Why I wont leave Windows Mobile for the S8

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I got a hands on with the new S8 and honestly I'm not impressed. Unless your an Android fan, you wont like this phone. Windows Phone users are Windows Phone users for a reason. We like the integration into the ecosystem. Even while flawed, I prefer using Windows Mobile over either of the other 2 options. I came to Windows Mobile from Blackberry. I tried both iOS and Android and just could not adapt. The primary reason is I'm a business user. I could care less that I dont have Snapchat and all the other consumer games and play apps. I use my phone for specific needs and Windows Mobile meets those needs. Yes, its frustrating at times, but after working in technology for 0ver 25 years, I'm used to it. I feel that the Windows Phone users are a niche group market that will expand later in the future when the product matures into what Microsofts vision of what our communication devices will look like in the future. Notice I am not using the word "phone" since I believe we will morph into a single device down the road. A true portable PC that also does voice communication as a function. Just my own personal thoughts. Thank you for indulging me.

The problem is, you keep saying you're "used to" issues. That's actually sad whether you want to admit it or not. I said the same thing you said for so long.

Also you can customize android to be just like windows. Please refer to my post on this here - http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...sion-lounge/457087-case-s8-plus-new-post.html

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I was a WP/WM user since 2011 but switched to Android early 2016 due to an email client integration not supported (available on Windows store but not supported by my company) on WM/WP. I started off on a Moto X Pure and loved it until the battery started to drain faster. After switching numerous devices from different manufacturers I finally chose the S7E. And just to summarize it...the Microsoft app and ecosystem experience is miles better on this device (read THIS device and NOT Android). The water proofing, camera, apps, heck even battery life is better than my previous Lumia, the 950 XL. The only other Lumia that came close was the 1520.

If anyone is interested in switching and doesn't want to switch to iOS then don't choose an Android...choose a device that runs Android because not all devices are similar including the user experience. Each one has it's own pros and cons. Choose a mediocre device and you'll be constantly regretting your decision. Choose a good one and your perception might change.

The OP mentioned how choosing WP/WM makes him more productive than being on other platforms. My experience is exactly the opposite..moving away from WM made me more productive. MS Outlook app, MS Office suite, OneDrive, etc. all work very well with the S7E (and other Androids as well). In fact the windows-central forums and mobile apps work even better. I use my phone for basic social networking but heavily for media consumption and reading articles on websites (I'll use an app for the website if it's available, and mostly it is). I don't care about Snapchat but I know it's available when needed. I know the email suite that was unavailable on WP is now well supported on Android and even integrates with the fingerprint scanner for secure access. My microSD can be encrypted along with my phone to save my secure files if I lose my device.

I've seen posts like this before and didn't get it But now that I have the s8 I totally get it and agree. It's like night and day. Get a GOOD phone. Take the time to set it up (come on, we're all nerds... you can figure it out), and download Microsoft apps. It'll feel right at home. Actually it'll feel like u came from from work and someone renovated everything for you for free. New appliances everywhere, but same setup. It's really a come up folks

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Um yes it is. Everything you can do on Windows, you can replicate to do on the galaxy s8+. Like everything. I have it in my hand right now. Ask me a question and I'll explain just how to do it with this phone 😐

Its not just like Windows (different OS experience) and its way too expensive. Just my opinion.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Um yes it is. Everything you can do on Windows, you can replicate to do on the galaxy s8+. Like everything. I have it in my hand right now. Ask me a question and I'll explain just how to do it with this phone ??????

Absolutely not. I chose WM for the GUI and no matter what you do to duplicate it on Android, it's not the same.

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely not. I chose WM for the GUI and no matter what you do to duplicate it on Android, it's not the same.

Considering Microsoft has been edging Windows ux closer and closer to Android... I'm not sure that's gonna last you much longer. Check my thread "case for the s8".. I have screenshots there that show it looks identical to windows gui. Just need to give it a chance

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that comment was necessary. Perhaps it made you feel better though.

What has increasingly been bothering me are windows fans who put their head in the sand. I feel it's my duty to pull it right out by your long ostrich neck. I don't mean to offend you but If it requires offending to help, then I have no problem doing it

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
What has increasingly been bothering me are windows fans who put their head in the sand. I feel it's my duty to pull it right out by your long ostrich neck. I don't mean to offend you but If it requires offending to help, then I have no problem doing it

Oh don't worry, you're not offending me. I don't listen too much to people who are just out to spread misinformation to defend their position.
Have a great day!

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh don't worry, you're not offending me. I don't listen too much to people who are just out to spread misinformation to defend their position.
Have a great day!

You're being just like the little kid with fingers in their ears saying "no na na na booboo. I can't hear you". But I hear ya man. I respect your choice.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Considering Microsoft has been edging Windows ux closer and closer to Android... I'm not sure that's gonna last you much longer. Check my thread "case for the s8".. I have screenshots there that show it looks identical to windows gui. Just need to give it a chance

Lipstick on a pig. HTC was the first to make skins for a mobile OS when they dropped Sense on WM6.1. The idea was to make WinMo "look" like something it wasn't but when you clicked on any app, WinMo's uglyass head reared itself. Make no mistake, I loved WinMo but I didn't try to fool myself into thinking Sense was another OS that resembled it.

You may think Android can be made to look like Windows but the facade only lasts so long. Maybe there won't be any more Windows phones in the near future but my Idol works pretty good today. If my webOS Touchpad still works today, I'm really not going to worry about my phone. The term "dead" is used waaaay too loosely these days.

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Lipstick on a pig. HTC was the first to make skins for a mobile OS when they dropped Sense on WM6.1. The idea was to make WinMo "look" like something it wasn't but when you clicked on any app, WinMo's uglyass head reared itself. Make no mistake, I loved WinMo but I didn't try to fool myself into thinking Sense was another OS that resembled it.

You may think Android can be made to look like Windows but the facade only lasts so long. Maybe there won't be any more Windows phones in the near future but my Idol works pretty good today. If my webOS Touchpad still works today, I'm really not going to worry about my phone. The term "dead" is used waaaay too loosely these days.

Yourre talking about something from so many years ago. Things improve over time. I challenge you to try launcher 10 skin and tell me it's not identical or superior to windows UI. I will be messaging the developer and giving him his props

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yourre talking about something from so many years ago. Things improve over time. I challenge you to try launcher 10 skin and tell me it's not identical or superior to windows UI. I will be messaging the developer and giving him his props

It was an analogy. I have tried every launcher in the Play Store. None measures up as well as live tiles, they're fancy widgets and nothing else. Looking similar and performing similar are very different. How's your global dark theme working BTW?

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It was an analogy. I have tried every launcher in the Play Store. None measures up as well as live tiles, they're fancy widgets and nothing else. Looking similar and performing similar are very different. How's your global dark theme working BTW?

I see what you're getting at. And yes I cant uniformly make everything a dark theme, but I can customize the crap out of most of it to make it dark. For instance, I just made my texting app dark and my background to start screen. And some of the microsoft apps have a dark theme I can enable. I guess in realize I sit don't care as much about that stuff like J used to. Especially when things just... Work

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to turn my car into a pickup truck by ripping off the roof and putting a toolbox in the back. ������

Dude, you just gave me a terrible flashback. In 1980 when we had the Mariel Boatlift, the "Marielitos" were doing just that. The car of choice was those mid-70s Thunderbirds with the T-Tops because they had frameless windows on the doors. Ugh!!!! I could've gone the rest of my life without remembering that.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Dude, you just gave me a terrible flashback. In 1980 when we had the Mariel Boatlift, the "Marielitos" were doing just that. The car of choice was those mid-70s Thunderbirds with the T-Tops because they had frameless windows on the doors. Ugh!!!! I could've gone the rest of my life without remembering that.

Glad I could help! 😁

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Honestly though, one of the selling points of Android is customization. I used to play around with it all the time. I just got sick of it. Finally found something I enjoy without the fiddling around. But for those that like to play, Android has all the toys you need.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven