What would it take for you to come back to Windows Mobile?

jprose30

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I loved my 950XL, but it wouldn't connect properly with my Hands Free Link on my new Honda. The voice texting feature is a must for my work, so I had to switch to an iPhone 7. I still think my 950XL is the superior phone, but because I can't use it in my car, I have to continue to begrudgingly use the iPhone. If Microsoft and Honda could get their act together and make the phone pair properly for SMS via bluetooth, I would switch back in a heartbeat.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I realised today, I am pretty wedded to my physical keyboard. Virtual keyboard just isn't the same, its frustrating and indirect.

Shame really I want to get into windows 10 mobile. I think its a good time to be doing so*, at the budget end
- it'll be two years ish before they refresh the OS on a new flagship. By that time anything low to midrange will be getting old anyway
- you can still get updates on any phone that can run them (which is better than ios or android).
- The feature updates mobile gets from desktop are better than the ones the other mobile OSs roll out, which mostly no one even uses - ie they might actually be useful.
- the browser is more fully featured than most phone browsers.
- UWPs are growing due to desktop,xbox and tablet, even if the mobile based ones aren't. Scorpio, windows on arm, increased tablet share and the holdout windows 7 users will only increase that. MS unification plans are starting to come together, which will be positive for apps
- Your guaranteed to have access to the major social platforms, skype, insta, facebook, youtube (given the former all have some MS stakeholdering, and the later is a webapp with third party options)
- Its different. Everything else is kinda boring. Smartphones at getting dull and samey.

And with the skills API coming, Cortana likely will end up being like an amazon echo in your pocket, and that could replace a fair bit of the functionality of apps anyway.

Not sure I'd recommend the very high end, without having cash to burn tho.

*May announcements withholding however!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I loved my 950XL, but it wouldn't connect properly with my Hands Free Link on my new Honda. The voice texting feature is a must for my work, so I had to switch to an iPhone 7. I still think my 950XL is the superior phone, but because I can't use it in my car, I have to continue to begrudgingly use the iPhone. If Microsoft and Honda could get their act together and make the phone pair properly for SMS via bluetooth, I would switch back in a heartbeat.

Couldn't you use Cortana to send the texts, and link audio?

smallmountain

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I would need these things:

* Microsoft demonstrating an actual commitment to building market share.
* Microsoft actually achieving 10% market share.
* Support for all the important things I can do on my iPhone that I was never able to do on my Windows Phone.

In short, nothing less than a Christmas miracle.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
For me, a significant number of Microsoft employees, especially senior management including Nadella, would have to switch to using Windows Mobile (or whatever they call the telephony focused version of Windows) as their primary devices. Because if they won't use it, why should I?

blazewon22

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I sold my 950 with all of the bells and whistles including a NexDock for a Nexus 6 for work about 6 months ago. The lack of App support was killing me. Continuum performance was terrible and the NexDock just flat out sucked.

I was really intrigued by the Elite x3 but ultimately it came down to Apps. As a business traveller, I needed my phone to have my Airline, Expense Report, and Conferencing apps to work reliably. When i'm delayed I really want to be entertained. When my family needs money I need to access my banking apps.

None of these things worked. Most were unavailable. Even the Microsoft Apps performed HORRIBLY. Freezes, Maps was unreliable. I almost missed an appointment once due to crashing and rebooting. Surprisingly, my 2014 Android phone performs well all day and runs all my necessary apps.

To come back I would need strong app support, stable base OS, and Windows ARM in Continuum mode.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
For me, a significant number of Microsoft employees, especially senior management including Nadella, would have to switch to using Windows Mobile (or whatever they call the telephony focused version of Windows) as their primary devices. Because if they won't use it, why should I?

Why not just use what works best for you?

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Why not just use what works best for you?

I am. It's this little operating system called Android. Maybe you've heard of it. :winktongue: It's amazing. I can use basically everything from Microsoft plus pretty much everything from everyone else. Even my favorite local, non-chain burger joint has an app for Android (and iOS) which they use to implement their loyalty program. Not on Windows, though.

Oh, I still have a Lumia 640, and for a few months I swapped my SIM back in just to see how thing were. I still like Windows Mobile, but I just can't live with it long term given the app and services situation. I'll keep it around as long as it still gets updates though to keep an eye on things. I might even get nostalgic again and swap my SIM back in for a while.

But I won't invest any more in it. Neither in terms of software nor hardware. Not until I see some evidence that Microsoft actually believes in what they're making. After all, aren't Microsoft employees the perfect candidates for that product? They cover all the bases. They're consumers and enterprise users, presumably heavily invested in Microsoft software and services. Why wouldn't a Windows mobile solution be a first choice for them? And if it's not something they use, what motivation is there for them to make it better? You know, the whole "eating their own dogfood" situation.

Kind of makes me wonder about the Elite X3 now that I typed that. Is HP using that device much in their own internal enterprise?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I am. It's this little operating system called Android. Maybe you've heard of it. :winktongue: It's amazing. I can use basically everything from Microsoft plus pretty much everything from everyone else. Even my favorite local, non-chain burger joint has an app for Android (and iOS) which they use to implement their loyalty program. Not on Windows, though.

Oh, I still have a Lumia 640, and for a few months I swapped my SIM back in just to see how thing were. I still like Windows Mobile, but I just can't live with it long term given the app and services situation. I'll keep it around as long as it still gets updates though to keep an eye on things. I might even get nostalgic again and swap my SIM back in for a while.

But I won't invest any more in it. Neither in terms of software nor hardware. Not until I see some evidence that Microsoft actually believes in what they're making. After all, aren't Microsoft employees the perfect candidates for that product? They cover all the bases. They're consumers and enterprise users, presumably heavily invested in Microsoft software and services. Why wouldn't a Windows mobile solution be a first choice for them? And if it's not something they use, what motivation is there for them to make it better? You know, the whole "eating their own dogfood" situation.

Kind of makes me wonder about the Elite X3 now that I typed that. Is HP using that device much in their own internal enterprise?

So despite being perfectly happy with android, you'd switch back to windows 10 mobile, despite your troubles with apps, if everyone in MS used one.

That....doesn't sound true.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
At this point I don't know if they could drag me back. The biggest thing that killed me was the lack of apps. This is not an issue that gets fixed overnight or anyone actually knows how to fix for sure. Things like Google support is important to me even though I am willing to try new systems and I bounce between Outlook email and Gmail on a daily basis I have yet to find a mapping service for my needs as nicely packaged as Google Maps (And yes I did use Here Maps when I was on Windows Phone)

Barring the whole app thing, nice and frequent hardware updates always gets me looking.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Will probably switch back to my Lumia 650 next week after six months with Android. Still couldn't figure out why recently the mobile data usage has been tremendous though not much being used and mostly on wifi.😈

Doesn't help that it is exhibiting some lags and requiring more frequent reboot now.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
So despite being perfectly happy with android, you'd switch back to windows 10 mobile, despite your troubles with apps, if everyone in MS used one.

Its the burger joint app. Can't live without that. 😉
I'd like to see the analytics on Microsoft employees and what phones they're using too.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Its the burger joint app. Can't live without that. ������
I'd like to see the analytics on Microsoft employees and what phones they're using too.

I think that burger app is important as an example though. An android/iOS user simply generally doesn't need to worry about the fact that this single store they love to patronize has an app that gives them a benefit for their loyalty has an app and that app will work on their platform. This type of thing happens all the time every day. You may not need any apps or you may not care but someone out there cares and with Windows Phone you got a good chance it won't have an app. Companies invest in an app for their customers and if they can cover 99% of their customers with Android and iOS why invest money in Windows Phone (I am sorry "Windows Mobile)? They won't. They don't care about the future that maybe; or the fact that maybe in 20 years we won't even be using phones (or maybe we will)

That is in fact the app gap problem with Windows. Sure you got Snapchat and what not being an issue as well. But death by a thousand cuts in this case also hurts.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I think that burger app is important as an example though. An android/iOS user simply generally doesn't need to worry about the fact that this single store they love to patronize has an app that gives them a benefit for their loyalty has an app and that app will work on their platform. This type of thing happens all the time every day. You may not need any apps or you may not care but someone out there cares and with Windows Phone you got a good chance it won't have an app. Companies invest in an app for their customers and if they can cover 99% of their customers with Android and iOS why invest money in Windows Phone (I am sorry "Windows Mobile)? They won't. They don't care about the future that maybe; or the fact that maybe in 20 years we won't even be using phones (or maybe we will)

That is in fact the app gap problem with Windows. Sure you got Snapchat and what not being an issue as well. But death by a thousand cuts in this case also hurts.

I understand and was half joking. For those consumers who use these apps I get it, though I am not into the store loyalty programs because they are just there to benefit the store, not the consumer.
There is no way MS can focus on these types of consumer centric apps right now. They are focused on businesses, schools, and the future of mobile tech. Android and iPhone will continue to own the consumer market for the near future.

anurag_maurya

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft keeps innovating and tries to make something out of the box, like HoloLens; which is great and cool too. But that doesn't mean they should stop making common phone (candy bar design) like 950/950XL and concentrate on other medium/dimension devices.

What I mean is Microsoft aims to break the common candy bar design and make something new. Their aim is to create an ecosystem of connected devices which are future proof and the ones that do not exist in the market. Which is good. That is what they might be working on with surface phone. This is gonna take time as they are planning to make the tech be ahead of time, better than the best.

But they should continue making good spec candy bar smartphones along the surface phone development that will keep existing customers and might get in more.

I am a windows user and will always be.

Last edited:

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Where did I say I was perfectly happy with Android? Oh that's right, I didn't. Do you have anything substantive to say, or are you just limited to straw man arguments?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)