Coming to the platform? Thinking of buying a windows phone? Comment here.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Coming to windows 10 mobile? Considering it? Switching from iOS or Android?

Also I'll be coming to windows 10 mobile myself soon. Still paying off bills, lol. I'll probably just get a 650. Unless cshell wows my socks of and I absolutely have to get continuum :p Which its quite possible it might, provided its demo'd before I end up buying.

That or the alcatel 4s goes unlocked. Because I like the idea of good loud clear speakers for Cortana when she gets her upgrapdes. Portable smart home yo!

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
What are you using now? Why are you moving to W10M? I have seen you commenting on so many threads I just assumed you were already a W10M user.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
What are you using now? Why are you moving to W10M? I have seen you commenting on so many threads I just assumed you were already a W10M user.

Currently, lol bb10. I'm a Windows 10 user on tablet and desktop, and I've owned a lot of android devices too in the past.

DrChucky

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Currently, lol bb10. I'm a Windows 10 user on tablet and desktop, and I've owned a lot of android devices too in the past.

Nice! The L650 is a good place to start, but even the L830 might be better given the Pureview camera and design. Specs are very similar to the L650 and you can usually find some great deals on them on eBay or in the WC Marketplace.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Nice! The L650 is a good place to start, but even the L830 might be better given the Pureview camera and design. Specs are very similar to the L650 and you can usually find some great deals on them on eBay or in the WC Marketplace.

If I was going to go for a win 8/8.1 phone I'd probably go with a 930. But I don't really want to do that, because upgraded OS revisions on mobile devices can cause instability.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I have the 650, it's low spec hardware wise but runs really well, edge loads fine most of the time, the camera is good and rapid, there is virtually no lag on the os. For a into the system device if you are waiting for new hardware this one is a good choice. Runs creators update officially as welll so still supported.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend looking for a good deal on a 950 (there is one in the classifieds now). It really makes a difference in the speed at which things load, and how the system performs. Also the camera is a huge step above the 650. Its a shame that specs matter more now on W10M, that wasn't really the case on WP8/8.1, everything just worked back then, almost the same from phone to phone.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I would recommend looking for a good deal on a 950 (there is one in the classifieds now). It really makes a difference in the speed at which things load, and how the system performs. Also the camera is a huge step above the 650. Its a shame that specs matter more now on W10M, that wasn't really the case on WP8/8.1, everything just worked back then, almost the same from phone to phone.

I'm considering a 4s too, by price point though 950 is similar. Pity there ain't more inbetween as I do want 2gbs ideally.

That or some radical reg settings optimisation. Which I think you could so with the 650.

Camera is an attractive point, but so is speaker/sound quality. I'd use both, specially with Cortana skills api. Photos I take all the time. And if Cortana skills takes off, I'd use that preferentially over touch.

Also F spending money, lol. Give me it all for free!

Torn!

NYCMetsPDX

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
One voice here for the Alcatel Idol 4s. My wife picked one up when it was $288 and it's absolutely fantastic (Even at a higher price point). Superb build quality and really snappy. The camera isn't as nice as my 950XL but it holds its own. If you're testing the WM10 waters a 650 is certainly a solid choice but I've read your posts on this forum...you know you want to try Continuum!

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You need snapdragon 820 to really give continuum a fair shot I think. My 950xl is ok, but playing with it a bit on the X3 is noticeable. The 950 is slower!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
One voice here for the Alcatel Idol 4s. My wife picked one up when it was $288 and it's absolutely fantastic (Even at a higher price point). Superb build quality and really snappy. The camera isn't as nice as my 950XL but it holds its own. If you're testing the WM10 waters a 650 is certainly a solid choice but I've read your posts on this forum...you know you want to try Continuum!

I kinda hate that you ae right, because it means more money :p But you are, I do. Lucky they come unlocked now.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Okay so it turns out the frequencies used on the 4s, are not the ones we use here.

I'm usually looking for 850/1800 for 2g, 1800/850/2100 for 3g, and 1800+ for 4g. (Two providers)

The other provider has 1800/2100 for 3g, and 700 for 4g.

So this phone would only work in 4g for that specific provider, and 2g for the other two, lol. hahaha.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Hmm something that suddenly occurred to me is toughness.

I've been using a virtually indesctructible phone with a plastic screen. Its been a long time since I've had drop anxiety. I'd rather not.

Is there anything reasonably decent spec'd, completely ignoring looks, that is both tough and runs windows 10 nice and stable? I'd probably liquid glass what it is too, to be safe. Want a phone that can be reliably dropped on concrete road verge, like, ideally.

(My q5 had hit concrete edges directly on the screen, with no concerns other than replacing the protector. That's been such a nice thing for me, versus how most people need to freak out, I don't think I'd want to give that up. In fact I'd rather buy something cheap and merely replace if I'd have to fuss over it)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I've been using a virtually indesctructible phone with a plastic screen. Its been a long time since I've had drop anxiety. I'd rather not.

Is there anything reasonably decent spec'd, completely ignoring looks, that is both tough and runs windows 10 nice and stable? I'd probably liquid glass what it is too, to be safe. Want a phone that can be reliably dropped on concrete road verge, like, ideally.

(My q5 had hit concrete edges directly on the screen, with no concerns other than replacing the protector. That's been such a nice thing for me, versus how most people need to freak out, I don't think I'd want to give that up. In fact I'd rather buy something cheap and merely replace if I'd have to fuss over it)

The Hp Elite x3 has a toughness rating if I'm not mistaken.

NYCMetsPDX

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site

Totally understand. I loved my old Lumia 521 because that thing was an indestructible beast. I can't say the same for the 950xl, I'd be worried the glass would break. In that case I'd probably go with a 650, great phone that can be had for a reasonable price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers