Positive Windows phone news thread

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
In the podcast that followed (that he did on a beach vacation) he claimed he recieved "confirmation" on that MS is working on phone hardware. He added that he didn't know if it was the long rumored Surface phone but he is guessing it is because it is coming from that team.

I would call a 2 and 1 a 2 and 1 I guess. I call a tablet a tablet. If MS releases a 5 inch tablet that is capable of making phone calls I will call it a phone. Just like everyone else would. ������

Twitter: @PhotographyET

And if it has dual detachable screens in a re-arrangeable clamshell configuration like I suspect Andromeda is (due to code folks have discovered mentioning dual gyros and a hinge value for the OS paired with this hardware)?

See here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/h0x0d/status/865413437551067137

Would you still call it "a phone"? Yes, technically its a phone, but as with a 2 in 1, when speaking of tablets in general, a separate word is required to distinguish the difference.

View attachment 135864
(From one of MSFTs aspirational videos, and suspiciously matches the values found in the code perfectly - clamshell, dual screen, detachable)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
And if it has dual detachable screens in a re-arrangeable clamshell configuration like I suspect Andromeda is (due to code folks have discovered mentioning dual gyros and a hinge value for the OS paired with this hardware)?

See here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/h0x0d/status/865413437551067137

Would you still call it "a phone"? Yes, technically its a phone, but as with a 2 in 1, when speaking of tablets in general, a separate word is required to distinguish the difference.

View attachment 135864
(From one of MSFTs aspirational videos, and suspiciously matches the values found in the code perfectly - clamshell, dual screen, detachable)

This would be the next step from the 3 in 1's. HP opened it up with their phablet calling it the 3 in 1 category. Why would this "new" device be any different. Just a step beyond or an improvement upon.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Now they could take it even beyond that (the 3 in 1's) and like they are stating and planning defining/pioneering a totally new category. Which is probably more of what we think and hope for...That is what has everyone wondering. Like what could this thing be or function like. With that in mind, I am really wondering if Microsoft is going to pull off whatever it is. If they do they will be running the show as it could be and should be unlike anything already available.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
This would be the next step from the 3 in 1's. HP opened it up with their phablet calling it the 3 in 1 category. Why would this "new" device be any different. Just a step beyond or an improvement upon.

Look at the picture attached. It's different. Its not a phablet, nor a 3 in 1. More like a phone ....bookpad? lol.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/a...-windows-phones/135864-screenshot-20-221-.jpg

Basically it can be made super small, so its even more portable than current slabs, yet still has decent screen real estate. It may be that credit card size or larger, and it'll probably IMO come in two different sizes. Either way, it'll be smaller in the pocket versus screen real estate.

The two halves function independently, so you can use one to make a call, the other to second screen, or use one to make a skype call, the other to have a map (as displayed).

You could probably share one screen with a friend to play games. The exact flexibility of the detachable clamshell design is probably something MSFT has more ideas for than I do....it's definitely flexible whatever the case.

It's basically designed for portability and multi-tasking from what I can tell. Presumably you can fold something across both screens too, or use one of the panels as a keyboard, maybe use it as a tent, for skyping someone whilst active....

They'll be used the same tech they used in the surface book (ie the internals are distributed yet the display is "cast" across both halves)

I wonder if it'll have inking.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Look at the picture attached. It's different. Its not a phablet, nor a 3 in 1.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/a...-windows-phones/135864-screenshot-20-221-.jpg

Basically it can be made super small, so its even more portable than current slabs, yet still has decent screen real estate. It may be that credit card size or larger, and it'll probably IMO come in two different sizes. Either way, it'll be smaller in the pocket versus screen real estate.

The two halves function independently, so you can use one to make a call, the other to second screen, or use one to make a skype call, the other to have a map (as displayed).

You could probably share one screen with a friend to play games.

It's basically designed for portability and multi-tasking from what I can tell. Presumably you can fold something across both screens too, or use one of the panels as a keyboard, maybe use it as a tent, for skyping someone whilst active....

If it is something similar or like this, I wonder if it would be directed at Enterprise/corporate users first. I myself am an IT professional and I love W10M for that matter. But from a consumer standpoint I gravitated and sometimes still do to iOS and Android simply because they are prosumer focused first then Corporate/enterprise focused second...

This is me wishfully thinking here...What I am hoping they do which I do not feel they can based on where things are at for now, is create this reboot for the Windows consumer first. That is why I have my hopes up on this one, and that Microsoft plays the cards in the way where they leave W10M for enterprise/corporate maybe renaming it later as mentioned before above. Then when this new category comes that is for consumers first. It is weird that they even released the Lumia x50s now that I see it, and they only did it for the fans really. Which is cool. They have a plan ahead and to keep the peace put some slabs together, when they could have saved it for another time and place. So I have feeling they will do something like what I am hoping for mobile, but I am hoping for their sake they do it sooner than later. And if they don't well they are no worse off then where they are now or headed with mobile...so I guess it is a do or die situation.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If it is something similar or like this, I wonder if it would be directed at Enterprise/corporate users first. I myself am an IT professional and I love W10M for that matter. But from a consumer standpoint I gravitated and sometimes still do to iOS and Android simply because they are prosumer focused first then Corporate/enterprise focused second...

This is me wishfully thinking here...What I am hoping they do which I do not feel they can based on where things are at for now, is create this reboot for the Windows consumer first. That is why I have my hopes up on this one, and that Microsoft plays the cards in the way where they leave W10M for enterprise/corporate maybe renaming it later as mentioned before above. Then when this new category comes that is for consumers first. It is weird that they even released the Lumia x50s now that I see it, and they only did it for the fans really. Which is cool. They have a plan ahead and to keep the peace put some slabs together, when they could have saved it for another time and place. So I have feeling they will do something like what I am hoping for mobile, but I am hoping for their sake they do it sooner than later. And if they don't well they are no worse off then where they are now or headed with mobile...so I guess it is a do or die situation.

Well I hope for something even more extreme - an xbox branded phone:

https://aka.ms/R5c3sy

What I pictured above might be enterprise focused. Multi-tasking is definitely an enterprise/prosumer type of feature.

But we also know that the win10m sku, or a replacement for it, has some big changes coming based on MSFTs saying the whartonbrooks phone could not possibly get rs3. We'll likely get rs3 IMO, then they'll be changing the hardware standard (maybe for WoA).

What they are doing there IDK. Anyones guess. But I think already win10m is a fantastic consumer friendly phone.

Windows is familiar to people, and my mum, a total technophobe found it easier to use than her android (she made me install an imitation app launcher).

The problem is really there I think with marketing - they marketed win8 on phones, pushed it, lost money, and then when the more evolved win10m was baked enough to be pitched at consumers they were re-entrenching. There's really nothing preventing the current platform from being consumer oriented other than marketing a bit more apps (which MSFT is working on anyway).

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
There is a bit more they need to do if they want to win over current and new mobile users. Everyone is glued and stuck on the next "Android" or "i"-type flagship. Microsoft would need to shift those users and their focus over to whatever this new thing will be. Apps is one part of the equation. I am wondering if they come with some kind of slab first, that introduces aspects of the newer technology to become. The new phablet or device that has specs and appeal that grabs many users attention so they decide to just try it. This xbox-device you listed maybe (which I cannot view). Or maybe they come full throttle and put out an all new creation. It will be interesting to see what their plans are.

EDIT: I was able to open that link. Thanks.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I upvoted this btw. I am no where close to a gamer, but imagine the xbox team teams up with the Mobile device group and Surface team?

Thanks! I'm not even a big gamer either.

I just think this would be a game changer for the consumer smartphone market - even just to use as a portable "TV streaming box" for music and video.

As a fan of MSFT platforms (being freer and more user centric than the competition, and the important that has for human innovation, as well as be as a user) - I just want to see MSFT do well. I KNOW they could if the xbox team worked with the mobile device/OS group to build an entertainment phone.

I upvoted this btw. I am no where close to a gamer, but imagine the xbox team teams up with the Mobile device group and Surface team?

Thanks! I'm not even a big gamer either.

I just think this would be a game changer for the consumer smartphone market - even just to use as a portable "TV streaming box" for music and video.

As a fan of MSFT platforms (being freer and more user centric than the competition, and the important that has for human innovation, as well as be as a user) - I just want to see MSFT do well. I KNOW they could if the xbox team worked with the mobile device/OS group to build an entertainment phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Just switched from att to t-mobile and used an iPhone 7 to activate. Even though the cellular speeds are so much faster, and i get features like VoLTE and wifi calling, I gave up after a few days. SIM right back into my 950.

I just miss the start screen so much, more than I realized. Also the iOS app store is ridiculously large, not that its a bad thing, but I can see why people are leaving WP. I have ten apps on my iPhone so that was never an issue, not an app-heavy user myself.

I have the Idol 4S on tmobile as well, but it's just so slippery and I'm so afraid to break it, even with the qmadix solution. SIM will go b/w the two depending on my mood, I suppose lol.

Love my 950! 🎶 Never gonna give you up 🎶

Sent from mTalk

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Just switched from att to t-mobile and used an iPhone 7 to activate. Even though the cellular speeds are so much faster, and i get features like VoLTE and wifi calling, I gave up after a few days. SIM right back into my 950.

I just miss the start screen so much, more than I realized. Also the iOS app store is ridiculously large, not that its a bad thing, but I can see why people are leaving WP. I have ten apps on my iPhone so that was never an issue, not an app-heavy user myself.

I have the Idol 4S on tmobile as well, but it's just so slippery and I'm so afraid to break it, even with the qmadix solution. SIM will go b/w the two depending on my mood, I suppose lol.

Love my 950! 🎶 Never gonna give you up 🎶

Sent from mTalk

Brad Sams mentioned in his WP podcast that T-Mobile and MS are basically neighbors in Seattle and he speculated they are working in concert in the "new" phone/mobile hardware concept. I hope that doesn't mean some type of T-Mobile only release if some type of new hardware is going to be released.

Sent from mTalk

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Love the name! ??????????????????
I'm downloading as soon as I get home.

Thanks! I was going to call it "Fidget Spinners" as the name was available in the store, but then Trump did his mysterious midnight tweet, so I grabbed that name as well and put it to twitter to vote. FWIW, my 4 year old calls it "coffee spinner".

TPoll.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb