it a prank, a nod, or do they know something we don't? Who knows!

The only thing that they know is that the term "Surface Phone" is widely searched for on Google and Bing. They're just putting a keyword in there to generate more traffic for their silly app.

Saeglopur89

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Still can't believe how Microsoft couldn't trade Office for Android to Google services on W10. That is one of the biggest reasons why in era of YouTube, Analytics etc. many people didn't even consider Windows Phones.

Imagine if now Surface Phone would launch, we are still in a bit same situation. Windows 10 S won't change it SPECIALLY if it has to be a competitor for Google Chromebooks. Although Surface Book was unannounced, nobody expected it, same with first Surface, only that last Surface Laptop was sort of expected and leaked. So who knows, in Shanghai it might be everything but we can be sure that it won't be Harman Kardon device because it's non MS product.

But why they would present any new hardware in China, not in US? If Surface Phone would be released probably it wouldn't be even available in China?! Does China have Cortana?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
But why they would present any new hardware in China, not in US? If Surface Phone would be released probably it wouldn't be even available in China?! Does China have Cortana?

Shanghai is the trade capital of china. China is the tech manufacturing capital of the world.

Presenting a device in Shanghai is a way of saying "here's our idea, would you like to make some too?" or perhaps "Here's our device, help us make it cheaply" or "we want companion devices for this tech". Either way its pitching to the manufacturers of technology, from the place they trade from.

Companies based in China:

Lenovo
Huawei
Xiaomi
Oppo
Chuwi/Teclast
JD.com
Cheetah Mobile
ZTE
Alibaba
Tencent Holdings

Three of those are the fastest growing names in smartphones. The reasons for it being in Shanghai should be somewhat obvious - whatever MS is unveiling, they want hardware partners (For example there are a host of VR platforms, smartwatches, smart glasses, smart home devices being made by companies like xiaomi).

China has a fast adopter mentality too, hybrid windows devices in China have been pretty big. Whatever it is, it will need to be global, so I am thinking something voice based is out of the question.

China also tends to make devices cheaper than the west. It may be MS wants help making affordable versions of its tech.

My best guess would be a consumer HoloLens with telephony.

But it could also very much be a windows on arm device (tablet?) - especially given the smartphone stronghold that is china, and it could even be a surface phone (probably not). Or a wearable. A step forward in VR.

Whatever it is, its doubtful to be boring, china being the tech hungry country that it is.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Shanghai is one of the most expensive city in the world today. Expect Suraface devices like phone, if any to be priced on par if not more expensive than fruit phone.😁

Saeglopur89

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I wanted to disagree at first because that China centric approach is part of bit old reality which is now facing some problems. But you might be right, it's still a meeting point for many partners.

So it might be more business oriented than towards standard consumers. It all sounds interesting because they didn't tell that want to present new hardware, now they do and at place like that.

IMHO it all fits for a new smartphone or their idea about it but I'm afraid it might be just wishful thinking ;) But almost all other options are dismissed, some even by Panos (like Surface 5). Any similiar hardware to Surface Laptop/Book would be in conflict with latest Laptop reveal.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Well I wanted to disagree at first because that China centric approach is part of bit old reality which is now facing some problems. But you might be right, it's still a meeting point for many partners.

So it might be more business oriented than towards standard consumers. It all sounds interesting because they didn't tell that want to present new hardware, now they do and at place like that.

IMHO it all fits for a new smartphone or their idea about it but I'm afraid it might be just wishful thinking ;) But almost all other options are dismissed, some even by Panos (like Surface 5). Any similiar hardware to Surface Laptop/Book would be in conflict with latest Laptop reveal.

Hmm, well IDK, I was thinking more of "the new kids on the block", so to speak, and the hardware production side (which whether its apple or MS, the components are all made somewhere in asia). In terms of being "an engineering and manufacturing engine", china never stopped being one.

But in terms of new trends, in the smartphone scene, Lenovo, Oppo and Huawei are strong and getting stronger every quarter. In fact, they are amongst the only ones still getting solid growth, in a pretty much saturated market condition.

Lenovo's got solid growth in tablets - again when folks like apple and Samsung, have seen a fall in growth, quarter after quarter. Partly of course, due to carrying windows hybrids. But windows tablets are pretty hot in china, even if most people still haven't heard of chuwi or teclast.

Xiaomi have a whole range of smart devices, I really like them actually. They have security sensors, smart locks, smart scales, smart flowerpots - at a fraction of the price of competitors. I have one of their fitness bands - it cost be twenty something usd! (Compare that to a fitbit). Kinda looking forward to the mi band 3, that's coming soon. I would love if they partnered with MS, on their homehub.

Whatever the west makes, china can make it cheaper. Partly because Asian manufacturers make all the parts - whether its the surface book screen, or the iPhone camera chip - and the companies that commission them don't own the IP.

It's bound to be something with some technology flair. The Chinese love new tech.

Could be a new phone, could be a new style of tablet, could be HoloLens related.

Whatever it is, it's definitely not the surface pro, or book - "the next thing", unveiled in a place like shanghai, it pretty much has to be something pretty new. Could also be software related, this new hardware - like a new kind of software, MS, wants Chinese OEMs to be installing (like a mixed reality suite, or a fully voice controlled wearable IoT device)

I think china's a really smart place to look for hardware partners. One of MS chief concerns versus android for example, is pricing. MS could really benefit from Chinese companies a) getting stronger as they are b) running MS products at those lower price points.

They hay day of premium phones is winding up. Tablets have shrunk. The HoloLens is very much overpriced (though not yet for consumers) - and android tablets are still cheaper than windows tablets. Windows on arm for e.g - MS definitely will want Chinese OEMs in that game. Zero doubt, they'll want Huawei, Lenovo, Xiaomi in that. Part of the reason to go on arm was price.

The other advantage of Chinese companies, is they are often willing to take risks. With so many companies, all vying for growth in technology markets, Chinese companies often try quite wacky things to get ahead. They have that desire to gamble on something new, see if it might pay out. That makes them sort of 'open minded'.

IDK, I guess we'll see, but I've been watching the Chinese tech sector start its bloom for some years now pretty closely. Really started about 4-5 years ago, but its started kicking in now, last quarterly results were quite telling of where the market is heading in mobile devices.

Either way, I'm glad to see MS reach out to them, whatever the product.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Whatever it is or whenever it is, they should offer a trade in program. Unless they wait even longer, then the remaining x50 phones will be too obsolete to be worth anything. The reason I say that is you got many die hard Lumia fans holding onto their x50 dreaming of that 'Surface Phone' release. Or if that 950 refresh like mentioned above comes along they should offer it there. Keep the consumers holding on until 2018 when they "release the Kraken"...Sorry just felt the need to say that:)

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
OTOH, of you read between the lines at Build this past week, MS is basically restating that WM10 on phones is DOA. They are focusing on Android and Iphones.

0F9dJG6.jpg

After all, they want to make sure Windows (and Office) remain relevant.

Sent from mTalk

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering how he drew that conclusion from the picture. I guess you could say they put the iphone and Android in front of the Windows phone, but that is a bit of a stretch.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I was wondering how he drew that conclusion from the picture. I guess you could say they put the iphone and Android in front of the Windows phone, but that is a bit of a stretch.

It's kinda like PC and windows phone are giving iPhone and Android a hug. Like they are part of the family.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
What Microsoft is doing in that regard is a step forward from my view point.

100% agreed. This non-consumer friendly pettiness that google and apple display has to end. We live in a world with LOTS of different devices. That's only going to increase. They will HAVE to play nice.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Surface phone is going to be surface mobile? It's almost here, the long wait is almost over!

Blurb from an MS related social channel:

"This is not just a handheld terminal. Based on the Qualcomm®Snapdragon ™ mobile platform, the perfect balance of performance and power consumption, and the added power to increase productivity; the new “ONTO TABLE” projection Continuum function, sustainable for more than an hour of desktop work; 185 degrees, providing a comfortable experience; equipped with exclusive Surface Pen, a key to call out OneNote, easy notes into. The new Surface peking and Surface Slavonia, not only a handheld terminal, it is a portable work platform."

What is Surface Peking? WTH is Surface Slavonia? How many months of saving up and eating just ramen would i have to go thru to be able to buy the "Surface Mobile"?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Surface phone is going to be surface mobile? It's almost here, the long wait is almost over!

"This is not just a handheld terminal. Based on the Qualcomm®Snapdragon ™ mobile platform, the perfect balance of performance and power consumption, and the added power to increase productivity; the new “ONTO TABLE” projection Continuum function, sustainable for more than an hour of desktop work; 185 degrees, providing a comfortable experience; equipped with exclusive Surface Pen, a key to call out OneNote, easy notes into. The new Surface peking and Surface Slavonia, not only a handheld terminal, it is a portable work platform."

What is Surface Peking? WTH is Surface Slavonia? How many months of saving up and eating just ramen would i have to go thru to be able to buy the "Surface Mobile"?

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I admin, I'm both disappointed and relieved at the same time.
Disappointed that I'll have to wait a little longer for the surface phone and relieved that my ramen diet can wait another day.

Still, I'll keep my hopes up for another couple of days. It can't hurt to dream a little.

anon(10242418)

May 19, 2017
Visit site

Only when and if Zac or Daniel confirm it I'm going to believe it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb