09-04-2017 11:23 AM
162 12345 ...
tools
    Switching to Android not only means leaving behind everything I love about the OS, but everything I love about the apps I use, from Chronos Calendar to Loco Music to Microsoft Mojang. I don't want to abandon the apps I've grown to love since 2012 and have to hunt for replacements all over again.

Just realised I didn't actually mention the phone at all. That's where we're at really; the hardware is fairly irrelevant at this plateau of the smartphone market. If I was going to switch to Android I'd have done it already. The S8 changes little.
    TgeekB, RumoredNow and fatclue_98 like this.
    04-07-2017 04:05 PM
    I'm an IT professional. I have 75 Windows Phones deployed to staff. My wife and I have been Windows Phone users since the Samsung Focus. I have kept all of our old Windows Phones (920/640/830), which still work, and we currently have 950's We'll stop using Windows Phones when all of those phones bite the dust.

The integration of Windows Phone with my Surface, and both my work and home PCs is something I don't want to give up. And even outside of the ecosystem, the phones just do what we need them to do, The app gap has never really been an issue for us. IE and Edge have been an occasional PITA, but everything else is fine for the most part.

I have used and supported Android and iPhone in the past, and I don't look forward to having to go back to that. Since I switched our company to Windows Phones, I don't ever really have to work on phones anymore. With the other two platforms, I had someone in my office every single week with a phone problem.

All Windows Phone needs is for its creator to support it, listen to its fans, and let us go into the world and show other what it can do. Given the common kernel and C-Shell, how costly could it really be to continue to support it? MS Took away Media Center, which I loved, and now they seem disinterested and supporting another product I love.
    04-07-2017 04:08 PM
    I'm good with my Idol 4S for the next three years. If there are no windows phones by then, I guess I'll just get a Nokia 3310. I hate iOS and Android that much.
    04-07-2017 04:24 PM
    No matter how much marketing hype they throw out there, they can't convince me the S8 will improve my smartphone experience. My Idol4s, along with W10, meet most every need I have.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    04-07-2017 04:33 PM
    See it quite the same. The s8 is greatly overhyped. Nothing unique about it... Everything has been done by the hp elite x3 or the newest lg smartphones.

There is only multiwindow support in desktop mode which is "newer" but it comes with big disadvantages like an active fan (louder and needs a dock by samsung... Can not just use a usb-c dongle), not being able to use it wireless and not being able to use the touchscreen as touchpad for it and even if they could do it wireless... If they need a fan it means a high energy consumption (heat = energy).

Looks like some kind of dual boot with chrome os and android there... I would take that for granted if you are emulating x86, but it is not.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-07-2017 05:35 PM
    I got a hands on with the new S8 and honestly I'm not impressed. Unless your an Android fan, you wont like this phone. Windows Phone users are Windows Phone users for a reason. We like the integration into the ecosystem. Even while flawed, I prefer using Windows Mobile over either of the other 2 options. I came to Windows Mobile from Blackberry. I tried both iOS and Android and just could not adapt. The primary reason is I'm a business user. I could care less that I dont have Snapchat and all the other consumer games and play apps. I use my phone for specific needs and Windows Mobile meets those needs. Yes, its frustrating at times, but after working in technology for 0ver 25 years, I'm used to it. I feel that the Windows Phone users are a niche group market that will expand later in the future when the product matures into what Microsofts vision of what our communication devices will look like in the future. Notice I am not using the word "phone" since I believe we will morph into a single device down the road. A true portable PC that also does voice communication as a function. Just my own personal thoughts. Thank you for indulging me.
    To be honest.
    I don't know.
    On one side MS with almost zero wowfactordevelopment.
    And on the other side Android building his way to the top.

And the hardware?
    Seen one windows device you seen them all.
    There is not one device that sweeps people of there feet.
    Cortana is stil cripled.
    As is Continuum.

On hardware?
    Not many choises...
    and MS is not helping by pulling from time to time there 950 (xl) out of the store.
    And other windows devices are hard to come by.

If that doesnt change in a year or so then i might jump ship.
    For now i am stil content with my 950
    04-07-2017 06:29 PM
    Microsoft Lumia 950xl user here. Also still possess the Nokia Lumia 925, the HTC HD7 and the HTC HD2, so I've invested heavily in Windows Mobile/Phone over the years. If nothing positive comes out at Build 2017 regarding the future of the platform, I'm getting the Galaxy S8+ later this year (love that beautiful screen). Enough is enough with the wishy washy dillydallying from the Microsoft leadership. Either you intend to explicitly support the platform going forward or you plan to shut the thing down. Either way, loyal users are completely fed up of the dumbing down of the ecosystem and the disrespectful silence meted out to Windows loyalists.
    Timbre70 and cheetahwig1 like this.
    04-07-2017 06:29 PM
    I'll be sticking with my 950XL for now. I came close to getting an HP Elite, but after further thought, I stayed with the 950XL. There is nothing wrong with it and it is performing very well for a two year old phone, that I use daily in the bush. I've used Android phones over the years, but they just aren't my thing.
    Timbre70 and RumoredNow like this.
    04-07-2017 08:05 PM
    No switch for me....my 950 XL is awesome! Amazing camera! Why spend $$$$$$ when i'm super happy
    Timbre70, editguy and RumoredNow like this.
    04-07-2017 09:56 PM
    I haven't used any high end phones of android and windows phone but I have used lot of low and mid range phone of android and windows phone, In which windows phone is top in terms of performance,battery life,OS stability etc but if there will no mid range phone then I will have to switch, hope that will not happen.

Sent from mTalk
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-07-2017 11:25 PM
    No I won't ditch my WP for the Galaxy S8, but I'm just about decided to ditch it for the Sony Xperia XZ Premium when it comes out in June. It uses the 835 snapdragon chip, has 4 gigs of RAM, a dedicated camera button (I love that on my WP), 19mp camera (nearly as good as my 950XL's), a 13mp front wide-angle camera (better than what I have), 64gigs of storage and a slot to add up to 256gb more of storage. I am tired of waiting, and feel foolish for holding on to my underdog loyalty to MS for so long. Microsoft's actions show that they don't care about us any longer and it's time I stop being so dogmatically supportive of a sinking ship. So I'm 99% sure I'll jump for a life raft in June.
    04-07-2017 11:53 PM
    I have been looking for a replacement for my Lumia 950XL and frankly there's nothing out there to compare. My Lumia has dual sims and a 256gb sd card. The camera is amazing and the editing software is better than anything available out of the box on android or ios. The so called app gap is something made up by people who do not use Windows mobile to justify their choice of mobile device. If I am forced into changing I'll probably look at the HP x3 before looking elsewhere. Apple is definitely out of the running right now. We'll be holding thumbs for a killer surface phone being announced soon.
    04-08-2017 12:14 AM
    "If they don't release new W10M devices I'll have to switch to Android"

I never get this mindset and it makes less sense than ever in 2017 when new devices bring so little extra to the table anyway. Even if we pretend that no W10M devices are being made (plot twist: they are), the phones we have right now still function great and can be replaced by other W10M devices. You don't have to bend over to advertisers trying to tell you that you need a new device.
    04-08-2017 04:28 AM
    I got a hands on with the new S8 and honestly I'm not impressed. Unless your an Android fan, you wont like this phone. Windows Phone users are Windows Phone users for a reason. We like the integration into the ecosystem. Even while flawed, I prefer using Windows Mobile over either of the other 2 options. I came to Windows Mobile from Blackberry. I tried both iOS and Android and just could not adapt. The primary reason is I'm a business user. I could care less that I dont have Snapchat and all the other consumer games and play apps. I use my phone for specific needs and Windows Mobile meets those needs. Yes, its frustrating at times, but after working in technology for 0ver 25 years, I'm used to it. I feel that the Windows Phone users are a niche group market that will expand later in the future when the product matures into what Microsofts vision of what our communication devices will look like in the future. Notice I am not using the word "phone" since I believe we will morph into a single device down the road. A true portable PC that also does voice communication as a function. Just my own personal thoughts. Thank you for indulging me.
    Literally, I see nothing better in S8 comparing to my 950 XL. Also, this is Android, which makes me

Even my old good BlackBerry Z10 is better choice, than S8.
    RumoredNow, TgeekB and editguy like this.
    04-08-2017 05:37 AM
    No I won't ditch my WP for the Galaxy S8, but I'm just about decided to ditch it for the Sony Xperia XZ Premium when it comes out in June. It uses the 835 snapdragon chip, has 4 gigs of RAM, a dedicated camera button (I love that on my WP), 19mp camera (nearly as good as my 950XL's), a 13mp front wide-angle camera (better than what I have), 64gigs of storage and a slot to add up to 256gb more of storage. I am tired of waiting, and feel foolish for holding on to my underdog loyalty to MS for so long. Microsoft's actions show that they don't care about us any longer and it's time I stop being so dogmatically supportive of a sinking ship. So I'm 99% sure I'll jump for a life raft in June.
    Among all that specs You forgot one main "thing"... this is Android! It kills all mentioned above!
    04-08-2017 05:40 AM
    I don't like android or Ios but with no options other than costly/two year old ones like Lumia 950xl, I will be forced to change when my Lumia 640xl gives up. Too little ram in it for current usage. Considering the One Plus 3t in India. :(
    04-08-2017 07:20 AM
    Duh...more screen = more VR Pron pleasure in HDR
    04-08-2017 10:38 AM
    I still love my Lumia 950 since I bought it at a fair price last september. Before that, I had bought a 650, that I decided to keep, after my purchase of the 950, as my "back up phone"'. Both phones got all the updates so far. Looking forward the Creators Update. I hope the update will be as smooth as it was on my Surface Pro 4, earlier this week. If I can keep my Band 2 (with lots of electric black tape on the rubber), I have no reason to get rid of my 950 protected both with Mozo and a Ghostek Case!! :)
    PS. I hope Microsoft will tell us (at least a little) about their intentions for Windows 10 mobile at the next Build in May! I'm proud to be a Loyal Fan and I want this Mobile OS to survive... whether it is on ARM or not... :)
    TgeekB and robwards like this.
    04-08-2017 11:41 AM
    This is a really great discussion. I'm very interested in the different opinions and viewpoints. Everyone has different needs and requirements. Especially when it comes to business users vs consumers. I would agree that it would "appear" that MSFT has abandoned consumers but I honestly feel thats temporary. Their strength in developement is on the business side. So when they retrenched, it would be natural for them to focus on that side, build the product, then adapt to the consumer market after the fact. The benefits to the business market of a single ecosystem are huge. I for one look forward to taking advantage of that capability. But, in order to grow market, the consumer side has to be addressed as well. I feel a lot more progress will be made once we see the next hardware iteration which I feel will be more of a personal PC that makes phone calls, rather than a phone that does PC stuff. Time will tell. In the meantime, I'm sticking it out. :)
    TgeekB, fatclue_98, raycpl and 2 others like this.
    04-08-2017 12:24 PM
    I moved from my 1520 to IPhone (which was a bust) to the OnePlus 3t. I did this because I didn't have much of an option to do otherwise. My 1520 is at the end of the road for development and I've never got the bug to get the 950XL. Something about that phone is more uninspiring as compared to my beloved 1520. Its had a nice run to say the least. In the meantime, I'll rock my OnePlus3t as my daily driver.
    On another note, and let me preference this by saying I don't believe the whole Surface Phone myth. I think it is a nice idea but one born out of a desire to compete but nothing more than that.
    Anyway, one idea I've been toying with is MS should seriously consider is building tons of apps that ride the Android OS in much the same manor Google search standardized on the Windows desktop. Microsoft could fork to allow could creation of a Microsoft phone that runs on the Android OS and call it just that. Microsoft Phone or Microsoft Mobile. Microsoft Garage is in a very unique position and is already building on that OS anyway so expand that staff and allow them to produce Microsoft Mobile. In this way, we get to run all of what MS produces and whatever they don't we'll get from developers that don't spend much time developing for the Windows Phone platform.
    Scienceguy Labs and libra89 like this.
    04-08-2017 01:02 PM
    I've been a windows phone die hard since the initial release of version 8. Taking part in the insider program and even convincing friends and family it is a better platform than android and iOS.

However, the wait for a new, sexy handset to match the W10 OS is starting to stretch the patience. My daughters run an iPhone 7 and I've been watching the hype in the new Galaxy S8. Both are good looking devices, then I turn back to the brick that is my Lumia phone. Microsoft need to understand the awesome OS is only half the battle.

My contract comes up for renewal in the summer, and with complete radio silence from Microsoft over the future of the platform, and no new devices on the horizon I have to seriously consider the switch to the S8.

It will be a sad day I say goodbye to W10 but wouldn't want to tie myself for two years to an OS with an unknown future on a handset that is starting to look very dated now, never mind in two years time.

*sigh* it was a good run while it lasted.
    04-08-2017 03:14 PM
    I am tempted to switch to the galaxy 8plus. I am currently using the alkatel idol s pro. I am curious about the Microsoft version of this phone and what that means exactly. If it just well the Microsoft apps are loaded . That kinda lame . It would be wonderfull if get the phone just load windows 10 mobile on it myself. Also wondering why cant they just have it android and a windows 10 mobile ui well
    Grant Hildyard1 likes this.
    04-08-2017 07:03 PM
    I am tempted to switch to the galaxy 8plus. I am currently using the alkatel idol s pro. I am curious about the Microsoft version of this phone and what that means exactly. If it just well the Microsoft apps are loaded . That kinda lame . It would be wonderfull if get the phone just load windows 10 mobile on it myself. Also wondering why cant they just have it android and a windows 10 mobile ui well
    That's all it is. Just apps pre-loaded.
    Zeem Frostmaw and RumoredNow like this.
    04-08-2017 07:16 PM
    Well I just pre-ordered the S8+. I really gave it more thought than I should have. As much as I love and defended Windows mobile, I feel it's finally time to move on. If Microsoft ever gets its head out of it's arse, maybe I'll switch back. A silver lining is that my L950 will go to my wife to replace her L650.
    04-08-2017 07:23 PM
    I have ordered an S8+. I use a Elite X3 which is fantastic, its my third one though. Faults such as SD card drop outs, finger print readers not working has taken its toll on me. Whilst its not a consumer phone, business still require a quality camera, which this thing has not got. Yes, its been improved, but still lacklustre.

I have moved between Android and Windows Mobile the last few years and always came back to Windows as I have been with the platform since Windows Phone 7. Recently used a Huawei Mate 9 Pro which is an amazing handset. Nadella needs something amazing for me to stick with the platform though.

My dream would be for MSFT or Samsung or the likes to create a Windows Build that works on newer android handsets such as the S8+. I can deal with the app gap, but give me some new hardware.
    04-08-2017 09:11 PM
162 12345 ...