Supporting family with Windows 10 mobile... is it time to call it a day?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Ooh I didn't know that you got a iPad Pro too. What size? How is it so far?

Agreed. I think it doesn't make sense to try to force something that isn't the best choice for you anymore in the name of loyalty.

Just bought it used Friday and it arrived yesterday. While I haven't had a ton of time to play around with it, it seems to meet my expectations thus far. I got the 9.7" with 128gb in storage.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
True, it's just that once to plant yourself into an ecosystem you like, you'd like it to continue to perform to your expectations. As of right now, though it takes some work to change, I had to do this. But like I said, I can still play around with W10 and wait for the mythical phone fairy to show up!
Good luck. Many apps have more functionality than you had on Windows but you will find some head-scratching limitations on others.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Good luck. Many apps have more functionality than you had on Windows but you will find some head-scratching limitations on others.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

Thanks. I've simplified my life quite a bit lately so it should be mostly OK. I understand what you're saying though.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Just bought it used Friday and it arrived yesterday. While I haven't had a ton of time to play around with it, it seems to meet my expectations thus far. I got the 9.7" with 128gb in storage.

Sweet! I hope it works out for you. It's going to be interesting that you have a Surface Pro and an iPad Pro, along with phones that sync well with each one.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well, I think I'm going to sell the Surface Pro. Don't need both and I have a Windows laptop.

Ohh okay, sounds like a plan. Since you have a Windows laptop, you should be just fine. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your experience with the iPad Pro.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Ohh okay, sounds like a plan. Since you have a Windows laptop, you should be just fine. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your experience with the iPad Pro.

I know one thing, the typing experience is much better. Always had issues with the VKB on the SP4.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
My uncle who used a Lumia 640 XL for 2 years has now moved on to a brand new IPhone 7 Big.
The reason he moved on? He can't easily upload photos and videos through the Facebook app.

My cousin on the other whom I gave my trusty old Lumia 822 only kept it for 6 months and is now using an IPhone 6

Oh well, knew the time would come.

My girlfriend will follow shortly possibly in the next few months with a new Android.

These people had no complaints in general about Windows 10 Mobile as a phone OS.
It's just the Facebook app didn't cut it and colored their opinion of the whole OS.

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE

It's done.

The picture below is a is a sad indictment on Microsoft. Is this what Satya Nadella wants?

In any case, the results have been really positive so far.
Any fondness for Windows mobile's unique UI are quickly being forgotten after experiencing Apple's amazing app performance. Banking and proper FB apps are really appreciated.

Some comments after setting up x3 iPhone 6s & x1 iPad Air II:

• iTunes still sucks. Fortunately you don't need to use it for anything much, but I was asked to add a custom ring tone. My god, it was a painful process.
  • I wanted to change the notification alert for Skype. Apple says NO! (same for Messenger).
  • You can't set up an iPhone without a SIM card - which is kinda annoying.
  • Each device is connected to Outlook.com accounts, but through Apple apps rather than Microsoft's Outlook app just because I thought it would be easier. Contacts & emails sync two-way. Excellent.
  • Microsoft really needs to tidy up their contacts system. It was frustrating linking Skype & Outlook.com contacts. I still don't know how it all works. The fact that Skype is a different division to the rest of Microsoft really shows.
  • Microsoft apps on iOS work really well. OneDrive is great. If your email is coming from Outlook.com, I reckon it makes good sense to use OneDrive over iCloud.
  • Siri is great - fast, accurate & responsive.

I'm pleased I went with iOS over Android for my family - no launches, app drawers, or widgets. It's more inline with Windows mobile in terms of OS simplicity. However, I still reckon the Windows mobile UI is easier to use. The back button and the search magnifying glass on Windows are initiative & useful. The location of the back button in iOS varies.

I downloaded the Google search app on each device. For one, the Bing app isn't even available in New Zealand!

I like to think I've set-up each device with the best on offer from Microsoft, Apple & Google.

My brother & dad still have Windows devices - but they only phone & text (my brother is still on WP7!). But I'll swap them over next.

I'm still rocking my 950 XL. Whether I change to Samsung or Apple will be decided in Sept/Oct.

wp_20170727_09_45_45_rich.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft really needs to tidy up their contacts system. It was frustrating linking Skype & Outlook.com contacts. I still don't know how it all works. The fact that Skype is a different division to the rest of Microsoft really shows.
I'm glad the transition has been smooth for you but you're mistaken about the contact integration. Skype contacts sync perfectly with Outlook - on Windows phones. The fact iOS is so ridiculously locked down is not Microsoft's fault. You can set custom ringtones and notifications on any Microsoft app with Windows or Android, but Apple doesn't play nice.

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Skype contacts sync perfectly with Outlook - on Windows phones. The fact iOS is so ridiculously locked down is not Microsoft's fault. You can set custom ringtones and notifications on any Microsoft app with Windows or Android, but Apple doesn't play nice.

Yeah, no issue with the sync between the Outlook.com & Sync.

Here are the issues:

• You can't edit a skype contacts in Outlook.com
  • You can't delete a skype contact in Outlook.com.
  • You have to link Skype & outlook.com contacts otherwise you've duplicates
  • Sometimes Outlook.com decides to link contacts you don't want linked (and vice-a-versa)
  • Skype asks to import contacts from Outlook.com - which ends up pulling across a bunch of phone numbers.

Microsoft need a unified contacts platform.

Re: the walled garden nature of iOS, yeah, it would be nice to set a custom notification alert, but it's not a big deal.

Re: iOS v Android. Given the open nature of Android & the many price points it's available at, I suspect Android dominants is only going to grow & improve.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: the walled garden nature of iOS, yeah, it would be nice to set a custom notification alert, but it's not a big deal. .

I think that's available but not implemented for Skype. (Notice how my ringtone is from my 950xl and my message alert is from my Note 2?)

7c978edb8265f73410626891b3daf7d8.jpg

039077a962873251615bfd2cd181a716.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think that's available but not implemented for Skype. (Notice how my ringtone is from my 950xl and my message alert is from my Note 2?)

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170729/7c978edb8265f73410626891b3daf7d8.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170729/039077a962873251615bfd2cd181a716.jpg

The Microsoft apps require permission to access storage in order to use custom notifications. Perhaps with the rumored file manager in iOS 11 this will be possible. As it stands today, you can only use the MS-supplied ringtones.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Lord help the church! You don't want to know when your mother-in-law is calling without looking at your phone?

Sent from my Surface 3 on mTalk

LOL.
I'm actually not a big phone user, more of a data hog. When a call comes in from someone I know, their name shows up. Otherwise I don't answer. I could have a 10 minute plan and be good!

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE

My brother & dad still have Windows devices - but they only phone & text (my brother is still on WP7!). But I'll swap them over next.

I'm still rocking my 950 XL. Whether I change to Samsung or Apple will be decided in Sept/Oct.

The Windows Phone purge continues.

Huawei's for my dad, brother & Sister in law.

The salesperson talked me into buying the Huawei's - said they offer the most bang for the buck. And for low to mid-range phones, they're good quality. Plus, they don't have too much bloat.

I've put the Microsoft Launcher on two of them - not because of any loyalty to MS - it's actually a good launcher. I've transfered contacts from Outlook.com to Gmail because 1. Android still doesn't play nice with Outlook.com contacts 2. Gmail has a superior contacts system.

The Huawei phones. The middle phone is on 'simple mode' (looks Windows-ish!).

wp_20171223_13_28_35_rich-1_800.jpg

I still have my 950XL - still having trouble deciding on whether to go with an iPhone X or a high-end Android. I like them both.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The Windows Phone purge continues.

Huawei's for my dad, brother & Sister in law.

The salesperson talked me into buying the Huawei's - said they offer the most bang for the buck. And for low to mid-range phones, they're good quality. Plus, they don't have too much bloat.

I've put the Microsoft Launcher on two of them - not because of any loyalty to MS - it's actually a good launcher. I've transfered contacts from Outlook.com to Gmail because 1. Android still doesn't play nice with Outlook.com contacts 2. Gmail has a superior contacts system.

The Huawei phones. The middle phone is on 'simple mode' (looks Windows-ish!).

https://nickspxts.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/wp_20171223_13_28_35_rich-1_800.jpg

I still have my 950XL - still having trouble deciding on whether to go with an iPhone X or a high-end Android. I like them both.

Stick with what you like, Windows mobile, or be part of the problem. You are not irrelevant.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Gmail has a superior contacts system

I've never found it to be superior. It seems like it is on Android because they gimp all the others. I never had problem one with Outlook contacts on WP/W10M or on PC. Ditto webOS contacts on a webOS device.

It's relative, IMHO.

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I've never found it to be superior. It seems like it is on Android because they gimp all the others. I never had problem one with Outlook contacts on WP/W10M or on PC. Ditto webOS contacts on a webOS device.

It's relative, IMHO.

Yes, to be fair, I only used Gmail contacts for 30 mins while setting up.

I've had problems with Outlook contacts - primarily with linking Skype and Outlook.com. You can't delete Skype contacts from Outlook.com & if you remove the contact from Skype, this does not take affect in Outlook.com, at least not immediately.

I found in my dad's Outlook.com contacts - a contact had duplicated itself over 20 times!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss