Why I wont leave Windows Mobile for the S8

FAQMD2

Apr 10, 2017
Visit site
I am just the opposite. My wife and I are thinking about trying out the HP Elite X3 since there was a significate price drop.

She uses the typical Social Media apps and I do no Social media at all. Therefore, apps are not a big issue for us.

We both want a 6" Phablet and the S8+ even though it looks really nice, it does not seem practical for business use. The S8+ narrow screen with the edge style gives you less screen room to work with than on a Note 4 that my wife owns. And, it appears that Samsung will be putting the same type of edge screen on the upcoming Note 8.

Therefore, we're seriously considering the HP Elite X3. My concern is that Microsoft will be coming out with a surface phone in 18 months and the X3 will be deemed obsolete.

I would apprecate any feedback as to the X# being a viable phone for call quality, texting, email, surfing the web and other business function.

Thank you!

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have absolutely no reason or desire to switch over to Android, certainly not a Saumsung GS8 - it's way too expensive. My other half has a OnePlus and she really enjoys it which is great. Whenever I use it, I see some things I like in terms of features but there is nothing like the fluidity and cohesion that you get on Windows 10. All the homescreens and custom UIs that Android allow OEMs and third parties to create are terribly convoluted, resource hungry, inconsistent and some them downright ugly. At least you can say that IOS ensures a level of consistency and uniformity (if boring and static icons are your thing).

It goes without saying that if you're all in on Microsoft's services, you're not served better on the other platforms, there's better, deeper integration on Windows as you'd expect. The only way I would switch is if I am forced to by hardware failure and no supported Windows hardware alternative. Let's hope it never comes to that.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I've done what I swore I wouldn't do both here and on Android Central. I was hell bent on skipping this Galaxy S for the 1st time and went and pre-ordered the Galaxy s8 Plus. I got another iPhone 7 Plus a few weeks ago and made my L950xl my 2nd phone. Loved getting the use of my Apple watch again which was just sitting in a drawer and also the dual cameras are the best I've used on any phone....but even after just a few weeks I'm growing bored with it already and been picking up the 950xl more and more to use. My wife works for Sky Tv here in the UK and they've just become a phone network now too so she gets subsidised phones so she ordered me the S8 Plus in black and I get it a week earlier than general release here too so can't wait and I'm just gonna sell the apple watch and put the money toward a Gear S3 Frontier or a new Androidwear watch

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I've done what I swore I wouldn't do both here and on Android Central. I was hell bent on skipping this Galaxy S for the 1st time and went and pre-ordered the Galaxy s8 Plus. I got another iPhone 7 Plus a few weeks ago and made my L950xl my 2nd phone. Loved getting the use of my Apple watch again which was just sitting in a drawer and also the dual cameras are the best I've used on any phone....but even after just a few weeks I'm growing bored with it already and been picking up the 950xl more and more to use. My wife works for Sky Tv here in the UK and they've just become a phone network now too so she gets subsidised phones so she ordered me the S8 Plus in black and I get it a week earlier than general release here too so can't wait and I'm just gonna sell the apple watch and put the money toward a Gear S3 Frontier or a new Androidwear watch
Ain't no shame in it. You're looking out for Number 1.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I'll use Windows Mobile as long as my core needs are met.

O have lovely core apps, a modern browser, FB, Messenger, Skype, Whatsapp and Youtube. I'm set.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I got a hands on with the new S8 and honestly I'm not impressed. Unless your an Android fan, you wont like this phone. Windows Phone users are Windows Phone users for a reason. We like the integration into the ecosystem. Even while flawed, I prefer using Windows Mobile over either of the other 2 options. I came to Windows Mobile from Blackberry. I tried both iOS and Android and just could not adapt. The primary reason is I'm a business user. I could care less that I dont have Snapchat and all the other consumer games and play apps. I use my phone for specific needs and Windows Mobile meets those needs. Yes, its frustrating at times, but after working in technology for 0ver 25 years, I'm used to it. I feel that the Windows Phone users are a niche group market that will expand later in the future when the product matures into what Microsofts vision of what our communication devices will look like in the future. Notice I am not using the word "phone" since I believe we will morph into a single device down the road. A true portable PC that also does voice communication as a function. Just my own personal thoughts. Thank you for indulging me.

I pre-ordered the GS8, but i will miss W10M..........it has its issues, no doubt, but it is just a more intuitive, and better OS than Android, its too bad they did away with project Astoria, because, if i could install .apk files, i would have no reason to leave. The paltry app store, and lack of support from 3rd party developers are my reasons for switching back to Android, and those reasons only. If there was app parity, i wouldnt even consider it.

treiz

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I have no interest in Android nor iOS. If Microsoft stops making Windows mobile devices I will pick up a dumb phone and tote a Windows tablet. Already did the same for my Microsoft Band, I just went back to my Casio. I have money, it's a shame Microsoft doesn't seem to want any of it. For now I am happy with my Elite X3.

Theonlyix

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Well sure. ill jump ship to random galaxy phone when they meet my standards. I have probably the largest collection of phones here, from the 90s and up. The only phones not working today are all my older android sets (fragmentation is real, and updates ARE rare in camp android, make no misstake). They just arent very good or thought through.
When Samsung release a Windows 10 version of their device, i might try it. Until then, my L950 and its companion, my L950 will be enough. Cant really see what the app fuzz is about, almost everything i use works like a charm.
Good looking device though, the S8 . When buying into android, dont buy older devices, and only buy from the top 3 devices so you wont be left without updates.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I much prefer Win10 over Android and iOS. That being said, I don't absolutely hate Android. The only real problem I have with it is each device is only on an 18-24 month support cycle. After that time, you'll be lucky if your device continues to update. I've had this issue before with an Android device that more or less self destructed around the 18 month mark and just got to be too much of a hassle to work around. After this point, you're more or less forced to buy a new device. I've had the same Windows phone for almost three years now with nary a hiccup. It's been a fantastic phone, is running the latest and greatest Win10 updates and I have no reason to believe it will stop until Microsoft stops putting out updates. Or at least until there are some significant changes in phone hardware that change how the phone OS is written. Yes, the phone could also die from other issues as well. All that being said, I have no misconceptions that I will have to buy a new phone at some point in the future. Functionally, it works. However, in a world of smartphones that can serve other functions though, it can only get you so far. I've never been focused on the apps, as I've always had what I NEEDED, but I have to admit, the app gap is widening and it will continue to widen as the Windows Store continues to hemorrhage developers. And not just phone developers, but PC app developers as well.

It's been said time and time again, that Microsoft needs to show us something and soon. BDC is coming up in May. There have also been reports of a Surface event taking place sometime this spring, but nothing has been confirmed. It's all just rumors and speculation. If they aren't even willing to give an official announcement of an event that's supposed to take place in the next month, there's no reason to believe they would give us an inkling of what their plans are for the future of mobile. We ASSUME they have plans, but no one knows for sure what they are.

If Microsoft doesn't show us what the future of Windows mobile is or how they intend to address the app gap at the BDC, or some new devices at this rumored Surface event, I honestly don't know how much longer I'll wait around for something to materialize. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

daemano

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Android has Google's severe privacy baggage in tow. MS seems to be working towards greater transparency whereas Google seems to becoming even more invasive. I'll wait to see what MS has in mind. I already know what Google does. Won't do it.

btschuster

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
I am on Verizon and am getting frustrated by the lack of Windows Mobile hardware. If CU is not released for the Lumia 735, the only Windows Mobile device sold by Verizon, I may make the jump to an Android device with the Galaxy S8 at the top of my list. If I do that, is there a way to transfer text messages from my Lumia 735 to the Galaxy S8?

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Just got the XL and another 950 for family. Had Icon, 6S plus and more. Could have had any phone of my choice, but the windows phones just suit my preferences better. I have ipad mini around for "apps" but use it so little that the kids absconded with it. I don't think the line will die. If it does I'll be using it until I can't anymore.

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I got a hands on with the new S8 and honestly I'm not impressed. Unless your an Android fan, you wont like this phone. Windows Phone users are Windows Phone users for a reason. We like the integration into the ecosystem. Even while flawed, I prefer using Windows Mobile over either of the other 2 options. I came to Windows Mobile from Blackberry. I tried both iOS and Android and just could not adapt. The primary reason is I'm a business user. I could care less that I dont have Snapchat and all the other consumer games and play apps. I use my phone for specific needs and Windows Mobile meets those needs. Yes, its frustrating at times, but after working in technology for 0ver 25 years, I'm used to it. I feel that the Windows Phone users are a niche group market that will expand later in the future when the product matures into what Microsofts vision of what our communication devices will look like in the future. Notice I am not using the word "phone" since I believe we will morph into a single device down the road. A true portable PC that also does voice communication as a function. Just my own personal thoughts. Thank you for indulging me.
I've preordered the S8+ and am trading in my Lumia 950, will be keeping the XL around even carrying it most days, but likely tethering it to the S8+. Got one for my wife too, she'll probably keep hers in a drawer unless she's using Continuum. Hopefully DEX works on the MS hardware otherwise we likely won't use that feature. If MS has something coming up and it is compelling enough to replace the XL it'll tether to the S8+ until the apps come back, we both prefer the Windows interface to Android and iPhone but with even the indie devs leaving we can't stay with these as our only and primary devices.

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Done, ordered 3 S8+ for family and I. Today MS releases a CU, after the first reboot, same that always happens, stuck on the MS logo. Soft reset wont work, only a Hard Reset. Happens always to 2 of our 3 950s. Love everything about the 950, just can't deal with the many hard resets, and the 3 or 4 times a day reboots...

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Done, ordered 3 S8+ for family and I. Today MS releases a CU, after the first reboot, same that always happens, stuck on the MS logo. Soft reset wont work, only a Hard Reset. Happens always to 2 of our 3 950s. Love everything about the 950, just can't deal with the many hard resets, and the 3 or 4 times a day reboots...

I have the Icon and mine got stuck on the MS logo as well last night. I just let it sit for 15-20 minutes and it took care of itself. In the past, there have been reports of them getting stuck on this screen for 30-40 minutes, but they usually fix themselves. By the way, it wasn't the CU. We won't be seeing that until April 25. What I received was Version 1607, build 14393.1066 in the release preview ring.

Countess42

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
I have missed my Windows Phones for many years now. I threw an iPoo across the room 4 weeks after owning it. I *hate* SamDung, but I have used a Note for years.
As soon as Windows give me a phone worth a stylus, I will unhappily use my Note. So so so many years ago, a HTC Diamond won my heart simply with WinPhone and a stylus. I have been lost ever since :(

I am very very close to buying a 950XL. Might have already done it if it weren't for the fact that no store locally (Australia) has any in stock, or even a demo. And, the whole stylus thing ...

Please, Microsoft, make my dreams come true *bow*

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I didn't have an opportunity to try out DeX. I feel that unless MSFT gets moving with Continuum, Samsung will take the lead here. The basic fact is that after 2 years since Continuum came out, MSFT hasn't done much at all with progressing the functionality.
This article is pretty good at explaining it.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/30/15120312/samsung-dex-microsoft-continuum-pc-phone-battle

They'd need a whole ecosystem of DeX compatible apps for that to occur. Harder to scale up, than scale down. MS has the desktop and tablet platforms to leverage down. Hence why the windows store has grown in the last 2 years (from blackberry world size, to three times the size), despite the diminishing of the windows 10 mobile platform MS most likely will replace in the next year.

I don't see developers flocking to DeX, when the s8 DeX platform has office and that's it; I doubt anyone much will even use it. Once you factor in the dock, you may as well have an HP elite x3. Alcatel 4s has a dock, that'd be _cheaper_ :p

It's a long road to hybrid. Look at windows 10. Doesn't run small screen yet. Doesn't run no screen yet. You've got the ******* child windows mobile, that isn't yet a real windows 10. Doesn't run on any hardware yet - arm emu revealed last year, but the whole promise is _any hardware_. Watches, fridges, anything.

All things they promise of it - It's all coming, but its years and years of work, with thousands of dev man hours.

The fact the others have such partial contributions, so late in the game, is even worse than being late to smartphones. Its a much much bigger project which whole IoT smart network thing. The ecosystems, the OS capabilities will be ages behind by the time it all comes fully together for MS.

With a desktop platform its about making everything scale down to simplicity. Which is hard enough. Taking a mobile platform "up" is about scaling up to complexity. That's herculean.

It's far easier to reduce features, and simplify UI, than add them in. Windows 10 has its massive driver database, and software back catalogue. They are clearly going to scrap win mobile, and replace it with win 10 on arm, you can tell by the creators update for windows 10 home and pro on x86 being packed with phone features, like "phone call" and "mobile hotspot' and "SMS settings". Yeah, like I'm going to be texting from my laptop, lol. And that will make DeX look like a chromebook in comparison.

Obviously in any race there's always a second player. Microsoft will undoubtably win the hybrid game. But the 2nd spot is open I suppose. Those getting in now, might have a chance. IDK, why apple hasn't done one yet! They have a full desktop back catalogue. And they are big mobile players.

Last edited:

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the Icon and mine got stuck on the MS logo as well last night. I just let it sit for 15-20 minutes and it took care of itself. In the past, there have been reports of them getting stuck on this screen for 30-40 minutes, but they usually fix themselves. By the way, it wasn't the CU. We won't be seeing that until April 25. What I received was Version 1607, build 14393.1066 in the release preview ring.

Tried that, I have even let them sit overnight and would not continue. Trust me, I would wait a week if I knew it would work in order to avoid a Hard Reset. Having to change settings, redo 2-step, etc. not fun... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs