Why I wont leave Windows Mobile for the S8

cheetahwig1

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
No I won't ditch my WP for the Galaxy S8, but I'm just about decided to ditch it for the Sony Xperia XZ Premium when it comes out in June. It uses the 835 snapdragon chip, has 4 gigs of RAM, a dedicated camera button (I love that on my WP), 19mp camera (nearly as good as my 950XL's), a 13mp front wide-angle camera (better than what I have), 64gigs of storage and a slot to add up to 256gb more of storage. I am tired of waiting, and feel foolish for holding on to my underdog loyalty to MS for so long. Microsoft's actions show that they don't care about us any longer and it's time I stop being so dogmatically supportive of a sinking ship. So I'm 99% sure I'll jump for a life raft in June. :unhappy:

Alan Michas

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I have been looking for a replacement for my Lumia 950XL and frankly there's nothing out there to compare. My Lumia has dual sims and a 256gb sd card. The camera is amazing and the editing software is better than anything available out of the box on android or ios. The so called app gap is something made up by people who do not use Windows mobile to justify their choice of mobile device. If I am forced into changing I'll probably look at the HP x3 before looking elsewhere. Apple is definitely out of the running right now. We'll be holding thumbs for a killer surface phone being announced soon.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
"If they don't release new W10M devices I'll have to switch to Android"

I never get this mindset and it makes less sense than ever in 2017 when new devices bring so little extra to the table anyway. Even if we pretend that no W10M devices are being made (plot twist: they are), the phones we have right now still function great and can be replaced by other W10M devices. You don't have to bend over to advertisers trying to tell you that you need a new device.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I got a hands on with the new S8 and honestly I'm not impressed. Unless your an Android fan, you wont like this phone. Windows Phone users are Windows Phone users for a reason. We like the integration into the ecosystem. Even while flawed, I prefer using Windows Mobile over either of the other 2 options. I came to Windows Mobile from Blackberry. I tried both iOS and Android and just could not adapt. The primary reason is I'm a business user. I could care less that I dont have Snapchat and all the other consumer games and play apps. I use my phone for specific needs and Windows Mobile meets those needs. Yes, its frustrating at times, but after working in technology for 0ver 25 years, I'm used to it. I feel that the Windows Phone users are a niche group market that will expand later in the future when the product matures into what Microsofts vision of what our communication devices will look like in the future. Notice I am not using the word "phone" since I believe we will morph into a single device down the road. A true portable PC that also does voice communication as a function. Just my own personal thoughts. Thank you for indulging me.
Literally, I see nothing better in S8 comparing to my 950 XL. Also, this is Android, which makes me :eck:

Even my old good BlackBerry Z10 is better choice, than S8.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
No I won't ditch my WP for the Galaxy S8, but I'm just about decided to ditch it for the Sony Xperia XZ Premium when it comes out in June. It uses the 835 snapdragon chip, has 4 gigs of RAM, a dedicated camera button (I love that on my WP), 19mp camera (nearly as good as my 950XL's), a 13mp front wide-angle camera (better than what I have), 64gigs of storage and a slot to add up to 256gb more of storage. I am tired of waiting, and feel foolish for holding on to my underdog loyalty to MS for so long. Microsoft's actions show that they don't care about us any longer and it's time I stop being so dogmatically supportive of a sinking ship. So I'm 99% sure I'll jump for a life raft in June. :unhappy:
Among all that specs You forgot one main "thing"... this is Android! It kills all mentioned above!

Tejasvi Bhat

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I don't like android or Ios but with no options other than costly/two year old ones like Lumia 950xl, I will be forced to change when my Lumia 640xl gives up. Too little ram in it for current usage. Considering the One Plus 3t in India. :(

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I got a hands on with the new S8 and honestly I'm not impressed. Unless your an Android fan, you wont like this phone. Windows Phone users are Windows Phone users for a reason. We like the integration into the ecosystem. Even while flawed, I prefer using Windows Mobile over either of the other 2 options. I came to Windows Mobile from Blackberry. I tried both iOS and Android and just could not adapt. The primary reason is I'm a business user. I could care less that I dont have Snapchat and all the other consumer games and play apps. I use my phone for specific needs and Windows Mobile meets those needs. Yes, its frustrating at times, but after working in technology for 0ver 25 years, I'm used to it. I feel that the Windows Phone users are a niche group market that will expand later in the future when the product matures into what Microsofts vision of what our communication devices will look like in the future. Notice I am not using the word "phone" since I believe we will morph into a single device down the road. A true portable PC that also does voice communication as a function. Just my own personal thoughts. Thank you for indulging me.

Duh...more screen = more VR Pron pleasure in HDR

slapsco

Apr 8, 2017
Visit site
I still love my Lumia 950 since I bought it at a fair price last september. Before that, I had bought a 650, that I decided to keep, after my purchase of the 950, as my "back up phone"'. Both phones got all the updates so far. Looking forward the Creators Update. I hope the update will be as smooth as it was on my Surface Pro 4, earlier this week. If I can keep my Band 2 (with lots of electric black tape on the rubber), I have no reason to get rid of my 950 protected both with Mozo and a Ghostek Case!! :)
PS. I hope Microsoft will tell us (at least a little) about their intentions for Windows 10 mobile at the next Build in May! I'm proud to be a Loyal Fan and I want this Mobile OS to survive... whether it is on ARM or not... :)

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This is a really great discussion. I'm very interested in the different opinions and viewpoints. Everyone has different needs and requirements. Especially when it comes to business users vs consumers. I would agree that it would "appear" that MSFT has abandoned consumers but I honestly feel thats temporary. Their strength in developement is on the business side. So when they retrenched, it would be natural for them to focus on that side, build the product, then adapt to the consumer market after the fact. The benefits to the business market of a single ecosystem are huge. I for one look forward to taking advantage of that capability. But, in order to grow market, the consumer side has to be addressed as well. I feel a lot more progress will be made once we see the next hardware iteration which I feel will be more of a personal PC that makes phone calls, rather than a phone that does PC stuff. Time will tell. In the meantime, I'm sticking it out. :)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I moved from my 1520 to IPhone (which was a bust) to the OnePlus 3t. I did this because I didn't have much of an option to do otherwise. My 1520 is at the end of the road for development and I've never got the bug to get the 950XL. Something about that phone is more uninspiring as compared to my beloved 1520. Its had a nice run to say the least. In the meantime, I'll rock my OnePlus3t as my daily driver.
On another note, and let me preference this by saying I don't believe the whole Surface Phone myth. I think it is a nice idea but one born out of a desire to compete but nothing more than that.
Anyway, one idea I've been toying with is MS should seriously consider is building tons of apps that ride the Android OS in much the same manor Google search standardized on the Windows desktop. Microsoft could fork to allow could creation of a Microsoft phone that runs on the Android OS and call it just that. Microsoft Phone or Microsoft Mobile. Microsoft Garage is in a very unique position and is already building on that OS anyway so expand that staff and allow them to produce Microsoft Mobile. In this way, we get to run all of what MS produces and whatever they don't we'll get from developers that don't spend much time developing for the Windows Phone platform.

pdlawson

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I've been a windows phone die hard since the initial release of version 8. Taking part in the insider program and even convincing friends and family it is a better platform than android and iOS.

However, the wait for a new, sexy handset to match the W10 OS is starting to stretch the patience. My daughters run an iPhone 7 and I've been watching the hype in the new Galaxy S8. Both are good looking devices, then I turn back to the brick that is my Lumia phone. Microsoft need to understand the awesome OS is only half the battle.

My contract comes up for renewal in the summer, and with complete radio silence from Microsoft over the future of the platform, and no new devices on the horizon I have to seriously consider the switch to the S8.

It will be a sad day I say goodbye to W10 but wouldn't want to tie myself for two years to an OS with an unknown future on a handset that is starting to look very dated now, never mind in two years time.

*sigh* it was a good run while it lasted.

sbreckbill

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I am tempted to switch to the galaxy 8plus. I am currently using the alkatel idol s pro. I am curious about the Microsoft version of this phone and what that means exactly. If it just well the Microsoft apps are loaded . That kinda lame . It would be wonderfull if get the phone just load windows 10 mobile on it myself. Also wondering why cant they just have it android and a windows 10 mobile ui well

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I am tempted to switch to the galaxy 8plus. I am currently using the alkatel idol s pro. I am curious about the Microsoft version of this phone and what that means exactly. If it just well the Microsoft apps are loaded . That kinda lame . It would be wonderfull if get the phone just load windows 10 mobile on it myself. Also wondering why cant they just have it android and a windows 10 mobile ui well

That's all it is. Just apps pre-loaded.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Well I just pre-ordered the S8+. I really gave it more thought than I should have. As much as I love and defended Windows mobile, I feel it's finally time to move on. If Microsoft ever gets its head out of it's arse, maybe I'll switch back. A silver lining is that my L950 will go to my wife to replace her L650.

Grant Hildyard1

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I have ordered an S8+. I use a Elite X3 which is fantastic, its my third one though. Faults such as SD card drop outs, finger print readers not working has taken its toll on me. Whilst its not a consumer phone, business still require a quality camera, which this thing has not got. Yes, its been improved, but still lacklustre.

I have moved between Android and Windows Mobile the last few years and always came back to Windows as I have been with the platform since Windows Phone 7. Recently used a Huawei Mate 9 Pro which is an amazing handset. Nadella needs something amazing for me to stick with the platform though.

My dream would be for MSFT or Samsung or the likes to create a Windows Build that works on newer android handsets such as the S8+. I can deal with the app gap, but give me some new hardware.

Grant Hildyard1

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh and the fact they have ended Microsoft band and not released a band 3 nothing really works well on windows mobile now. So being into fitness my options have been extremely limited. It might of cost them money, but Nadella I believe has made a massive mistake walking away from mobile for their own ecosystem. Apple have made their fortune being consumer centric the last decade, and Nadella has done just the opposite.

Ray Picone

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site

I have a Galaxy S7 and I only got it is because my Galaxy S5 stopped working and the insurance replaced it with the S7. It cost me $100. I got my Microsoft 640 over a year ago for $40. It originally cane with Windows 8 and then 8.1 now its been running Windows 10 ever since it became available. I use it as my daily phone. I still prefer it to my Galaxy S7. I came late to the Windows Phone platform. Well I had the old Windows Blackjack phone, but then i went to iPhones then to the Galaxy S5 and loved them all but when I got my first Windows 8 phone which was the Nokia 520 for $30, I was so impressed with the simplicity of Windows OS that I made it my daily phone. Then I upgraded to the 640 and for the last 2 and half years have been impressed with Windows Mobile.

I can save websites as tiles of things I need that are not available as apps. Like my Credit Union. I have one for my Honeywell thermostat too. Even though there is actually an app for it. The website has more features then the app. But These tiles work just like apps for me. My credit union website tile works just as fast as my credit union app on my Galaxy S7. The only thing I can't do is scan my checks for a mobile deposit. But that feature hardly ever works on my Galaxy S7. Bank of America had stopped its app for Windows mobile, but then they brought it back. It works well and I can even use the mobile deposit of check features.

I love that I can get my text messages read to me in both my cars. It just works so well with the Bluetooth. I have yet to find a way to do that with my Galaxy S7.

Steve Z

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Have a 950 XL and liked it and windows 10 mobile very much but the app gap is real for me. I drive for Uber and there is no windows driver's app. I switched to a Mate 9 and found it is an excellent phone and excellent for driving for Uber. If there was a windows app for Uber drivers I would switch back to my 950 XL.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Among all that specs You forgot one main "thing"... this is Android! It kills all mentioned above!
Actually, android is a great OS. Not sure about Sony's flavor, but it is very snappy, extensible, and hackable. If I ditch WP, I plan to go back to Android. I've used every version from Donut to Nougat.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077