Will Windows Central survive the death of Windows Mobile?

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I hope so. I currently have 3 Windows Mobile devices, including my daily driver, all operational and in use. Where else can I go to get this kind of content? It's not that I'm unsympathetic to Windows Central's plight. WC is hanging fire like the rest of us while Microsoft dithers. And lets not kid ourselves, Microsoft itself is at risk, no matter how blithely they pretend to be unconcerned. It's not going to disappear from the face of the earth, but it will continue to hemorrhage users, subscribers, customers, so long as they continue their mobile ineptitude, their inability to close the gaping door that leads to Android, to Chrome, to Chromebooks, to Google Drive, Google Docs, to Gmail. . . . and to iOS, to. . . . . . you get the idea. Microsoft also needs to give people a reason to stay and for new people to at least poke their head in the door and look at their Mobile alternative.

So change is necessarily coming and given the stakes, it won't likely be a slow, whimpering death. There will be Code Blues and shouts of "Clear! Clear!" and many death throes and thrashings about. And the patient just might pull through! The one thing WC needs to do is to find a way to remain relevant without resorting to the sort of click-baiting headlines (like in the title to this thread). I'm not criticizing the OP, as WC's editors and contributors themselves have been running a series of similar articles for weeks now. It makes sense to discuss these issues here, of all places, and peppy cheer-leading will make matters worse. But there has to be a concerted effort to avoid turning WC into a virtual deathwatch. That tired meme is everywhere already anyway. Microsoft has to find a way forward on Mobile. I would love it if they would retain the best elements of W10M, the Live Tiles and Continuum. I don't like the alternatives so I wouldn't like it if they cast their lot with their rivals in the way that BlackBerry was forced to do with Android.

I am willing to run the risks yet again, provided Microsoft commits to investing in a viable future. I have an HP Elite x3 and am happy with it. Recently, there has been speculation that it might be "left behind" in the Windows 10 on Arm Mobile Future (or whatever today's elegant phrase is). I don't know about that, as I think there might be away to keep both alive. But I don't want to keep W10M stuck where it is even if it comes at a cost of having to upgrade again to the next iteration of devices. There will be plenty to talk about it the months ahead. I, for one, could do without having every thread and article bracketed by the throat-clearing reminder that Windows\Phone\Mobile has failed in the past. I. Get. That. Already.

Last edited:

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Bring on more MS services and apps (e.g. Arrow) :)

It's also nice to read about future devices (Hololens, natural UI, Wharton Brooks), although comments seem to have a habit of escalating into not knowing what is the name of MS CEO, not realizing that W10M is no more for ordinary customers, listing what MS has "promised and betrayed" during the years and finally into long (heated) hard-to-follow argument about all those making comments section 95% useless.
Hint for site developers: please add
  1. possibility to collapse comment threads (maybe go as far as techreport.com comments) and
  2. show mobile-like deeper thread structure in browser (mobile does it better with > >> >>> when indentation runs out).

Windows Central forum is a lot more sensible than Android Central forum - they are too device specific and fragmented. Also a reason to keep coming back.

Currently WC has XBOX and AC talks about PS. Nintendo gets love from nowhere?

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
If it was only for fans of W10M, the lights would have been turned off a long time ago.

Nah. Crackberry is still running. This site's not going anywhere.

Here's my issue with the whole thing: I think the windows phone situation has been handled badly by this site.

I feel like the people running this site have been scrambling to find the scapegoat that is worth the most clickbait. Whether it be Verizon, google, the readers, or Microsoft themselves, gotta find someone to blame and stir up the crowds, get out the torches and pitchforks, etc. What's resulted from this? Most threads on the blog seem to be nothing more than fans tearing each other apart. Wonderful job keeping the community together there...

The numbers are down on the phone side because Microsoft has pulled back to regroup. I think it's fair to say that for their vision of one OS for everything, fighting hard for 3rd place wasn't their cup of tea. After seeing the watch thing announced, I think it's clear Microsoft wants windows to be on whatever the OEM darn pleases... which is pretty interesting. The rumor mill implies they're working on a very ultramobile PC that might happen to have phone abilities... Which actually sounds pretty dang cool. Only a few weeks ago did it occur to me that I could walk customers through settings menus on their PC using my lumia 735. When did this happen? It feels like it almost snuck up on me.

And yet people are angry over a hypothetical "reboot" that hasn't happened and probably won't happen. Windows 10 on phones is quite simply windows 10. If they were going to "reboot" it, we wouldn't be getting so many new builds. They're not rebooting it, they're just getting started putting it all together. Will it succeed? Maybe it will maybe it won't. But I'm still excited to see what it is and will likely end up buying it. I might get an S8 too.... not because "OMG FAIL", but because it looks like a very sweet phone. :p

I guess I kinda feel like if previous versions of windows on a phone never existed and this windows 10 ARM thing was entirely new, that we'd all be looking toward whatever's coming in curious anticipation instead of having people making a show of leaving in a huff. But oh well, time machines don't exist. Personally, I think Microsoft could give google some grief by giving those cyanogenmod folks an "installable" version of windows 10 to play with.

Currently WC has XBOX and AC talks about PS. Nintendo gets love from nowhere?

I would welcome a Nintendo branch for mobilenations personally, but Nintendo made some hints a while back that wanted to get into both mobile phones AND PC.... And the latter hasn't reared its head yet. I think it's more likely that mobilenations doesn't really know what to do about Nintendo yet. That said, too many other Nintendo-related news blogs have gone too SJW for my taste and have spent the last few years trying to glean something political out of...everything. Aw, screw it, Mobilenations, when are you opening your Nintendo section? I'll take it, fan fights and all!

Michal Kovac

May 18, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I am here watching for mobile content. I am interested in positive news, e.g. which new app appeared in Windows Store, I don't remember when I last saw such an article, but new apps are being added often. Unfortunately, most of articles these days are about decline. One of the major reasons for decline is actually articles about decline. But don't read that as a blame it is just a fact, community is important, so if we want Windows 10 Mobile to live we need to find positives and write about them.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Even if MS end WM and I am forced to settle with a tablet and dumb phone combo I'll still need to come here for mobile news as I watch for their next mobile offering (Windows Holographic glasses the size of Google Glasses linked to my home server over 5G, please happen...). I bought an Android handset once (to move on from Windows Pocket PC + dumb phone combo). An HTC Wildfire. Not worth the money. Grabbed a L820 after and that was great, then the 930, now the 950XL. Can't afford to shift my entire ecosystem to Apple, so that's out. So, back to dumb phone only with a Windows tablet this time. Where else will I go to find out what the big finale of the retrenchment will be?

Mobile first, but that's going to need even more of an organised self-help community for Windows users when we have no smart phone in the mix. We'll need a mobile-centric site like this one all the more.

ZantReve

May 28, 2016
Visit site
I visit the Windows Central site for Microsoft that relates to Windows...Since I don't use a Windows phone, the content related to Desktop Windows is more useful to me. Though I don't mind reading articles about the Windows Phone, as I don't use the Mobile version...I like to know the state of it. I personally use Android as it's delightful and will be sticking around for a while yet, especially since I have the S8+ now. That phone is so pretty.

Last edited:

smallmountain

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been off Windows Phone for 9 months, having switched eventually to iPhone after trying and disliking Android. I still subscribe for the general Windows information. I did add a subscription to your iMore, but it never occurred to me to drop Windows Central. I mean, where else can I play the Zac Bowden drinking game?

sraina

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I will continue to visit windowscentral.com - The state of WM10 is pathetic but I still use my 950XL as my daily driver. Just got the Samsung S8+ but there are just some things that WM10 does best. I strongly feel that given the price of a premium mobile device hovering around $900 and the fact that the processing power is abundant for a non developer person, the world will move to a one device with continuum type support. Samsung is trying it with Dex. I have used Continuum with my 950XL for 2 weeks straight without using any other laptop/PC or Mac. Windows 10 on ARM is promising - let us see if there is going to be a future Surface device that will be classified as a smartphone as well. WM10 may go the RT route but that is fine as long as the mobile form factor support is provided on Satya Nadella's 'ultimate' device.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Who knows for sure? There could be a lot of changes in the next couple of years in regards to mobile devices. I'm betting Microsoft will be a player in some capacity for sure.

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I hope microsoft won't kill windows phone ever, but with this stupid CEO you never know. I will visit this site even this stupid CEO will do that.

And to you satya nadlla - I HATE YOU! I hope to see you one day and tell you this straight to your face!
Windows phone is something I don't see my self braking from, even in 10 years, but you just had to brake it all!
Again - I hate you!

OmegaPrime85

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
Never had a windows phone but I'm a heavy microsoft user (PC, Xbox and mobile apps).

Love what Microsoft is doing . I never actually came here because of windows mobile.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Isn't Windows Central so much more than JUST Windows Phone? It's the Surface Tablet, and other windows tablets, and windows computers, AND of course it's the XBox. Also Windows has its hands in things too such as VR or more correctly AR with the Hololens. And lets not forget the Microsoft is first and foremost a software company and they have more than JUST OS software. They produce THE best Office Suite for example, and they also produce server software. If Windows Phone were to go away there would be plenty left for Windows Central to cover!

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm here mostly for mobile/phone news, but surface stuff does interest me too. I must admit I used to read pretty much every article in the wp8/8.1 days but now I probably read one in seven articles.

Joscelin Trouwborst

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
The Windows Phone OS as we know it is now likely to be fazed out, but the past name change of the site wasn't for nothing. I expect a bright future for Windows again, especially on mobile. What Microsoft needs to do though is asure that traditional services and and apps work seamless and have a seamless and consistent user experience all over. Currently it is rather a mess.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and you will decide via the response I guess.

Microsoft has SO MUCH to offer, many products and services and a lot of untapped potential. Mobile is a small part and you knew this when you changed the name a while back. I would urge less regurgitated articles and less 'selling' but I guess you have to make money some way. How about this...

XBox/Scorpio dedicated site
Windows Business dedicated site
Windows Device's dedicated site (includes all Surface lines)

This will give people specific access to articles for tier needs, as it is its all a mish mash in one.

Elton Mbofana

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Whilst admittedly, i initially came to WC because of windows mobile, i will be still interested to visit the website if they report on Windows in general even Microsoft products! I am hooked.

Elton Mbofana

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey izik770, i feel your pain man. I sometime really wonder what goes in Satya's head? Has he really appreciated the beauty of WM? Or he just looks at the numbers and doesn't believe in this product!?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Hey izik770, i feel your pain man. I sometime really wonder what goes in Satya's head? Has he really appreciated the beauty of WM? Or he just looks at the numbers and doesn't believe in this product!?

I honestly think it comes down to the fact that the mobile phone world is firmly iOS and Android. Even the mighty Amazon failed, miserably, with the Fire Phone. Windows Phone really tried to get to 10% but just couldn't keep up. I don't think it has anything to do with the OS itself. I mean, I find iOS dreadfully dull but there are people who will NEVER let go of it.

anon(9803228)

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Probably I'm not the "representative" reader here, as I first found this site around early 2016, when I wanted to buy a 2-in-1 with Windows 10.
I never used a WM device as main phone (back in late 2k15 I got a L640 for free when renewed my contract, but after a few days I concluded that it was not my thing and sold the phone thereafter), but used to read WM articles out of curiosity.
As i follow various MS and Android sites regularly, disappearance of WM would not make a difference for me, will check the news here anyway.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
So is this them apologizing in advance for stopping writing about the platform, declaring it dead themselves, gauging interest or what? Personally I'm starting to get tired about the three of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss