Positive Windows phone news thread

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I love the camera on the 950, just wish it was faster. I have fast moving toddlers, and between pushing the button and taking the picture the moment is gone. That is my only gripe with the 950 camera. The pictures that do turn out as you intend look amazing, bright or low light.
Probably one of the trade offs for quality photos. I've been using the idol4s for the past week and it surprised me this week. I took shots from a moving car from behind the window that turned out pretty good, but I'm no photographer. Even though I tweaked the registry to enable features for it I found it snaps auto HDR photos real well. Must be the SD820.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
The camera on the 950XL is pretty good...
some snaps by the beach...
hand-held, low light sunset scene

WP_20170626_18_42_08_Pro.jpg

then if you zoom into one of the silhouettes, you can appreciate the details it capture...
(thats lowlight, hand-held 1/275, auto mode)
WP_20170626_18_42_08_Pro crop.jpg

Last edited:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@raycpl, 'Beautiful sunset' at the 'beach', and everyone appears to be looking down at the smartphones...something wrong with that picture (pun intended:)

at least the guy you featured looks to be on the right track, looks to be carrying a couple brewskys:)

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
@raycpl, 'Beautiful sunset' at the 'beach', and everyone appears to be looking down at the smartphones...something wrong with that picture (pun intended:)

at least the guy you featured looks to be on the right track, looks to be carrying a couple brewskys:)

U6RhWUS.jpg

tIbIzqc.jpg

It's a very popular spot (Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu) for sunsets.. people tend to act touristy, and become part of the landscape.

...!!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
2 interesting ideas on why Microsoft keeps updating windows phone Microsoft's continuing commitment to Windows 10 Mobile means...

A third possibility - they are keeping win10m alive, for a "second entry device catergory" rather than a replacement device. A surface pro, to their existing surface laptop. That their intention is to keep win10m alive, whilst designing a sibling device, with a sibling OS, that they hope will also boost sales and development for the existing win10m platform, along with the boost that windows s, and windows on arm tablets should offer the UWP platform.

Simply - that despite everyone's assumption to the contrary, they actually aren't done yet.

Look at a historical example - apple. Mac almost tanked. They had to change the chipset, and strip back expenses to keep to company afloat. They even got help from gates, to prevent bankruptcy. Then they came out with the ipod. And then the iPhone - but they never abandoned mac, and now their MacBook is a hot selling notebook, and mac sales are doing okay again.

You don't nessasarily need the device that is failing, to succeed, in order to return it to profitability. You simply need the company brand, and the ecosystem to succeed, and then the device falls into place.

If a new mobile device were successful, and windows on arm also boosts UWP, and is successful, by proxy win10m will be more successful - as the company branding, and the ecosystem would both be boosted.

I don't think win10m is going anywhere. I think they intend to keep it on long term. Hence why they are developing cshell for it. Much like apple held on to mac, only for it to be revived by their successes in phones and mp3 players.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

I'm aware they are developing the Andromeda device, and aware its running two detachable screens. That and the patents don't really fit "running full windows", nor does other insider leaks saying this is a branch, or sibling of win10m.

It's absolutely a thing, and its a big thing. But...

Everything I have read, and the fact this design has a screen gap, suggests its a bridging technology, more of a multi-tasking device based on win10m with cshell, than something intended to run full windows across two screens with a crease/gap in the middle.

Basically a "surface pro" to the conventional laptop that is win10m.

I mean if it did run "full windows on arm", would it really be a good experience full screening win32 apps, across a gap in the middle?
You might do it, but it wouldn't be very ideal for a UX. Much better would be running two apps side by side, or an app designed to run two halves of a UI.

I'd be interested to hear what his insiders said, rather than what he has to say. I get sick and tired of bloggers hearing one thing from insiders and letting their mind fill in the blanks. I want direct quotes :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos