Positive Windows phone news thread

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I posted this in another thread.

Brad Sams (Sams' Report) just released another podcast, very short, while he is on vacation. He wanted to because he got more confirmation (he released an early podcast stating be believes MS is working on a ARM mobile device) that MS is working on a phone. He also stated that it will be released sooner than he first thought and that the software for it might even be released in July. Wow. He also said he doesn't believe it will be a slab style phone but didn't know what it might be. Keep in mind, Brad has been a "WP phone is dead" cheerleader for the last year or so. This is good news.

Sent from mTalk

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I posted this in another thread.

Brad Sams (Sams' Report) just released another podcast, very short, while he is on vacation. He wanted to because he got more confirmation (he released an early podcast stating be believes MS is working on a ARM mobile device) that MS is working on a phone. He also stated that it will be released sooner than he first thought and that the software for it might even be released in July. Wow. He also said he doesn't believe it will be a slab style phone but didn't know what it might be. Keep in mind, Brad has been a "WP phone is dead" cheerleader for the last year or so. This is good news.

Sent from mTalk
This July or July 2018

Sent from (IOK)

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Let's try not to set ourselves up for a letdown. Software for it MIGHT be released in July, but the hardware will be months behind that at best.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
This July or July 2018

Sent from (IOK)

He didn't give a year but I assumed he meant this July considering the podcast for last week he predicted 2018.

I really don't care about the software but if it is released that is just one more piece of evidence this is real. I encourage anyone that is interested to d/l his last two podcast.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Sure hope there is some mighty good news in the pipeline. The issue this past night could trump any good news up to this point for mobile Windows users.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Another Elite X3 might be VZW too. Actually I am pretty sure it is. I sent a tip to Mobile Nations WC, so maybe @Daniel Rubino or someone can officially confirm it. I also found a ref doc on the FCC that says the model number change referenced as a hardware change.

2. The only change between B94HHF606 and B94HHF606V is open CDMA and LTE B13 for
H/W change.

link to wi-fi.org cert

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Let's try not to set ourselves up for a letdown. Software for it MIGHT be released in July, but the hardware will be months behind that at best.

The software and hardware are useless without each other. Its a novel form factor - the software will be no good on any other hardware, and the hardware will be no good without its own OS.

Unless they are releasing some sort of developer kit, there would be no point in releasing the software without the phone.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Another Elite X3 might be VZW too. Actually I am pretty sure it is. I sent a tip to Mobile Nations WC, so maybe @Daniel Rubino or someone can officially confirm it. I also found a ref doc on the FCC that says the model number change referenced as a hardware change.

2. The only change between B94HHF606 and B94HHF606V is open CDMA and LTE B13 for
H/W change.

link to wi-fi.org cert

HP is probably MS's biggest customer and I can't see HP releasing another W10M phone when the rumored ARM mobile device is just around the corner. Obviously MS is in communications with HP and if HP is releasing a 2nd gen X3 I'm guessing it will be an ARM device. Just when is the question. When Brad broke the news on his Podcast he stated there were prototype devices being used right now. Are those prototype devices HP's or MS's? <shrug>

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That above model (FCCID) I listed B94HHF606 and now B94HHF606V is the Elite X3. I am unaware of any proto-type devices.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Read my previous posts.

The ones that say nothing about "windows on arm", but instead a new mobile device, with a new arm based OS? (After the CEO has explicitly said "if we release a phone it will look nothing like the phones today).

Read what has been rumoured again. It says literally nothing about "windows on arm". In fact what it says is "a version of windows mobile" more or less.

Its about project Andromeda, and a new form factor of device running an OS that suits its novel new form factor. Ie, something that isn't a candybar slab.

It's not about "windows on arm on a phone". The first windows on arm devices will be out late this year, not next month. And they will be tablets and laptops, not phones.

This is something surprising and different. It has no relationship to "windows on arm", and the win32 emulation layer, as yet based on any information we have.

And it also won't automatically make all slab devices redundant, the new FF. There's no reason why HP shouldn't release a refresh with the updated continuum MS has floating around. I'm sure it'll fold quite nicely into WoA, on a phone, when that much later happens (ie when WoA is on other stuff, and the app platform is benefiting from it).

There are new features coming to win10m, that MS are working on with HP, late US summer. That's been officially announced direct from MS themselves. And it was basically implied that timeline, Cortana skills and all that other tasty build stuff would come to win10m too.

I know I won't be buying their 1000 dollar plus new catergory device when it comes out, and it won't be replacing what I have any sooner than I'll be buying a HoloLens.

I'm sure it'll be good for the platform, whatever this crazy invention is. But it's not going to put win10m on slabs out of business any more than its going to autokill samsungs smartphone business, or the surface autokilled the ipad (which it didn't its just slowly edging in there).

Last edited by a moderator:

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
The ones that say nothing about "windows on arm", but instead a new mobile device, with a new arm based OS? (After the CEO has explicitly said "if we release a phone it will look nothing like the phones today).

Read what has been rumoured again. It says literally nothing about "windows on arm". In fact what it says is "a version of windows mobile" more or less.

Its about project Andromeda, and a new form factor of device running an OS that suits its novel new form factor. Ie, something that isn't a candybar slab.

It's not about "windows on arm on a phone". The first windows on arm devices will be out late this year, not next month. And they will be tablets and laptops, not phones.

This is something surprising and different. It has no relationship to "windows on arm", and the win32 emulation layer, as yet based on any information we have.

I'll quote myself,

"If you are a podcast listener take a look at Brad Sam's (Sam's Report) latest podcast. Brad has always been a "WP is dead" dude and his latest podcast is titled "New hope for Windows Phone fans". It centers around a "mobile device" on ARM, (like others have been talking about). It was refreshing though hearing a "WP is dead" dude talking about a possible phone/mobile coming from MS in the future. "

My previous post only was referring to what the Sams' Report was claiming. In that podcast he called it "Windows on Arm" several times. (I just listened to it again to make sure).

In my book Mobile and Phones are the same thing. One can start calling shoes "feet coverings" but I'll continue to call them shoes.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'll quote myself,

"If you are a podcast listener take a look at Brad Sam's (Sam's Report) latest podcast. Brad has always been a "WP is dead" dude and his latest podcast is titled "New hope for Windows Phone fans". It centers around a "mobile device" on ARM, (like others have been talking about). It was refreshing though hearing a "WP is dead" dude talking about a possible phone/mobile coming from MS in the future. "

My previous post only was referring to what the Sams' Report was claiming. In that podcast he called it "Windows on Arm" several times. (I just listened to it again to make sure).

In my book Mobile and Phones are the same thing. One can start calling shoes "feet coverings" but I'll continue to call them shoes.

That's a bit weird. That would make two official statements from MSFT a lie. That WoA is coming at the end of the year, and it will be focused on tablets/laptops/servers. More likely he's wrong IMO. But either way I suppose its possible I guess.

Would you call a 2 in 1 a laptop? You might call it a tablet, but only some of the time. At least when comparing to other tablets, you'd call it a hybrid, 2 in 1, surface, 360, convertible etc. That's the kind of form shift I am expecting, actually compared to candybar slabs, it may even be a bit more radical. It may be a phone, but people will want to call it something different from "smartphone" to avoid confusion, in the same way people call hybrids that rather than laptops or laptops, at least some of the time.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
That's a bit weird. That would make two official statements from MSFT a lie. That WoA is coming at the end of the year, and it will be focused on tablets/laptops/servers. More likely he's wrong IMO. But either way I suppose its possible I guess.

Would you call a 2 in 1 a laptop? You might call it a tablet, but only some of the time. At least when comparing to other tablets, you'd call it a hybrid, 2 in 1, surface, 360, convertible etc. That's the kind of form shift I am expecting, actually compared to candybar slabs, it may even be a bit more radical. It may be a phone, but people will want to call it something different from "smartphone" to avoid confusion, in the same way people call hybrids that rather than laptops or laptops, at least some of the time.

In the podcast that followed (that he did on a beach vacation) he claimed he recieved "confirmation" on that MS is working on phone hardware. He added that he didn't know if it was the long rumored Surface phone but he is guessing it is because it is coming from that team.

I would call a 2 and 1 a 2 and 1 I guess. I call a tablet a tablet. If MS releases a 5 inch tablet that is capable of making phone calls I will call it a phone. Just like everyone else would. 🙂

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05