05-05-2017 09:16 PM
99 1234
tools
    @BOSDown @ira0523 it's actually a good time now to get a decent phone for the price, 950XL or Alcatel Idol 4S. I'm only hesitant to mention the HP Elite X3 because of the price and wouldn't want you guys to put in too much money and then be mad :)

I feel you kinda have to dive in to really know what you want from it.

For me it's the one windows, any device philosophy that's taken a long time to get towards but really getting there with the the help of onedrive. Photos, I can see them on all my devices because of onedrive integration.

Apps that are UWP and programmed right, actionable items like messages... a message comes in, pops up on my 950XL, on my surface pro 3, on my work issued lenovo, and whatever device happens to be convenient, I reply on it. Skype calls comes in, everything is ringing begging to be answered on them :)

Turn on my insider ring phone and all the notifications pop up on there too so that's a bit annoying if I've already dealt with it but they'll get that sorted with onedrive integration of notifications of some sort.

Hard to really know how you will use it until you actually get one and use it.

Microsoft doesn't really care that much about windows for specific devices, they definitely want to just say it's windows and it's everywhere and it's the same. IoT, phones, mobility devices, tablets, laptops, desktops, servers.....

You've already had lots of time with android and ios so it's probably time for you to give windows an honest shot so you can form your opinion.
    Drael646464 and libra89 like this.
    04-26-2017 11:25 PM
    Thank you all for your replies, I just placed an order for 950xl, was going to go x3 but it was hard to justify the much higher price for it. I cant wait for it to make it home so I can start to experimenting with it. My idea was to join and integrate with ms ecosystem now, so when the next big step happens I am ready and then will gladdly invest into a flagship.

I will keep you posted !

Regards
    B.O.S
    04-27-2017 01:06 AM
    @BOSDown
    Good luck and thank you for joining on as a member :)
    04-27-2017 01:29 AM
    Without the concern of the "App Gap" than I see no reason to be on anything else. I am using an Iphone because I need a lot of the apps, but Windows 10 is a beautiful OS and smooth as silk. I would also recommend not going with a cheap phone. Go for the HP Elite X3.. Good luck
    04-27-2017 07:25 AM
    Hmm. It's very tricky to recommend a platform where app support is dwindling and even Microsoft only officially support a small handful of phones.

Windows Phones are great but amongst fans there's a reluctance to buy new W10M devices. I'd wait to see if Microsoft actually sees a future in the platform, because there's very few signs that they do. At best they probably will ditch W10M and bring out a successor, leaving current phones in the dust.
    04-27-2017 08:37 AM
    Hmm. It's very tricky to recommend a platform where app support is dwindling and even Microsoft only officially support a small handful of phones.

Windows Phones are great but amongst fans there's a reluctance to buy new W10M devices. I'd wait to see if Microsoft actually sees a future in the platform, because there's very few signs that they do. At best they probably will ditch W10M and bring out a successor, leaving current phones in the dust.
    He already brought a phone, and he also said apps weren't a concern.

Officially supporting stuff - you don't get more support in ios or android. You get less updates.

He was warned that in two years in might be replaced with a new OS.

I'm thinking about getting a cheap phone to play around with actually. Maybe a 550. But only if Cortana bot intergration comes to win 10 mobile. Well have to see how may goes.
    04-27-2017 08:58 AM

Officially supporting stuff - you don't get more support in ios or android. You get less updates.

He was warned that in two years in might be replaced with a new OS.

I'm thinking about getting a cheap phone to play around with actually. Maybe a 550. But only if Cortana bot intergration comes to win 10 mobile. Well have to see how may goes.
    If you go that route, I suggest the 650 if you can find one. The 550 is a nice phone but I have noticed that some apps crash more on that phone only and they don't really do that on the 650.
    04-27-2017 09:10 AM
    If you go that route, I suggest the 650 if you can find one. The 550 is a nice phone but I have noticed that some apps crash more on that phone only and they don't really do that on the 650.
    You can get refurbished anything on aliexpress.

You can get original nokia 3310s lol.

Looking at the differences. More rom, that's probably pretty handy. Looks a bit nicer. Same camera-ish.

Battery about the same. CPU slightly better. And its also on the creators update list (which would help if I intend to use it for the soon to be updated Cortana)

That seems like a reasonable recommend.

We'll have to see how build and may 6 go. If win 10 mobile gets the bots and skills, I think that would be a really interesting platform to play with it on - given the extra potential of the location/social centric stuff. Not that there will be much to start with, given it'll all be alexa skills and skype bots to start.

Still bound to be a lot of fun, and I really want to get away from screen tapping and swyping when out and about...
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-27-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    04-27-2017 09:18 AM
    You can get refurbished anything on aliexpress.

You can get original nokia 3310s lol.

Looking at the differences. More rom, that's probably pretty handy. Looks a bit nicer. Same camera-ish.

Battery about the same. CPU slightly better. And its also on the creators update list (which would help if I intend to use it for the soon to be updated Cortana)

That seems like a reasonable recommend.

We'll have to see how build and may 6 go. If win 10 mobile gets the bots and skills, I think that would be a really interesting platform to play with it on - given the extra potential of the location/social centric stuff. Not that there will be much to start with, given it'll all be alexa skills and skype bots to start.

Still bound to be a lot of fun, and I really want to get away from screen tapping and swyping when out and about...
    As someone who has owned both, I can say that it is a disservice to count the cameras as the same. They aren't. In low light, the difference between both cameras (front and back) is night and day.

Sounds like a good plan, good luck with it.
    fatclue_98 and aximtreo like this.
    04-27-2017 09:38 AM
    Good morning guys, I need help!I just checked my amazon and my 950xl wnt ship till tomorrow so I have time to cancel still, I also just noticed it's the international version! Is that a problem any issues? The big question is though if I should cancel the Nokia and go HP x3? Is the 820 chip that much better than the 810?
    04-27-2017 10:25 AM
    If you go that route, I suggest the 650 if you can find one...
    @Drael46464 I agree with this completely. Brand new they've hit 99$USD on sale.

I've tried keeping an eye out for it to be cheap enough canada $$ wise from microsoft but missed the boat now :(
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    04-27-2017 10:36 AM
    Good morning guys, I need help!I just checked my amazon and my 950xl wnt ship till tomorrow so I have time to cancel still, I also just noticed it's the international version! Is that a problem any issues? The big question is though if I should cancel the Nokia and go HP x3? Is the 820 chip that much better than the 810?
    I would do Alcatel Idol 4S only because of $$$... I just didn't want you to hate that you spent so much $$$. But if it doesn't matter to you, the Elite X3 is so far the better supported phone by the manufacturer and I would recommend because of the much better battery life that I've heard about. Performance is nice but I think it's the battery life that will give a nice impression over the 950XL.

As for the international version, check the LTE bands versus the LTE bands you need for the carrier you will use.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    04-27-2017 12:49 PM
    The thing about the apps though, we aren't just talking stuff like Pokémon Go. But basic apps like Facebook, Telegram, WhatsApp, don't have a certain future on Windows. At any given time they could snap their fingers and say "That's it, app's getting removed and won't work anymore" and that's that. And unless you're so committed to 'Apps don't matter' that you can live in the browser, you're a bit stuck.
    04-27-2017 01:56 PM
    I say jump in! I love my 1520 and it runs the CU beautifully!!
    aximtreo and Captain_Eric like this.
    04-27-2017 01:56 PM
    The thing about the apps though, we aren't just talking stuff like Pokémon Go. But basic apps like Facebook, Telegram, WhatsApp, don't have a certain future on Windows. At any given time they could snap their fingers and say "That's it, app's getting removed and won't work anymore" and that's that. And unless you're so committed to 'Apps don't matter' that you can live in the browser, you're a bit stuck.
    He, like me, doesn't care. Why is it some people don't believe us?

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    04-27-2017 03:18 PM

I was thinking the same thing!
    TgeekB, aximtreo and Captain_Eric like this.
    04-27-2017 03:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing!
    I'm guessing that those people think you might be in denial. That's more than likely their thought process. Honestly, everyone is different so that's not even fair to assume.
    TgeekB and Guytronic like this.
    04-27-2017 03:36 PM
    I'm guessing that those people think you might be in denial. That's more than likely their thought process. Honestly, everyone is different so that's not even fair to assume.
    Most people live in their little world and assume the other 7.4 billion people on the planet are just like them.

libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    04-27-2017 03:40 PM

If Facebook is considered an essential app then that's all you need to know.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    libra89, TgeekB, aximtreo and 1 others like this.
    04-27-2017 03:43 PM
    If Facebook is considered an essential app then that's all you need to know.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    Fair point but for a good amount of people using smartphones, it is. There was a list of apps shared recently that people download the most in the world, and the Facebook apps are king. List of Top 10 downloaded apps in Q1 shows our supercharged smartphones are basically Facebook machines

The Windows store isn't included as part of the data but the data is there.
    Guytronic and fatclue_98 like this.
    04-27-2017 03:48 PM
    I'm still in this thread, you know. A pity I've been demoted to 'some people' when I'm still a committed Lumia 950 user who's never touched iOS or Android.

All I'm doing is making an important point known that needs to be considered before switching, if not for the OP then for others who are reading and considering their options. No need to be rude.
    04-27-2017 04:40 PM
    Fair point but for a good amount of people using smartphones, it is. There was a list of apps shared recently that people download the most in the world, and the Facebook apps are king. List of Top 10 downloaded apps in Q1 shows our supercharged smartphones are basically Facebook machines

Yup, a lot of peoples lives revolve around Facebook. No doubt about it. Its a data-collecting machine and is very successful. I don't get it but that doesn't mean other people don't enjoy it.

libra89 likes this.
    04-27-2017 04:46 PM

I don't doubt Facebook is the most used app and it makes perfect sense. Android and iOS are 97% of the pie and their users are mostly content consumers. Windows has always lagged far behind when it comes to social media apps which correlates with its market share. The mass adoption of BYOD essentially killed BlackBerry and Windows because users wanted their "fun" apps to reside with their Outlook and Office apps. Microsoft, no dummies, seized the opportunity and developed apps for Android and iOS to stay in the game.

You can make any excuses for the fall of these OSes but when you consider they were the Android and iOS of the mid-2000s, you only have to look at BYOD as the first shot fired.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-27-2017 04:47 PM
    I'm still in this thread, you know. A pity I've been demoted to 'some people' when I'm still a committed Lumia 950 user who's never touched iOS or Android.

All I'm doing is making an important point known that needs to be considered before switching, if not for the OP then for others who are reading and considering their options. No need to be rude.
    I don't think we were trying to rude, but I apologize if we were. Its just the OP specifically pointed out he didn't care about the app gap. Any time someone shows an interest in WP, people have to jump in and mention apps. We get a little jumpy back sometimes. 😉

04-27-2017 04:48 PM
    Please all...
    Let's stay on point and help the OP with the choice he is trying make.

OP I believe it's best to not opt for the "International" unwarranted version if you can cancel that it will give you time to find something that you can work with.

libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    04-27-2017 05:10 PM
99 1234