Positive Windows phone news thread

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
According to latest Win Central podcast (and other podcast and articles) the Surface Phone is a real thing. Still not sure what OS it's going to run but I am guessing full Windows.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
And I know this isn't the proper place for this, or is it? But, Dan said in the podcast that there are no new W10M devices in the works from 3rd party OEMs... But what of the updated Elite X3 that HP had behind glass at the convention a couple of months back? Is he forgetting about that or has it been revealed that it is running W10 on Arm or some variant?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Well actions speak louder than words, something we've seen severely lacking.

MSFT has been doing updates, bugfixes, even a feature. They are promoting the UWP platform at build. They've put code for a new mobile device into current builds.

IDK, its not like they have literally done nothing. It's just what they have done isn't "clear signalling", in many peoples minds. Its more...ambigious. At the end of the day, they are a company, they don't share every plan, and only time will ultimately tell.

But I equally don't think we should auto-dismiss everything then that has been official said, or employees have said. It's all "datapoints".

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
In before the next "WM10 is dead" thread.

I've noticed a lot of companies are starting to hold off on releasing info about things in the works. Especially if they want to get things "just right" for consumers. We probably won't start hearing anything useful until whatever they have planned is ready for a release.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I've noticed a lot of companies are starting to hold off on releasing info about things in the works. Especially if they want to get things "just right" for consumers. We probably won't start hearing anything useful until whatever they have planned is ready for a release.

According to Brad Sams' last podcast we "could" see hardware in October. That was just a guess though and he didn't say phones he said hardware. <shrug>

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
According to Brad Sams' last podcast we "could" see hardware in October. That was just a guess though and he didn't say phones he said hardware. <shrug>

The only problem with these guesses is, when they don't come true, people get more irritated and leave the platform. MS never officially said it but they still get blamed. I think they're doing the right thing, don't say anything until it's ready for market. If you're Apple or Samsung, you want to build excitement because you've proven yourself before. People know it will come out. Two completely different scenarios.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
FWIW: I was talking with a tech at one of the Microsoft Stores, and he said that they haven't even settled on a form factor yet, they are testing number of different Mobile Device on ARM, but no firm Form Factor has been agreed upon. He said a new Device won't be ready until late 2018, at the earliest.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
FWIW: I was talking with a tech at one of the Microsoft Stores, and he said that they haven't even settled on a form factor yet, they are testing number of different Mobile Device on ARM, but no firm Form Factor has been agreed upon. He said a new Device won't be ready until late 2018, at the earliest.

Considering how tight-lipped MS has been on hardware, how little has been known ahead of releases, I somehow doubt very much that a tech at a MS store would have any inside knowledge on this. It just seems like decisions etc wouldn't extend that far if they wanted to keep things under wraps. In fact, I'd say the fact that he's talking about it in the first place shows that he couldn't be trusted with it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Considering how tight-lipped MS has been on hardware, how little has been known ahead of releases, I somehow doubt very much that a tech at a MS store would have any inside knowledge on this. It just seems like decisions etc wouldn't extend that far if they wanted to keep things under wraps. In fact, I'd say the fact that he's talking about it in the first place shows that he couldn't be trusted with it.
Ya but it does not hurt to chime in around here. We are use to our doses of salt with what we get anyway...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers