Will Windows Central survive the death of Windows Mobile?

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I came for the phones and stayed for the Microsoft news. I also own a Surface Book, Surface pro 1st gen, and myriad other laptops and gear. Used to own a band and band 2. Got a dial for Christmas. It's pretty apparent that I am a Microsoft fan, and while I am still gutting it out on a Nokia Icon that's over 3 years old at this point, I like everything else that Microsoft is up to.

That said, I am no longer coming to Windows Central for the latest Surface Phone rumor. I am coming to find out about new Microsoft gear and apps in the pipeline. My guess is my story is pretty similar to a lot of other folks here. This website has nothing to worry about. If it was only for fans of W10M, the lights would have been turned off a long time ago.

xreadmore

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I first came here originally because I was a Windows Mobile user (LG Optimus!) but stay because this site offers quality Microsoft articles! Not just news but tips, reviews, and features on games and apps! Technically a Surface is "mobile" so I don't think anything should change. I also think MS will find a way into the phone market again, one way or another. Personally I can't wait. My Samsung Android is running Arrow Launcher and I'd love for MS to offer a great Phone!

This site is often linked on reddit too. Especially r/xboxone. I think you are one of the respected sites for gaming news.

DON'T GO ANYWHERE PLEASE!

brau0303

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I would think the site will continue, To me the site has been evolving to more of a general "All things Windows" site and that seems to align with what Microsoft seems to be doing. I say "Stay the Course"

Cheers,
BR

Julian Barker

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
What's a Windows Phone? That sounds new. Is it made by Apple or Samsung?! lol. Just move into MSofts next release because WoA should have a 6 or 7 inch Cshell which will presumably be based on Windows Phone 10. Just move along the bus please. It's all good.

Shatznr

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I visit the site several times a day and its not for the win mobile news at this point. I have moved mobile platforms myself but I enjoy the overall microsoft related news.

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I only ask because a quick look at the comments statistics on articles reveals that they go through the roof on most Windows Mobile subjects but sometimes barely raise an eyebrow on other more general Microsoft matters. It shouldn't be forgotten that up until a couple of years ago this website was essentially devoted to Windows Phone and only started diversifying when they saw the writing on the wall. I suspect that most readers are still only here because they had a Windows Phone/Mobile phone at one time or another.
I came for windows phone, i will stay for windows, as long as Daniel Robino is here, he's my favorite editor at WC

tribexx

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
??

I'm confused. Windows Central should continue fine as I see it. It still covers Windows 10, Xbox and PC news. The only thing that I can see it helping with win10mobile users is "converting to" (android/ios) from windows phone for users like me. I went to a Motorola Android phone from a 950XL because it offered the closest experience to windows mobile with it's features.

BUT

I was not prepared for missing:

Live Tiles
Ease of setting up Email
Ease of pinning individual facebook pages to start
Ease of pinning individual contacts to start (and keeping track of their updates)
6tag (and it's dark theme)
Pinning 6tag people and subjects to start
Ease of pinning web pages to start
Missing the Carl Zeiss camera
Ease of adding people and info to contacts
Quick search button

Now I have about 20 apps to do the OOTB stuff that was available with M$.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It is true that not many other places will do the hard hitting pieces like "how to plug your printer in" and that has value. Not to me, but i'm sure to somebody.

ronhadas

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
i wish...

That you would stop saying that...
Mobile Windows is just transforming....
Like snakes, like butterflies, transforming to the next generation.
So stop killing something that isn't dead yet, and our childish hope with it.

Withheld

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Came here and stay here because it's my favorite one-stop-shop for everything Microsoft including mobile.

For fan sites, it's always preferred that content showcase their beloved brand and personally, I do appreciate objective journalism. The current trend however, seems a bit focused on ruffling feathers with the mobile crowd. It seems every 10 posts or so and would love to know site statistics and it's effect on other articles.

wyabcp

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I came here from crackberry, I will leave here for android central or crackberry, Mobile is king, win10 info isn't worth staying for.
Geeez I couldn't even leave a comment in the app, let's put this tired old format to bed. Shame on Ms, they don't have the bandwidth to cover, pc, console and Mobile, that much is clear

Azizelh

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
As someone who just got the Galaxy s8+ (from a lumia 950). I love it. There are some things that I miss from Wm, but to be honest, it's an upgrade in so many ways. Most things that were done with tiles can be done with widgets, and more. And everything just works like it's supposed and fast. I was intentionally handicapping myself with WM for too long.

However, the first thing I did when I got the phone was install everything Microsoft. Office, cortana , one note , one drive, arrow Launcher, Microsoft to-do, Outlook.

So I will be coming to know what Microsoft is doing with those services and what else they are bringing. Also, of course, I'll be coming for w10 news, Xbox, office, hololens , cloud, events like Build, etc news.

cybersaurusrex

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
People are passionate about their phones because it's a very personal device. It's hard to get excited about Azure.

The reality is that Microsoft is becoming more and more like IBM--a profitable company that consumers don't care about. The Microsoft many of us loved is dying.

Shuaibu Ahmed

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Windows Central should live on as it is, windows phone only died because MS was not serious about the phone business anyway, unlike the desktop and laptop arena MS never really paid attention to windows phone in anyway with the late updates, high license fee for windows phone OS and not paying attention to OEM and app developers.

Windows Phone is a great OS it had the stability of iOS and little customization of Android but MS didn't really focus on Windows Phone only when it was too late.

Shawn Garvey1

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
I've been lurking about here for months now and feel like I can finally chime in with a little Windows experience under my belt. After my last Windows experience with Windows 7, then years of being a Mac/iPhone/iPad user that then went to Android/Nexus/Chromebook and never thought I'd leave, I type this on my Surface Book with a 950 XL beside me. Windows has evolved into a really wonderful OS to use. Whether the OS on my Book or on the Lumia, I enjoy what Microsoft is doing and will continue to visit this site regardless of the future of their mobile plans. I'm probably getting my young boys an XBox for Christmas this year, so I'll be neck deep in those forums soon!

For what its worth, I can't for the life of me fathom Microsoft giving up on Mobile as a platform...it is simply too ingrained in the daily lives of people now. To totally drop it from the company's roadmap would be insane. Whether it is a new iteration of Windows, universal apps, new hardware or some combination of all of these, there simply has to be a future for Microsoft in this arena...don't you think? I'm putting faith in the minds of those who love to create new gadgets and the software that runs them to take their time and introduce something that will carry Microsoft into its own version of Mobile into the future. I know I'll be reading about that right here, so I'm staying. And while I wait, I'm SUPER happy with my Surface Book and my 950 XL. :)

wipeout2185

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I used to religiously go to Pocket Now for my WP news but since their last major website update last year they demoted WP to the others category and become a 2 OS site. I moved to Windows Central for my Windows Phone updates but I do enjoy reading all things Windows, Xbox, Services, Build etc so I do think the site has a place post Windows Mobile or what ever Microsoft evolves it into, Windows on ARM maybe? :)

NiteCourt

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I visited for the phone news. Then I visited for the forums. Then the forum layout changed. Now I don't visit much directly but scroll the Twitter or FB feed.

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
If windows phone tanks,I'll still watch windows central....still look forward to desktop/laptop and xbox stuff....plus I love watching the podcast with Daniel and Zac ....I still enjoy my 1520....and even if I get an Apple...I'll still have windows mobile

CronGM

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I discovered Windows Central when Windows Phone 7 came out, and it quickly became my go-to source for all Windows Phone news. Lately, as a result of a dearth for exciting news on the Mobile end, and looking into jumping ship with the Galaxy S8, I haven't been as active (or passionate about WP/W10M) as I was before. Nevertheless, I keep coming back to Windows Central for info and tips on Windows 10 (still my preferred PC OS). As for my gaming fix, I get it from other sites and Twitter (I'm a PlayStation guy, sorry Microsoft).

If I change my main phone in the coming months I guess I'll be a regular on sister-site Android Central, but I know I'll keep coming back to see what's new on the Windows front.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12