Sorry to say, new Phone will be D.O.A. Moly X1 rebrand...ouch!

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Firstly do not get me wrong.....I am first and foremost a Windows Phone supporter.

I just can not even think to back the crowd funded attempt by WB to enter the market with so poor a device as this.

I wish them well but this is going to fail and I can not believe they can't see the ship headed for the iceberg!!!

No USB C and only wireless Continuum, there is no way this can even hope to stand a chance vs an Idol 4S or even the Acer Jade Primo.

If they were to have any chance they should have looked at the Moly W6 PC Phone.

PcPhone - Moly PcPhone

I hope they find a way to reach their goal, but I think this will fall short like NuAns.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Not necessarily It is actually an X5, gutted with upgraded RAM and SOC. I think the camera is upped to 13mp too.

None the less it is not a home run, but that not the point they are making. I think it might have clear black display too, but we will have to wait and see.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I am not really sold on specs nowadays anyway. It is easy to get caught up in that race. W10M is about functionality and productivity, so it being a w10m crowd funded phone, not another android look-alike and for my region is a game winner, for me. The fact that they want to do this purely from the perspective of a Windows fan, taking in feedback directly for their own device even if it is re-branded says much and is good idea.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I am not really sold on specs nowadays anyway. It is easy to get caught up in that race. W10M is about functionality and productivity, so it being a w10m crowd funded phone, not another android look-alike and for my region is a game winner, for me. The fact that they want to do this purely from the perspective of a Windows fan, taking in feedback directly for their own device even if it is re-branded says much and is good idea.

Don't get me wrong, as I am not against any company starting up and showing Windows Mobile some love!!!! However they have to start in 2017....micro usb port as it's connection just will not fly. As wireless Continuum from almost every report is slow and laggy, not to the point of being unusable but not up to the standard of USB C.

It's not about specs for the most part, but the quote from the video I watched said "a new way of thinking".....and yes it would be new if this was 2014.

Over in the Microsoft Store the 3 main Windows Phone left Standing are The HP Elite X3, Alcatel Idol 4S and the poorly supported Acer Jade Primo.

All support USB C wired Continuum as does the Moly W6

Things will not get any better for WB as of next month when the Microsoft Store starts selling Samsung Galaxy S8's with Microsoft apps pre loaded. Add in Dex ( USB C Continuum like desktop) and everything in the Microsoft Store will be miles ahead of this offering.

I do wish them well, but should push come to shove I will take the Acer Primo as it's not much more and available in the store....no waiting till almost year end to get older hardware.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, as I am not against any company starting up and showing Windows Mobile some love!!!! However they have to start in 2017....micro usb port as it's connection just will not fly. As wireless Continuum from almost every report is slow and laggy, not to the point of being unusable but not up to the standard of USB C.

It's not about specs for the most part, but the quote from the video I watched said "a new way of thinking".....and yes it would be new if this was 2014.

Over in the Microsoft Store the 3 main Windows Phone left Standing are The HP Elite X3, Alcatel Idol 4S and the poorly supported Acer Jade Primo.

All support USB C wired Continuum as does the Moly W6

Things will not get any better for WB as of next month when the Microsoft Store starts selling Samsung Galaxy S8's with Microsoft apps pre loaded. Add in Dex ( USB C Continuum like desktop) and everything in the Microsoft Store will be miles ahead of this offering.

I do wish them well, but should push come to shove I will take the Acer Primo as it's not much more and available in the store....no waiting till almost year end to get older hardware.

I agree that USB C would have been nice. I do hope they sell well though. I think I heard $299? Might be a good starter phone for people thinking of moving to WM. Hope the experience is good.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
IMHO this phone is not based on a refreshed Moly X1. It appears to be more of a melding of the Moly W5 and the Moly PCphone. Certainly the body, screen and battery would be straight out of the W5. Some of the internals (SD 617, 32/3, 13MP camera) would be lifted from the PCphone.

I did an extensive review of the Moly W5 and found the elements that Moment retains from that device to be praiseworthy. The build quality, design and feel are excellent - and the Moment adds GG3 to the back. The screen is sublime: great colors, outstanding adapatbility to light levels and they have ClearBlack on the LCD panel for a very good viewing experience in full sunlight. Interested parties can see my full review of the Moly W5 here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/coship-moly-w5/433404-[user-reviews%5...

I know that the Moly X1 got pretty good marks from Daniel Rubino and is probably a bit more familiar to readers... I just don't see where it enters into the pedigree of the Moment.

I think that the Moment makes clever use of what the ODM has for strengths and melds it into a balanced package that is a worthy first effort and something to take note of. I believe they worked hard to get to the price point they achieved, something reasonable. I also see some value in the people behind the Cerulean idea and this is why I'm supporting it. There are other makers out there for Windows Mobile, but only a few and none so obviously dedicated and passionate as Greg Murphy. This is a beginning, If you care at all about the direction of this platform, if you value the UX of Windows on Mobile, if you want support from a company that has a burning desire for Windows on Mobile to succeed, if you want to be a part of something and help it grow...

I have a Lumia 1020, I have a Lumia 1520, I drive an Idol 4S Windows daily and I'm still enthusiastic about the Cerulean Moment. I want this phone and the next one they bring to market. We have to start somewhere...

This isn't a purchase. This is taking a stand. This is an investment in YOURSELF as well as the future of the platform. This is a declaration of defiance against the status quo...

#ThisIsOurMoment #ColorMeCerulean

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
IMHO this phone is not based on a refreshed Moly X1. It appears to be more of a melding of the Moly W5 and the Moly PCphone. Certainly the body, screen and battery would be straight out of the W5. Some of the internals (SD 617, 32/3, 13MP camera) would be lifted from the PCphone.

I did an extensive review of the Moly W5 and found the elements that Moment retains from that device to be praiseworthy. The build quality, design and feel are excellent - and the Moment adds GG3 to the back. The screen is sublime: great colors, outstanding adapatbility to light levels and they have ClearBlack on the LCD panel for a very good viewing experience in full sunlight. Interested parties can see my full review of the Moly W5 here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/coship-moly-w5/433404-[user-reviews%5...

I know that the Moly X1 got pretty good marks from Daniel Rubino and is probably a bit more familiar to readers... I just don't see where it enters into the pedigree of the Moment.

I think that the Moment makes clever use of what the ODM has for strengths and melds it into a balanced package that is a worthy first effort and something to take note of. I believe they worked hard to get to the price point they achieved, something reasonable. I also see some value in the people behind the Cerulean idea and this is why I'm supporting it. There are other makers out there for Windows Mobile, but only a few and none so obviously dedicated and passionate as Greg Murphy. This is a beginning, If you care at all about the direction of this platform, if you value the UX of Windows on Mobile, if you want support from a company that has a burning desire for Windows on Mobile to succeed, if you want to be a part of something and help it grow...

I have a Lumia 1020, I have a Lumia 1520, I drive an Idol 4S Windows daily and I'm still enthusiastic about the Cerulean Moment. I want this phone and the next one they bring to market. We have to start somewhere...

This isn't a purchase. This is taking a stand. This is an investment in YOURSELF as well as the future of the platform. This is a declaration of defiance against the status quo...

#ThisIsOurMoment #ColorMeCerulean

Couldn't have said it better.
If I buy it, it will mainly be to support the company and their endeavor.
How will you use the phone? Weekends? Rotate with your others?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Put it on the fast ring. :0
From my perspective it is probably going to be the only SoC 617 phone with actual support from the OEM (at least for NA). I am eager to see how it does. @RumoredNow They did pull/mixed matched parts from the coship phones. Which I was really hoping they would do.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Thanks.

When mine arrives, I'll set it up, pop my SIM in and drive that puppy for all it's worth. I love evaluating devices and I'd love to do a review of this one.

See my review of the Moly W5 and also my review of Liquid Glass. The body they have used on the Moment is impressively solid with a tight build, looks great and feels great in the hand. With the addition of Gorilla Glass 3 to the back, this thing would be a pleasure to carry naked with Liquid Glass to help protect it and keep the fingerprints off. IMHO, the pocketability of this body is top shelf.

I really don't "need" as much phone as the 1520 or the Idol 4S Windows for everyday. I like it, but don't need it. I can easily see this phone being a daily driver for many. One thing said by @mistagreg in the interview that had me saying, "right on," is the way that he pushed to find out WHO made the camera so they could get the right drivers on board for it. This is something Idol 4S fails at. Alcatel let the Qualcomm SoC control the camera and the Sony sensor suffers for it. People who read the forums here may have noticed I like to take pictures with my phones. Can't wait for camera samples to emerge and to play with the 13MP shooter myself.

How will I use it? I'll just treat it like my phone and drive it daily. I also have a Band 2 so anything "missing" like Hey Cortana, Glance, Motion Core won't affect me.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Will be interested to see how the camera performs. I hear lots of complaints about non-Lumia phones from diehards. If the camera is decent, it may draw people to it.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Excuse me if I seem uninformed about "crowdfunding" but I am under the impression that if they don't hit the required numbers they are after then No One will be getting this phone sent to them. If this is incorrect please enlighten me

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It also seems as if the hardware is a bit cobbled together. but I will withhold judgement on that until someone actually uses one of these devices that is working on every level. I applaud the efforts of the entire Whartonbooks team to bring a Windows phone to market that will satisfy those of us that are still big fans of the W10 mobile platform.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It also seems as if the hardware is a bit cobbled together.

I don't know first hand, but I'm under the impression that the Wharton Brooks crew went through a few iterations and combinations to get the right feel to the device. Again, the frame is solid, the screen is great. I can attest to that much as I used a Moly W5 quite a bit. I loaned it out once to someone who needed a backup while their regular Android got fixed and they had zero complaints. I sold it to a forum user here and @Blake Seaman has no complaints either. He will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong or chime in with support of my assertions. For a budget phone I think Moly W5 was very usable, if a bit overpriced at $200... For only $100 more the Cerulean Moment is going to bump up from SD 210 to SD 617, from 8GB internal to 32GB, from 1GB RAM to 3GB, from 5MP main camera and 2MP ffc to 13MP main and 5MP ffc... That's a lot more bang for $100 and the back is now GG3 instead of the plastic back on the W5 AND you get a ScreenBeam for wireless Continuum. Heck, I paid like $50 dollars for my ScreenBeam and that was the best price I found at the time.

#ThisIsOurMoment

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I don't know first hand, but I'm under the impression that the Wharton Brooks crew went through a few iterations and combinations to get the right feel to the device. Again, the frame is solid, the screen is great. I can attest to that much as I used a Moly W5 quite a bit. I loaned it out once to someone who needed a backup while their regular Android got fixed and they had zero complaints. I sold it to a forum user here and @Blake Seaman has no complaints either. He will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong or chime in with support of my assertions. For a budget phone I think Moly W5 was very usable, if a bit overpriced at $200... For only $100 more the Cerulean Moment is going to bump up from SD 210 to SD 617, from 8GB internal to 32GB, from 1GB RAM to 3GB, from 5MP main camera and 2MP ffc to 13MP main and 5MP ffc... That's a lot more bang for $100 and the back is now GG3 instead of the plastic back on the W5 AND you get a ScreenBeam for wireless Continuum. Heck, I paid like $50 dollars for my ScreenBeam and that was the best price I found at the time.

#ThisIsOurMoment

Love your passion for this. I'll admit I knew nothing about this before following some of your posts and just seeing your passion for this device has me interested and following this story.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LOL I'm definitely proselytizing here.

But look back at my Moly W5 review:
Microsoft has retreated into the inner sanctum and vowed to return with reference devices to light the way forward, but for now – and for the future – they have asked OEMs to come back to the Windows fold and bring handsets to the consumer. And we consumers owe it to ourselves and our beloved platform to sweep out the old mindset and usher in a new one. Yearn all you want for a new Lumia, it looks like it just won’t happen. There’s a new era and it’s going to be populated with new players. Some of those players will rise and some will fall. Unless the users of Windows 10 Mobile embrace some of these new players there won’t be much hope for the platform moving forward. If nobody buys the handsets being offered today, then OEMs won’t have incentive to bring forth more tomorrow. It is literally do or die time.

Pardon me; if this is reading as part manifesto and part evangelism, I can assure you it is quite intentional.

I’m no stranger to budget devices or budget phones for Windows. A Lumia 521 lured me in with a great price when I was using a Nexus 4 as a daily driver back in 2013. The 521 won me over to the User Interface and the ecosystem and I never looked back. I moved on to higher end handsets with Lumia 925 and 1520 among others, but I’ve also sampled Lumia 520, 635 and 640. I’ve tried non-Lumias as well, logging serious time with BLU Win HD and HD LTE. I like to believe I know what to expect from models in the low, mid and high ranges and hope I can bring those experiences to this review to help present a balanced opinion. I want to be fair, but tough. We need new OEMs for Windows 10 Mobile, but they should not get a free pass. If they want our support they need to bring something to the game and if they do, we owe it to ourselves to support them in turn.

I believe that more urgently now than I did almost a year ago when I wrote it and further back when I started realizing it.

It's crunch time. We either find someone to support or no one will support us. It's black and white, cut and dried, yes or no, 1 or 0. We decide. I'm not willing to sit idly by and allow the negativity of some to ruin my chance. I'mma fight for it tooth and nail, fang and claw, blood and sweat, do or die.

#CeruleanKnights

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I may get this and put it on the next round of the Insiders. It will give me a chance to play with that without it being my primary phone. I've been a coward about doing that with my Idol 4S.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

But when the specs are the same if not lower than the phone we got two years ago...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But when the specs are the same if not lower than the phone we got two years ago...

To me, the specs are solid enough. Look at the reality. This is a small maker placing a small order. There are NO deep discounts for parts due to volume. I was worried that this would be a full on PCphone rebranding and it would come in at $400+. I think they found a clever way to reach $300 and the ScreenBeam is a sweetener at that price. Chasing specs is not what this device is about anyway.

#ThisIsOurMoment

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven