Positive Windows phone news thread

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I guess it's cheaper than paying licensing fees for iOS or Android. I do notice though that right now most shows or films feature the Microsoft Surface or SufaceBook (especially Netflix shows).

If only Microsoft had been that aggressive with Windows 10 Mobile....

Yeah I see Surface products quite a bit. In one of the new shows I watch, whenever a main or supporting character uses a computer, they are using Surface products or at least one character is using one.

On Instagram, I also get a lot of Surface ads daily...

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I see Surface products quite a bit. In one of the new shows I watch, whenever a main or supporting character uses a computer, they are using Surface products or at least one character is using one.

On Instagram, I also get a lot of Surface ads daily...

If only MS had done this more with Windows Phone. Hopefully, if/when MS launches Andromeda, they will market it more than they have their (now) dead products in the past.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Not so much positive phone news, but more "positive news for those who bought into the WP ecosystem": today I connected my 'free' Lumia 950XL Display Dock / Continuum dock aka HD500 to a Thunderbolt port on my X1 Yoga, and lo and behold, I have a perfect looking 1920x1200 native resolution on my Dell monitor. Finally I get to use that free dock! :)

The only downside is that the X1Y requires 20V for charging, and the HD500 only offers 5V. So that means I can use the dock for about 7 hours until I need to charge the X1Y. Not too bad, I rarely work seven hours straight while at home. Glad I didn't sell it or throw it away. Thanks Microsoft!

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
There is a show on Netflix called Greenhouse Academy. Season 2 started February this year. In it they have Surface devices but I also noticed that the only phones all the characters seem to use are Lumia 950s. That's interesting seeing as it is a 2018 series.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
There is a show on Netflix called Greenhouse Academy. Season 2 started February this year. In it they have Surface devices but I also noticed that the only phones all the characters seem to use are Lumia 950s. That's interesting seeing as it is a 2018 series.

Since it’s a show, all they need are props. If they needed fully capable and functioning devices, Android/IOS devices would be needed.... LOL ;-) JK

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hawaii 5-0 is still using L950s after 7 seasons. It’s been picked up for an 8th season so I’m curious if they’re going to continue using them.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Is the increase in the number of PWA something positive? Obviously it will not save WP, but it might improve things for the few remaining users. :) It's at least possible to turn on service workers etc on WM in Edge (about:flags, scroll waayyyy down), but can we then get PWA functionality simply by going to the website, or would we still need to install these from the store? :confused: Any experts here?

You can't get notifications or use them offline. But you can install PWAs. Just go to the store, find twitter or uber and install - those are both PWAs now (which means more features for both, but again, no notifications). It does help. The old uber app and twitter app were garbage and also discontinued.

Plus, apple and google are both in on PWAs. Which means we will get a lot more of them.

If some enterprising coder were to write a notifications service worker for us, that would be an amazing thing. But it's still good as it is.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Since it’s a show, all they need are props. If they needed fully capable and functioning devices, Android/IOS devices would be needed.... LOL ;-) JK

Yeah IDK, lumias are super abundant in TV shows. Why would the TV industry prefer them as props? Maybe it's so that they don't look as mundane or commonplace, and make the characters seem more special...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah IDK, lumias are super abundant in TV shows. Why would the TV industry prefer them as props? Maybe it's so that they don't look as mundane or commonplace, and make the characters seem more special...

Hollywood has historically used Nokia phones, even long before smartphones. I’m guessing it’s a carryover from that.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
You can't get notifications or use them offline. But you can install PWAs. Just go to the store, find twitter or uber and install - those are both PWAs now (which means more features for both, but again, no notifications). It does help. The old uber app and twitter app were garbage and also discontinued.

Plus, apple and google are both in on PWAs. Which means we will get a lot more of them.

If some enterprising coder were to write a notifications service worker for us, that would be an amazing thing. But it's still good as it is.

Isn't 'always connected' and 5G going to take care of the 24/7 accessibility issue eventually? Also, I thought I read somewhere that notifications via Edge/Cortana where on the to-do list for MS:>)

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Isn't 'always connected' and 5G going to take care of the 24/7 accessibility issue eventually? Also, I thought I read somewhere that notifications via Edge/Cortana where on the to-do list for MS:>)

Well notifications via edge in itself may or may not do it, depending on whether they write the service worker. That could be good news, but the PWA gets wrapped as a UWP, and I think it runs independently from edge. Or that's what I heard.

5G really doesn't help offline or low network access at all. The current tech depends on multiple carriers on multiple frequencies - Ie it will only be available in dense population areas.

That said, offline access really isn't a big deal for PWAs. Basically anything you'd use them for (like the current examples of twitter and uber), you want to do online anyway. For stuff you'd actually want to do offline, like a game, or a map, there are full UWPs.

Notifications are the only big deal. Personally to be, there's very few apps I really want notifications from. Twitter isn't really one of them - for me. Uber would be nice to get notifications from, but if your calling an uber, you can just leave the app open.

So it's not a killer, but it would be nice. I kind of like to think, that if MSFT doesn't make a service for notifications, that some enterprising win mobile enthusiast could. When blackberry stopped supporting blackberry, a coder fan made an app suite that helped users install android apps better.

I think PWA serves the same purpose for win10m - it will keep the ecosystem going long after msft has stopped supporting it themselves. And much better than the android installs did for blackberry for that matter (because for them, the android engine version has really dated, whereas for us, PWA is just getting started and is backed by everyone)

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
It’s because they can buy them in bulk at liquidation prices. They keep them in prop storage with old BlackBerry phones.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It’s because they can buy them in bulk at liquidation prices. They keep them in prop storage with old BlackBerry phones.

Yeah, it's not like you can't get cheap android phones that are priced lower than lumias though. A refurbished 950 costs a lot more than a bargain basement android phone.

My theory is, that at some point Microsoft was pushing product placement (like they are now with the surface), and the phones just stuck around. Likely blackberry was doing the same.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If it ain't broken...then keep using it!
On the WP being on the big screen: @Drael646464 I like your earlier comment and mostly see it that way.
Do you think it is to provide a mysterious like theme? Lets face it nobody knows what a WP or W10M OS/WP Device really looks like, or at least the majority don't. Especially the younger generations. I think that provides a certain on-Screen presence of the actor/actress using it. Kinda ominous, like "what are they using?" kind of theme...young people/adults are heavily attracted to what everyone else is already accustom to. Mobile phones are still huge for teens nowadays as they only get hand me downs or used old devices from parents. And they use the tar out of them, believe me. So why would they not want to focus in on what their favorite show or actor/actress is carrying? I don't know just a thought...

Then again like said above...they ran out of the Palm's as a selection while back and moved on from BB earlier since BBOS is almost officially dead. Now WP gets to shine "ominously" for a few more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss