The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-05-2017 10:11 AM
165 ... 4567
tools
    My Windows Phone is the 950XL, and its working fine. Not sure what this "death" is about. If we have to switch to Microsoft Android, I will switch when the time comes. If a new Windows Phone flagship comes out, I will buy it. As long as the back end is Microsoft, I dont really care. and yes, I will still come to Windows Central.

Microsoft B2B Wearable Could Replace Warehouse Tablets | Digital Trends
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-25-2017 02:40 AM
    I just love windows phones and Microsoft ..so I'd love to see you guys keep going (hoping that windows phones survive for some more time n Microsoft does come up strong with their mobile platform)
    04-25-2017 03:14 AM
    I had been visiting Windows Central (and couple of other related sites) daily for news and updated about Windows Mobile. I use to visit 2-3 times a day till few weeks back. Now I visit just once, or sometimes I visit these Windows Phone related sites after 2-3 days, as there is no major update or news (or mostly bad news like no Creator update for my Lumia 830).
    It was fun reading all those developments, issues and updates related to Windows Phone releases right from WP7.5, WP7.8, WP8, WP8.1 and latest W10M. But sad to say, now there is not much to read, and eventually I may stop visiting these website.
    (Irony is I came to this thread through Google News link where I have customised news section for Windows Phone/Mobile).
    04-25-2017 03:54 AM
    I came to Windows [Phone] Central, where most of the focus was just phones. Other things have peeked my interest such as the podcast and the Game Libations (free games!).

I'll still be venturing here to get my Windows or Microsoft fix. I still believe - a very small silver of hope - that Windows [fill-in-mobile-name-here] is something unknown. Maybe they're really keeping hush hush about it, and rather well, so well that we all can only assume mobile death at this point.

Hopefully Build or the device event will tell the tale.
    04-25-2017 05:06 AM
    I only ask because a quick look at the comments statistics on articles reveals that they go through the roof on most Windows Mobile subjects but sometimes barely raise an eyebrow on other more general Microsoft matters. It shouldn't be forgotten that up until a couple of years ago this website was essentially devoted to Windows Phone and only started diversifying when they saw the writing on the wall. I suspect that most readers are still only here because they had a Windows Phone/Mobile phone at one time or another.
    I visit your site daily to read Microsoft news. Currently I'm a little feed up with all the advices and such on how Microsoft should win the mobil market. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft them self is in the best position to know what is necessary.

Maybe we get som hints on the event next week. Or maybe at \\build. But in the meantime write about other things Microsoft is doing. They are doing so much so there should always be some tema to you can use.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    04-25-2017 05:36 AM
    I've never owned a windows 10 mobile in my life, and I'm here for the windows 10 discussion, and microsofts exciting vision of the future.

But I can't really extrapolate the number of people who are here specifically for that reason, versus those who are obvious here for desktop/tablet, other than that their appear to be both. I am not sure anyone can.

BTW Windows on arm, is not initially pitched as a smartphone OS. Its for cellular connected PCs foremost. Ie tablets, hybrids, laptops, desktops and servers with arm chips, LTE, low power consumption, calling, texting and hotspot facility. It will probably make its way to pocket devices at some point, but that's really not what MS is aiming for with the move.

I think some smartphone users get quite confused there. The point of the release is for things like

*capturing the tablet market, by positioning devices in the only two areas of growth a) windows devices b) budget devices. There are real business moats here with things like ink and stylus support, win32 apps

*capturing the cheap laptop market back from chromeOS, and getting windows into education. Likewise real moats- ink and stylus, touch support, upgradeability, win32 apps (and the fact that windows is the workhorse OS of the world)

*cellular connected server platforms, that utilise cellular technology in windows enterprise networks. There are probably a few really interesting applications of this, and I know MS has plans here.

Probably the closest thing anyone will see like a smartphone close to release is an eight inch tablet with a Bluetooth earpiece!

This is why they keep saying things like "mobile devices" "cellular pc" "mobile pc". They have no intention of rushing headlong into the smartphone marker space until they have a competitive business moat.

If smartphone users expect some immediate reboot of the mobile OS this year, I think they are dead wrong. That would be really poor business practice. That sort of move would only follow all the other moves MS has in place, when MS can be certain its phone platform has a truly competitive moat.
    Windows 10 on ARM is going to be from 6inch device onwards.
    04-25-2017 06:04 AM
    Yes, just focus on the reviews of Windows devices, products, and such. I despise the Winders phone (and don't know too many who do love it), but I really come here for the laptop, software, and game reviews and previews. When I am looking for new laptops, desktops, or hardware, this is the first place I come to, in hopes that there is already a review. The only problem is that I have too little $$$ and there are too many great PCs that I want!
    04-25-2017 06:37 AM
    You seem like a pretty upbeat guy. Maybe this whole "WM10 going away" thing will infuse some new, less cynical blood into the community...not a bad thing at all.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    04-25-2017 07:14 AM
    Most of us are glad your here. Good to hear that your happy with your surface & 950XL! So am I ;-) I came here for the Nokia/Lumia win-7 phone news and have stayed because of Dan and all the great writing/coverage of windows news by all the staff here. keep up the good work.
    04-25-2017 08:43 AM
    I don't have a Windows phone. I've got my Surface 4 Pro and the PC(s) I build myself... I came here for the MicroSoft goodness...and there's been some really good stuff for Windows 10!
    04-25-2017 09:00 AM
    I come here for the Windows Phone stuff. I'll still pop in occasionally for the general Windows news. You guys have been doing a good job covering all things Microsoft. I don't play video games, but the Xbox content will appeal to a lot of people as well.
    04-25-2017 09:07 AM
    During the switch from wpcentral.com, I mentioned you could repurpose this domain to home improvement with a focus on glass -- that seems to be about as compelling as Windows these days. Don't know if paintdrying.com is taken. If I were employed here, I would be scrambling to get on the android / iOS sites, but even phones are slowing down. Where are our brain implants already?
    04-25-2017 09:59 AM
    I've been a huge fan of Windows right back to W95. All my tech has been Windows. Both my phones have always been Windows.
    Now I feel that my needs aren't interesting enough to Windows to command any loyalty from them. A pity.
    My partner's phone is still 8.1 because it's familiar.
    My laptop is still W10 (those, bloody, bloody updates) although it will be replaced by Android and my PC will be retired.
    I question whether Windows will remain competitive outside of the business environment - business users find it very hard and costly to switch. UK Government agencies are still running archaic Windows versions and are getting overcharged for IT support, for example.
    I gather W Mobile has been more successful in S America but in Europe it's withering away. The restrictions on apps are hastening its demise. So it's a tearful farewell from me after nearly 30 years.
    04-25-2017 10:11 AM
    I visit mostly for W10M news.
    04-25-2017 10:20 AM
    Windows Central =/= windows phone central. Windows is a big bubble containing many form factors. If windows phone dies, we still have windows on every other form factor.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    04-25-2017 10:43 AM
    You did an interview to Donna Sarkar, and I think you didn´t give us all the information. Wich things the crew of WCentral knows that we don´t..?
    04-25-2017 10:46 AM
    I have never owned a Windows phone. I come here for info on other Microsoft products. I'm very interested in the Surface line. If they come out with a phone of some sorts then that would be a plus.

I don't come here to bash Google and Apple. I also visit Android Central, iMore, and CrackBerry. I keep an open mind when it comes to tech. I am typing this post on a Google Nexus 6 phone with a sideloaded BlackBerry Virtual Keyboard.

The three big players have something to contribute. Plus a quick browsing of the forums seem to show that the majority of discussions are not related to W10m.

This is just my opinion here. I think that Windows 10 mobile will be around in the future. Just not as Windows 10 mobile. Microsoft may also be having trouble integrating CShell and Continuim into Windows 10. Google seems to be having a similar issue trying to merge ChromeOS with Android. In fact on 10-15 years Windows may not look or act like the current Windows. To me these are exciting times and there seems to be major paradigm shifts headed out way. So maybe we shouldn't lament the possible death of W10m and celebrate the future of Windows or Surface mobile.

Windows Central has people that are in tune with the changes coming from Microsoft. I've read several posts from Jason speculating on the future of W10m so, I believe that Windows Central has a long and bright future to look forward to.
    Last edited by BrianEmbry; 04-25-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    04-25-2017 11:12 AM
    Half the reason I still visit this site is because it was *THE* website for Windows Phone news back in the day. Back when I had my Samsung Focus I'd review this sites news feed probably once a day. Updates were exciting, I kept my eyes glued for the Xbox Live Arcade game of the week (still remember playing that Fable shuffleboard game and being severely let down by Tentacles, which was exclusive at the time). Windows Central still holds some fondness in my heart for those early days and I think it still does for others.

I'm sure they'll survive based on reporting alone. I may not be as active here as I used to be but it's still the best place I've seemed to find for ANY Windows content. Not just the Phone parts. Branching out heavily from Windows Phone was the right step IMO. It certainly brought me back. I lost interest in the site after abandoning the WP platform (though not my interest in it). The expanded focus brought me back. We even bought my wife a Surface Book to replace her Macbook and she loves it. That's not something I'm sure I'd have done without the coverage here.

Windows Phone is a big forum pusher because people love to discuss the nature of the platform and it's seemingly unavoidable obsolescence. Passion ignites many forums and, good or bad, you'll find that the platform still ignites sparks here and there for various reasons. Windows itself simply isn't as exciting as the phone platforms are these days so of course there would be less need for discussion in that area. That doesn't mean Windows Central would die IMO. It just means things here will eventually change... Which they always do in time.
    04-25-2017 03:08 PM
    Windows 10 Mobile may die but mobile Windows 10 will exist for a very long time yet. It does not matter if Windows Phone or Windows Mobile become victims of history because Windows 10 in some form will still exist on mobile hardware and no doubt will have a phone app for those that are not on Skype yet. So my vote is to keep this forum open as it has a lot more interesting content than most others. The only real question is whether you limit yourselves to mobile hardware or expand to encompass all Windows 10 devices of interest.
    TgeekB and Drael646464 like this.
    04-25-2017 05:56 PM
    I like this site, the writers are quite good and cover a lot of interesting topics. The weekly podcast is excellent as well.

I think the phone news is the biggest one though, as a lot of the other segments tend to have a lot of 'noise' and aren't as interesting. I certainly do like to keep up with windows on PC news, and updates, new MS hardware.

One thing mobile nations could do is offer a combined website which included articles from all their sites. In general I like to keep up to date with tech, more content isn't a problem to sift through, I don't read every article, but do like to keep informed about android and iphone/apple news as well.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-25-2017 06:42 PM
    I freely admit, I pretty much only come here for Windows phone content. Sometimes I engage the other MS content, but that's not my primary draw. In fact, there are only five sites I have regularly followed, and I'm about to drop two of them: WindowsCentral, MSPowerUser, NeoWin, Thurrott and OnMSFT. I'm just about done with OnMSFT and Thurrott, sad to say.
    I've been done with Thurrott for a while. Constantly negative and may I say overly arrogant. One of my favorite sites was Surface Geeks. But they changed everything up and now I'm not joining them either
    04-25-2017 07:56 PM
    I've been a huge fan of Windows right back to W95. All my tech has been Windows. Both my phones have always been Windows.
    Now I feel that my needs aren't interesting enough to Windows to command any loyalty from them. A pity.
    My partner's phone is still 8.1 because it's familiar.
    My laptop is still W10 (those, bloody, bloody updates) although it will be replaced by Android and my PC will be retired.
    I question whether Windows will remain competitive outside of the business environment - business users find it very hard and costly to switch. UK Government agencies are still running archaic Windows versions and are getting overcharged for IT support, for example.
    I gather W Mobile has been more successful in S America but in Europe it's withering away. The restrictions on apps are hastening its demise. So it's a tearful farewell from me after nearly 30 years.
    You're going to find android pretty limiting and boring after awhile, if you are used to windows. There's loads of apps, but they are mostly simple/low quality. Nothing like the depth or power of windows software. I suppose if you just use your devices for email, browsing, films, you might be alright. But even for something like media collection software, or browsing (extensions, html5), you find things running functionally short. Multi-tasking. Lots of every day tasks.
    Its strengths really lie in mobile applications focus on GPS, like finding a toilet, or ordering a cab, or messenging. Otherwise ios, android are pretty "lite", suited more for very casual use.
    04-25-2017 10:48 PM
    Windows 10 Mobile may die but mobile Windows 10 will exist for a very long time yet. It does not matter if Windows Phone or Windows Mobile become victims of history because Windows 10 in some form will still exist on mobile hardware and no doubt will have a phone app for those that are not on Skype yet. So my vote is to keep this forum open as it has a lot more interesting content than most others. The only real question is whether you limit yourselves to mobile hardware or expand to encompass all Windows 10 devices of interest.
    Current creators update has a phone app. So that's true right now, and if anyone had full phone LTE in their windows 10 device, they could probably make a call at this very moment.

Which probably makes someone's tablet a windows phone.
    nate0 likes this.
    04-25-2017 10:55 PM
    You're going to find android pretty limiting and boring after awhile, if you are used to windows. There's loads of apps, but they are mostly simple/low quality. Nothing like the depth or power of windows software. I suppose if you just use your devices for email, browsing, films, you might be alright. But even for something like media collection software, or browsing (extensions, html5), you find things running functionally short. Multi-tasking. Lots of every day tasks.
    Its strengths really lie in mobile applications focus on GPS, like finding a toilet, or ordering a cab, or messenging. Otherwise ios, android are pretty "lite", suited more for very casual use.
    Unfortunately I had the opposite experience. I found many of the Windows 10 Mobile apps to be limited and low quality compared to their Android counterparts.
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    04-25-2017 10:59 PM
    Unfortunately I had the opposite experience. I found many of the Windows 10 Mobile apps to be limited and low quality compared to their Android counterparts.
    No no, he said he was ditching his desktop and replacing everything with just an android device.

Once you get to tablet/desktop windows 10, android is pretty limited by comparison outside of mobile focused apps (like say, finding an atm or something).

Everyday stuff too, like lack of multi-taking, lack of real-time processing, the depth of common software, media organisers, lack of html5 and extensions in browsing. Not just power software and games.

I'm sure it might suit some people fine, but some one who has used exclusively windows devices for years will probably find it a fair bit limited after the honeymoon wears off.
    04-26-2017 12:52 AM
165 ... 4567