Is it a 650 or 950XL

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I was looking for a MS L650 for parts on a website the other day and came across something very interesting,it was listed as a L650 but upon further review of the pics I'm almost 100% positive that it's a L950XL,well needless to say I talked em down to like $20,it works but it needs a digitizer,so I bought it,I haven't gotten it yet,it's in transit now,I took some screen shots of it,is there any way I can put those on here and get a second opinion? It doesn't have the metal band around it,it has a power button and a volume up and down button on the top and bottom of the power button,also it has a dedicated camera button,none of these things are on the 650,I have one so I'm positive of that,I think I have purchased a 950XL for a little bit of nothing,that's if it isn't locked or reset protection on it,anyway,what do you think?!!

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Definitely sounds like the 950xl as it's the only only phone that has that button set up. What a bargain if you can bring it back to life!

If you remove the battery cover there should be a little information sticker in the bottom left corner next to the micro sd slot etc. On there will be an RM number which is a model code for the phone. RM-1116 or RM-1085 are 950xl depending on single or dual sim

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Oh yeah,I'm using the 950 right now and am fixing a 650 and seen this,the band around the 650's is very distinguishable and that was the first thing I noticed,that I couldn't see one so I clicked on the pic and zoomed in on all of the pics provided,like 6-7,and I am 99.9999% positive it's a xl,I even asked him if that was the exact one id be getting and he said it was,I should have it by Thursday or Friday,believe me,if it's a xl I'm gonna let ppl know,and I found a used replacement digitizer from $49.99-89.99 and up on Amazon,they said they were an 8 on the 1-10 scale,so I'm praying to the phone gods everything falls in my favor

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Well,if what I seen in the pic is what I'm getting,then yeah,idk if it's locked or not and it needs a digitizer but I'm pretty sure that's what it is

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was looking for a MS L650 for parts on a website the other day...

Was the site eBay?

Then it's 50/50. Either they don't know what they have or they just reused some stock photos.

Few people on eBay seem to actually know how to list anything correctly any more.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Thanks,I should receive it tomorrow,I asked the ppl selling it if I would be getting that exact phone and they said yes so well see tomorrow,ill definitely let ya know,I hope its the XL,but I'm not counting on it

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Well ladies and gentlemen I got it today and low and behold it's a 950XL,WOW,I'm blown away,all it needs is the digitizer replaced,as far as I know anyway,I'm just amazed that I got it that cheap,unbelievable

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
It's doing the same thing my 950 did when I had to replace the digitizer in it,it's vibrating and making all the sounds and taking pictures so it needs a new digitizer,sweeeet!!!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Score!!!

Congrats.

th

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Well I got it fixed today but it has a password on it,anyone know how to get around that,any help would be greatly appreciated,I would even compensate someone who can help me or do it,thanks in advance

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well I got it fixed today but it has a password on it,anyone know how to get around that,any help would be greatly appreciated,I would even compensate someone who can help me or do it,thanks in advance

Meaning the person didn't hard reset the phone before giving it to you? Well - the only thing you can really do in that situation is hard reset it yourself. And seeing that you can't get into the settings to do that - you must do a hard reset via hardware buttons instead. This will erase all data on the device and reset it to factory settings. So after doing it, you'll be resetting the phone as fresh and you'll probably need to install updates.

So I think this is what you do:

1.) Make sure the device is fully charged.
2.) While your phone is completely shut off, hold down both the power button and the volume down button. (if your phone turns on, you need to repeat this process). This combo should be held for approximately 10 to 15 seconds until a vibration is felt.
3.) After the vibration is felt, release the power button and keep holding the volume down button. You should now see an exclamation mark on your screen.
4.) Now press the following key combinations: Volume up, Volume Down, Power Button, Volume Down.

That should reset the device to factory settings.

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I thought of that,but the other day I did that with another phone and it showed the reset protection key thing after it turned back on after reset,the same thing will happen here wont it?

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
It also has some of his last incoming emails in the notification thing,I have a name but it's all incoming email so I don't have his email,is their a way to get his email address possibly?

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Just hope you don't email him and he tells you it was lost or stolen. I still find it a little strange he never even knew what phone he had. Could be perfectly legitimate but just be careful.

Is it not possible to reset using WDRT on a pc if a hard reset fails?

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just hope you don't email him and he tells you it was lost or stolen. I still find it a little strange he never even knew what phone he had. Could be perfectly legitimate but just be careful.

Is it not possible to reset using rhe WDRT on a pc if a hard reset fails?

Yeah - i'm beginning to think that you bought a stolen phone. Sorry, OP.

For future reference: When buying a phone online, always ask the seller for the IMEI, and enter it here to verify that the device is clean and hasn't been reported stolen: https://swappa.com/esn?ref=mobilenations&data1=UUwpUvbUpU3662128

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786