Positive Windows phone news thread

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't begrudge anyone who wants another windows phone built but I stick by my guns, don't expect a lineup of manufacturers fighting to build the next one.
I don't expect another new WM phone anymore than I expect a new Plymouth to hit showroom floors. The point was that there is an option for those who would want one regardless of how sh***y it may or may not be. BTW, the last few updates on Windows Camera made the Idol's imaging prowess (snark alert) serviceable and almost tolerable.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't expect another new WM phone anymore than I expect a new Plymouth to hit showroom floors. The point was that there is an option for those who would want one regardless of how sh***y it may or may not be. BTW, the last few updates on Windows Camera made the Idol's imaging prowess (snark alert) serviceable and almost tolerable.

Maybe if I’m bored this weekend I’ll pull it out of my junk drawer and update it so I can now have a tolerable camera on it. Maybe instead I’ll go get a root canal.
You seem to think I don’t want others to take advantage of a Wiley Fox or Alcatel used phone to run Windows Mobile if they so desire. Nothing could be further from the truth. I just wish they had more. I wish I could still be using Windows phone. I wish there were intelligent people running out government. I’m batting 0.00.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Maybe if I’m bored this weekend I’ll pull it out of my junk drawer and update it so I can now have a tolerable camera on it. Maybe instead I’ll go get a root canal.
You seem to think I don’t want others to take advantage of a Wiley Fox or Alcatel used phone to run Windows Mobile if they so desire. Nothing could be further from the truth. I just wish they had more. I wish I could still be using Windows phone. I wish there were intelligent people running out government. I’m batting 0.00.

Preach it!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

That's not it at all. The fact there's an offering on a known dead OS has to count for something! We all wish there were more WM choices and that Windows or something else was a viable 3rd option OS-wise.

Oh before I forget, do the updates before you sit in the dentist's chair. The root canal may hurt less that way.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
So are your Bills. :winktongue:

Sorry, you walked right into that one.

There was a day that would have gotten my dander up! Not any more, I lack emotion in regards to pro football. They just lost me.
Our college team, UB Bulls, are destroying Rutgers at the moment 35-6 in the first half. And it’s hockey season!
As far as walking into things I’m not sure if that’s because of old age or not, but I’m using that as an excuse! 🤣

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't get why small companies are still trying to battle for a share of android. Are the chances of getting a buyer still worth the effort? They should throw out both android and w10m versions of their phones

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Longing to see release of new Windows phone even though i know it won't happen anytime soon with Nadella at the forefront,still rocking my Lumia 950 XL,will be getting an iPhone X 256GB for little over 500GB so I'll be taking that deal, my cousin bought hers last year and is upgrading ,so I'll be buying hers and using all Microsoft apps on it

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I love my new ebay special Lumia 950 xl I received last week. Just boarded a United flight with the W10m United app. Glad to be off Android again. F* Google! I do miss the Onenote widget and Bing app on Android though.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I love my new ebay special Lumia 950 xl I received last week. Just boarded a United flight with the W10m United app.

Congrats! How much did you get it for? I might want to buy a backup lol.

Also, no app needed for air Canada, I just check in with their website and boarding pass loads up on edge

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Originally Posted by nate0
Same here. I am not sure if we would notice it after a hard reset or something maybe. The article that reported this update is here..https://www.onmsft.com/news/mail-app...one-email-sigs
Originally Posted by Timbre70
Mine is still showing Mobile.

Not sure why but my older Windows phones say "Sent from my Windows 10 Device" while the Idol 4s and Lumia 950 XL say "Sent from my Windows 10 Phone".

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
How is the Primo. The complete package including the keyboard is $99 on eBay. This is the sealed, brand new variety.
The most underrated phone ever. Now that I was able to bring it up to 1709 I can easily rank this phone as a top 3. There is no clear #1 because everybody knows the 950 series is the top dog in the camera department but it lacks a fingerprint scanner, decent sounds and the screen is dim and dull as hell. The Idol 4S has the best audio but lacks NFC and has a s**t camera. The Elite x3 has a very nice display (maybe the best), average audio, average camera and the best fingerprint scanner on a Windows phone. The Primo is tied with the x3 in display (it's gorgeous), 2nd place for audio, 2nd place for camera (only with the 1709 update) but lacks fingerprint scanner and NFC. Even though it has the same RAM and CPU as the 950, I'm thoroughly convinced it performs better than even the 950 XL. It doesn't get hot under any circumstances except under prolonged Edge sessions.

Even if you keep it at Threshold 2, it performs very well but the FCU updates elevate the camera past the x3 and way past the Idol. You can't beat it for $100 regardless of OS especially with the full Continuum package.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I agree with what fatclue_98 stated except for his take on the Lumia 950s display. I currently draw the 950 XL as the best Windows phone display around imo. The 1520 to me is 2nd and Elite X3 would be my 3rd. If the Elite X3 had more control over their oempanel driver (like the Lumia Color Profile does) I would almost bet it would be number 1.

I know the 950 XL can peak to 700+ nits of brightness and the color accuracy is one the best out there with at the time had one of the lowest DeltaE deviations and might still be. Over time though OLED panels degrade and who knows what else may have affected the display through the slew of updates over the years. On certain FW/OS builds the display output and Sunlight readability are way different than on the Newest FW and OS builds. I honestly have been looking around for some time now for cheaper replacement OLEDs for the 950 XL because I know I need them and will so in the future. They are still crazy expensive though at times $150.00 US or around there.

The Lumia 950 is almost as good as the XL models display just not as bright and calibrated a bit differently of course.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb