Positive Windows phone news thread

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The 950xl looks cheap. If you consider polycarbonate cheap. However there's reasons why even now it still sells for 250/300. Camera aside that is a very capable phone running W10M. I've never owned the Primo yet though. Held it in the store though. Is it a 5.5" screen? Also what's under the extras menu in settings? Anything?
Spec-wise it's a 950. Same CPU and RAM. But what the specs don't show is how well Acer optimized the firmware. It does NOT get hot like other SD808 phones, Continuum runs much better than the x3 in that there are no rotation issues, the external monitor always scales correctly and pulling it off the dock doesn't spring an instant reboot or gets frozen. My biggest gripe is the sorry as* speaker. It's a mono POS. It will hit Anniversary Update via the Insider app but Creator is not possible. I'm not missing anything app-wise by being limited to AU but YMMV.

Almost forgot, the camera smokes the x3 and it's not close especially in the dark. The two-tone flash is a difference maker.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Spec-wise it's a 950. Same CPU and RAM. But what the specs don't show is how well Acer optimized the firmware. It does NOT get hot like other SD808 phones, Continuum runs much better than the x3 in that there are no rotation issues, the external monitor always scales correctly and pulling it off the dock doesn't spring an instant reboot or gets frozen. My biggest gripe is the sorry as* speaker. It's a mono POS. It will hit Anniversary Update via the Insider app but Creator is not possible. I'm not missing anything app-wise by being limited to AU but YMMV.

Almost forgot, the camera smokes the x3 and it's not close especially in the dark. The two-tone flash is a difference maker.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk
It's not actually. It's a snapdragon 810 processor. Same ram amount though.

Edit.: Sorry I realized you're referring to your Acer...

I think Microsoft tweaks a lot of the graphics and over utilizes the GPU and that is what gets hot. But that's just my opinion.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Now trekstors new win phone looks alot more promising price wise with continuum!

https://mspoweruser.com/windows-phone-ifa-2017-actually-good-value-money/

Yes. I think most of us if not all remember the rebranded Moly W5. That is the same Phone minus the storage specs as the phone Greg and his team from Cerulean tried to launch (Cerulean Moment). The Moment was launching though at 32 GB 3G RAM and came with a free screen beam 2 widi continuum stick for 299 USD...I think the Trekstor is a single sim only...Greg was not able to target EU though. Only North and South America. Sadly they never got off the ground

Last edited:

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Inventing is one thing, implementing commercially in a viable way is totally another.

Apple will probably comes up with their "invention" of live icons soon.😄

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or did the retinal login speed up in the last fast ring insider update? It seems that all of a sudden, I'll start entering my PIN and the phone will unlock from the retinal scan before I finish with the PIN.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:

Pinnsvein

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
This is simply the best phone (my 950). Period.
I would pay every year something just to be able to keep it running.

Tip: Use Sophie Lens HD for your photosSophieLens_2016_08_21_16_26 1.jpg.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Here's one: the amazingly awesome FL Studio Mobile app (from the good old "Fruity Loops" days in the nineties!!) is now UWP compliant, and should run on phones. Haven't tried it myself yet, but if it works well that would be amazing!

Store link: FL Studio Mobile ($15)

Warning: pretty big download because of all the included audio samples. It's over 700MB.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Here's one: the amazingly awesome FL Studio Mobile app (from the good old "Fruity Loops" days in the nineties!!) is now UWP compliant, and should run on phones. Haven't tried it myself yet, but if it works well that would be amazing!

Store link: FL Studio Mobile ($15)

Warning: pretty big download because of all the included audio samples. It's over 700MB.

Nice Find! I loved that app, and can now on mobile....I might consider buying it soon.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Keep going to a big box near base and looking at all the nice shiny Sammy's (S8) and Motorola's (Moto Z) and wearables (Gear S3 Frontier). And you know what, I look at their home screens, look at my live tiles the Windows Mobile UX, and walk away. Long live Windows Mobile, best cellphone OS there is, despite everything.

I am actually with you on this. I don't want pages and pages of app icons. I just want to see what I need to see. For iOS for example, you can see how many new emails you have, but not what they are (advantage Windows Phone), so you have to waste time looking through it all.

For Android, having to group everything together for me, is just something I am not interested in doing. I also do not really like the bloatware or how only certain phones get OS updates. I just want a phone to work and my 950XL is fine for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion