What happened to Mozo covers?

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I dropped my 950 one too many times and the chrome-ish band on my brown leather Mozo cover was cracked, so I ordered a new one.

It's not the same at all. My original felt & looked like a premium leather, this seems like pleather and it's not even the same color - much lighter. There's even a noticeable difference in the stitching.

I feel like I got ripped off or even got a counterfeit product, but I order straight from Mozo.

Shame on them for obviously lower the build quality. I won't be making another purchase from them... although the leather folio case for my SP3 will be here tomorrow :|

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue. The new ones are not the same as the old ones. The leather feels fake, and the silver finish rubs off in a few days. Mine started rubbing off in the corners after about 2 days, and now it is rubbing off on the sides as well after about a month.

I did bring it up to them, and they offered to ship a different cover as a replacement (I got the zebra wood one, but haven't installed it yet). They never commented on changes to the production process, but there clearly is something different.

I have been looking on ebay and the classifieds here looking for a used one that is of the old design. No luck yet. The brown/silver cover is the one that looks the best to me, hands down, but I'm afraid I might have to move on to something else. It seems that now that Mozo has branched out to iphone covers they are letting the quality slip.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I ordered a black leather cover and had a problem with it in 3 weeks so I contacted them. They told me to send a picture and my order # and they would send me a new 1. That was a month ago. I have not received anything and they have not responded to any emails I have sent them since. I was actually ready to order a 2nd one but not anymore. I am done with them.

DrChucky

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
From my experience, the build quality is definitely different for the 950XL Cognac covers. I originally ordered one in December 2015 right after they were released (phone and covers). I recently purchased another one from the Microsoft store and the first thing I notice was the difference in the "Cognac" color, which seems to be more brown than my prior one. Not exactly a deal breaker, but the previous cover was more of a reddish brown.

One improvement that I did notice is that the stitching is much better on this newer one. The first production run used to have a defect in the area right above the USB port.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I recently purchased another one from the Microsoft store and the first thing I notice was the difference in the "Cognac" color, which seems to be more brown than my prior one. Not exactly a deal breaker, but the previous cover was more of a reddish brown.

That's inherent in the material though right? If it's real leather, it's not going to be a perfect match each time

Last edited:

DrChucky

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
That's inherent in the material though right? If it's real letter, it's not going to be a perfect match each time

Of course variation in the grain of leather is normal. However, in the case of the Cognac 950XL covers, they have obviously used a different dye. It is not a night and day difference, but is noticeable to those who have seen these covers from earlier production lots.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The newer covers also have more of a shiny look to the leather (again only have had cognac so I can't comment on others). Makes is feel and look fake.

Just bought a used one on ebay, which I think is the older style. Hopefully I can do a side by side comparison soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss