Why I wont leave Windows Mobile for the S8

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I keep buying refurbished Icon's from either the carrier or ebay. It's still a viable phone until something else comes out (hopefully!)

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I keep buying refurbished Icon's from either the carrier or ebay. It's still a viable phone until something else comes out (hopefully!)

It really is a great device. I stand by the Icon or it's brother the 930. It's probably the best phone I've ever owned. Way more reliable than any Android, Blackberry, or iOS device I've ever owned. The only problem I have with it is occasionally, extremely rarely, the phone will reboot when I try and take a picture. It reboots once and then it's back to normal after that. No idea why.

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't have that issue. Mine is the microphone is funky. But I have just been using bluetooth instead. When it gives me problems, I'll go get another one.

nasznjoka

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Okay, got to play with the S8 at Costco yesterday.

1. Odd form factor. Way too narrow and long.

2. No removable battery. I know my X3 doesn't either, but this should be available.

3. Glass back. Stupid idea.

4. Touchwiz. 'nuff said.

5. No sd card support again.

I cannot see why Samsung would mess up so much. I'm sure, though, they will sell millions. My son was ready to get rid of his POS S7 (which was a replacement for the decent but glass backed Note 7.) but opted for a LG V20 instead. He hated the look and feel of the S8.

Sent from mTalk

Sdcard not supported? Check your facts right

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Me personally I am not sure why anyone would pay this or the iPhone 8s sort of price, for operating systems that don't really benefit much from 4gb of ram, higher cpu speeds etc (or the connectivity of usb-c).

If it was full windows 10, or Ubuntu I might understand. For android and ios, with their lightweight apps, its overkill. It's like putting liquid cooling on your office word processor.

Also all that resolution and clockspeed is a horrible waste of battery life.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Which models don't? There are only two, the S8 and the S8+. Both support microSD cards per the specs on Samsung and every other website.

Not "models" per se. If you read the specs on the Samsung site, they have versions with sim and microSD, and dual sim, with "varies by carrier and country". One of those variations is dual sim with no microsd. Same with the chipset (Two chipsets and varies by country and carrier). They don't have different model names.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Which models don't? There are only two, the S8 and the S8+. Both support microSD cards per the specs on Samsung and every other website.

Different regions have different specs. The model name might be the same but there might be differences such as CPUs, single SIM or dual, etc. The Galaxy Notes had Exynos chips in Asia but Qualcomm in the US.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Not "models" per se. If you read the specs on the Samsung site, they have versions with sim and microSD, and dual sim, with "varies by carrier and country". One of those variations is dual sim with no microsd. Same with the chipset (Two chipsets and varies by country and carrier). They don't have different model names.

Fine, but to flat out say no microSD card support is incorrect. In a single SIM model, there will be a slot for a microSD card. And in a dual SIM model, the second slot can be used for microSD or a second SIM card. In either case it's an improvement over previous generations.

That's not to say you can actually make use of the second SIM slot here in the US or guaranteed in any other country though, but the microSD support is certainly there.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Fine, but to flat out say no microSD card support is incorrect. In a single SIM model, there will be a slot for a microSD card. And in a dual SIM model, the second slot can be used for microSD or a second SIM card. In either case it's an improvement over previous generations.

That's not to say you can actually make use of the second SIM slot here in the US or guaranteed in any other country though, but the microSD support is certainly there.

Sure. Wasn't me who said that, what I said was just to help with the confusion. Generally the s8 has microsd. But then so should every phone and tablet in existence!

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Sure. Wasn't me who said that, what I said was just to help with the confusion. Generally the s8 has microsd. But then so should every phone and tablet in existence!

Wasn't saying it was you. I know it was PerfectReign. So yeah, unless you're running dual SIM, you should be able to use a microSD.

And totally agree. Expandable microSD storage should be a standard anymore, especially on any device with 64GB or less of internal storage. Wanting a device to replace a phone and an iPod touch is one of the reasons I'm considering switching over to Android. My iPod is almost completely full of just music and audiobooks and my phone is about half full of pictures, video, and a handful of apps. I would need something with at least 128GB, if not more, just to combine devices. It seems, other than iPhones, 32 or 64GB is the standard on internal storage.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Wasn't saying it was you. I know it was PerfectReign. So yeah, unless you're running dual SIM, you should be able to use a microSD.

And totally agree. Expandable microSD storage should be a standard anymore, especially on any device with 64GB or less of internal storage. Wanting a device to replace a phone and an iPod touch is one of the reasons I'm considering switching over to Android. My iPod is almost completely full of just music and audiobooks and my phone is about half full of pictures, video, and a handful of apps. I would need something with at least 128GB, if not more, just to combine devices. It seems, other than iPhones, 32 or 64GB is the standard on internal storage.

Really phones should come with upgradable SSD as well! (Faster performance, and we could also throw in 256 internal quite easily). SSD would also make things faster than most of the specs consumers are currently fixated on, and it would stand out.

64gb is fine on my win tablet. You can put a 200gb microsd in there if you want (android often caps microsd at 128, due to formating). 64gb microsd is cheap as these days though, auto bringing the total up to 128 on a 64gb device.

I know what you mean though. My tablet's 128 odd GB, are filled with movies, tv shows, games and applications, samples for fruity loops. I have to have my Lexar 128gb USB with micro-adapter nub for additional music, TV shows etc, so it has all the sort of software power and media as my desktop.

Mind, if I didn't have so much win32 software I think 128gb, with just the 64GB micro SD and internal 64GBs would be plenty for loads of media and UWP apps.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
It were me. I misread the specs and the guy at Costco apparently didn't know.

Still wouldn't get one.

Sent from mTalk

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
If in July this year I'll decide it is time to move away from Windows 10 Mobile then Android will probably be my choice. But, by then, I will be facing a choice between Samsung Galaxy S8 and HTC U. And right now I think I'll go with HTC U because I like metal more than glass. And because I previously had HTC smartphones and I was very happy with their build quality and performance.

Ray Picone

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
I only have a Samsung S7 because my insurance with AT&T gave to me as a replacement for my broken Samsung S5. But, I have been using a Lumia 640 for over a year now as my daily driver. Every time I get into my car with my Samsung S7 it's a struggle to get it to play nice with my car's Bluetooth. Every weekend I put my sim card into my Galaxy S7 so it can check for updates from AT&T and I try to use it a few days by Tuesday I am back to my Windows phone.

trevywankenobi

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950XL for my main phone and a Cricket wireless LG X Power and ive used a lot a android phones and I cam never get over android. I feel like it made for a child and is super scattered

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950XL for my main phone and a Cricket wireless LG X Power and ive used a lot a android phones and I cam never get over android. I feel like it made for a child and is super scattered

Android feels ADHD to me and iPhone makes me feel like I'm supposed to be riding the short bus...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I was a WP/WM user since 2011 but switched to Android early 2016 due to an email client integration not supported (available on Windows store but not supported by my company) on WM/WP. I started off on a Moto X Pure and loved it until the battery started to drain faster. After switching numerous devices from different manufacturers I finally chose the S7E. And just to summarize it...the Microsoft app and ecosystem experience is miles better on this device (read THIS device and NOT Android). The water proofing, camera, apps, heck even battery life is better than my previous Lumia, the 950 XL. The only other Lumia that came close was the 1520.

If anyone is interested in switching and doesn't want to switch to iOS then don't choose an Android...choose a device that runs Android because not all devices are similar including the user experience. Each one has it's own pros and cons. Choose a mediocre device and you'll be constantly regretting your decision. Choose a good one and your perception might change.

The OP mentioned how choosing WP/WM makes him more productive than being on other platforms. My experience is exactly the opposite..moving away from WM made me more productive. MS Outlook app, MS Office suite, OneDrive, etc. all work very well with the S7E (and other Androids as well). In fact the windows-central forums and mobile apps work even better. I use my phone for basic social networking but heavily for media consumption and reading articles on websites (I'll use an app for the website if it's available, and mostly it is). I don't care about Snapchat but I know it's available when needed. I know the email suite that was unavailable on WP is now well supported on Android and even integrates with the fingerprint scanner for secure access. My microSD can be encrypted along with my phone to save my secure files if I lose my device.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte