Positive Windows phone news thread

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I'm wondering if the wc staff have found out something we don't. Last night there seemed to be a sudden shift from how will wc change with the death of windows mobile, which should you change to- android or iOS, the best android device to move to....

To now it's not dead and some positivity on twitter. I can only think something is coming that we don't know about, which is good, I'm happy to wait and see but enjoying this moment of positivity lol.

Actually I was just on twitter, they absolutely know something that we don't, hopefully it's revealed on Tuesday, hopefully it's mobile related....:)

Last edited by a moderator:

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I still have my G5 to stay on top of Android development. It's a great phone indeed but the battery life sucks so bad. What turned you off about it?

android... that's what. my batt life isn't too bad, I can go all day with a single charge and still have some left over when I goto bed and put it on the charger... but I can't take android and the security issues and advertisings and the intrusions ect ect.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Actually I was just on twitter, they absolutely know something that we don't, hopefully it's revealed on Tuesday, hopefully it's mobile related....:)

I agree, the tone has been dire in articles until basically just now. Its quite suspicious that they have had some inside word.

Actually call me weird, but I have a feeling this "insider info" is about cshell. That they'll demo cshell running on windows 10 mobile.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Actually call me weird, but I have a feeling this "insider info" is about cshell. That they'll demo cshell running on windows 10 mobile.
At this stage anything demoed on windows mobile would be seen as a win lol....even mentioning it!

Personally I do think they have a plan, I think it's evolving as they develop technology but there is a strategy and I do think it involves windows mobile, I just wish they would tell us what it is! Now that they have killed off hardware development which Satya hated from the start, hopefully from a software development perspective they will start communicating now.

Glad it's not just me that spotted the change in tone, wondered if it was me grasping at straws lol (could still be...)

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
At this stage anything demoed on windows mobile would be seen as a win lol....even mentioning it!

Personally I do think they have a plan, I think it's evolving as they develop technology but there is a strategy and I do think it involves windows mobile, I just wish they would tell us what it is! Now that they have killed off hardware development which Satya hated from the start, hopefully from a software development perspective they will start communicating now.

Glad it's not just me that spotted the change in tone, wondered if it was me grasping at straws lol (could still be...)

Well dan has been pretty negative, if you follow the front page, about windows 10 mobiles future. For him to suddenly come out and defend against "windows mobile is dead", seems like a shift to me, when his language has been more suggestive into now of "well it probably is, or at least might be and its more then next big thing we should be looking for".

Regardless, I feel like cshell is close, and it make logical sense that it's close and it will probably have a consumer impact too.

Windows/windows mobile after all comes with miracast too. Ideally you could plug in a cheap mouse, miracast or hdmi - instant PC no dock needed. Not something just for highrolling business people, but anyone who wants to stream Netflix, do some light PC work, show off some webpages, or whatever else - even just avoid having to buy a PC for emailing and working!

Last edited:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Well I don't blame @Daniel Rubino for the guarded stance as he has been burned in the past for saying one thing and mircrosoft doing something else.

Though I don't think he ever said windows mobile was dead anyhow. The negative news is more about how microsoft is communicating (lack of) their plan and because of that we shouldn't support various endeavours in a phone perspective. But due to what they've done with windows now, the mobile component is never dead, it's whether an OEM can make something compelling with a windows 10 installation on a small footprint device.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Well I don't blame @Daniel Rubino for the guarded stance as he has been burned in the past for saying one thing and mircrosoft doing something else.

Though I don't think he ever said windows mobile was dead anyhow. The negative news is more about how microsoft is communicating (lack of) their plan and because of that we shouldn't support various endeavours in a phone perspective. But due to what they've done with windows now, the mobile component is never dead, it's whether an OEM can make something compelling with a windows 10 installation on a small footprint device.

I agree with that last sentence.
Actually, its starting to feel like we're getting close to something exciting.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey just played Warhammer free blade on windows 10 mobile its available on all forms so tablet and pc but also as a coninuum app just linked my 950 to a monitor and honestly this game made me smile.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
https://www.amazon.com/Alcatel-Wind...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3659758

Acatel 4s is now unlocked. Which means we can use it out of the US :)

Satya Nadella on future Windows phones: 'I'm sure we'll make more' | Windows Central

This just in. Nadella:

We make phones today, we have OEMs like HP making phones and others and we picked a very specific area to focus on which is management, security, and this one particular feature that we have called Continuum, which is a phone that can even be a desktop."
"We're making sure that all of our software is available on iOS and Android and it's first class, and we're looking for what's the next change in form and function. What we've done with Surface is a good example. No one before us thought of 2-in-1s, and we created that category and made it a successful category to the point where there are more 2-in-1s coming. And that's what we want to do. So when you say we'll make more phones, I'm sure we'll make more phones, but they will not look like phones that are there today."

That's probably as clear as it will get for the distant future. Westworld style. In the meantime there's windows 10m, and fingers crossed some more damned manufacturers!

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Satya Nadella on future Windows phones: 'I'm sure we'll make more' | Windows Central

This just in. Nadella:

We make phones today, we have OEMs like HP making phones and others and we picked a very specific area to focus on which is management, security, and this one particular feature that we have called Continuum, which is a phone that can even be a desktop."
"We're making sure that all of our software is available on iOS and Android and it's first class, and we're looking for what's the next change in form and function. What we've done with Surface is a good example. No one before us thought of 2-in-1s, and we created that category and made it a successful category to the point where there are more 2-in-1s coming. And that's what we want to do. So when you say we'll make more phones, I'm sure we'll make more phones, but they will not look like phones that are there today."

That's probably as clear as it will get for the distant future. Westworld style. In the meantime there's windows 10m, and fingers crossed some more damned manufacturers!
Confirm Windows on phone is not dead, and i think windows mobile is for lower hardware phones

Sent from mTalk

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Confirm Windows on phone is not dead, and i think windows mobile is for lower hardware phones

Sent from mTalk

Well windows on arm they have said is pitched initially at tablets, notebooks and servers. There are battery optimisation issues for a real-time OS, on smartphones. WoA as the successor to win10 mobile are not close, yet. Years off. Indeed graphene OLED, speech etc, are at least five years off. True next generation, its not that close.

and they will still need phone form factor apps for the "mobile phone mode", when we are not going all westworld folding tablets, AR, or talking to "Her".

So, for the time being, win10 mobile is the thing and UWP is the key to it all.

The plan is not as ambitious for now as some would like, but it ain't dead, and it's not quite of life support. More "conserving ones energy for a strike" maybe?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb