MS on Android & IoS Good for Windows Mobile

MLXVI

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Just an idea, but I think one of the reasons Microsoft may be pushing Microsoft services on android and IoS is so that they can easier steal those customers in the future.

One of the biggest reasons why Windows on mobile never became popular is that people were already integrated with their android or IoS ecosystems. The were too dependent on Google services such as Google Drive or Google Maps, they needed their iCloud and were happy with all their notes being in the IoS native notes app. Moving to a new system is a huge inconvenience when you can't access the services you're used to.

But what if you're already using OneNote, OneDrive, Outlook and Groove music? How much easier would it be move to a Microsoft mobile then? You could just switch on, log on, and have all your services there at hand.

I said in another thread that it is pretty much common sense that one of the largest tech companies in the world worth $340 billion will want ground in arguably the most important tech market in the world, the mobile phone market. This was in response to a thread that Microsoft have seemed to confirm the surface phone. Implied more than confirmed. But I think we can guarantee Microsoft will re-enter the mobile telephone market at some point.

Get IoS and android users integrated with Microsoft services seems like the ideal way to bring them over to your own platform later on.

Just an idea.

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I think pulling out users from an OS they are heavily immersed to is kind of risky. This idea is interesting. But im not so confident about it. That could work if while MS is establishing good grounds on other OS, it countinue to strenghten its own platform. No matter how people are dependent on MS apps, if MS own mobile platform does not stand up well against other OS, people wont shift. Theyd rather stay in other OS where there are also stable MS apps than shift to a platform which doesnt look primarily supported by its very own company. That's my opinion though. Well i dont really know what they plans are. I just want to say that I am really looking forward to Fluent Designs on Mobile and i hope Microsoft will not disappoint me

MLXVI

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
I see what you're saying. If we look at the Surface brand, especially the new Surface Laptop, those devices are there not as alternatives but to compete directly with other manufacturers. The surface laptop is a direct challenge to the MacBook. What I'm imagining is MS doing in the mobile market what they've done with the Surface brand, and that is creating beautiful, high end hardware.

Previous iterations of Windows mobile have, quite frankly, been poor in design. I like my 950 XL but the plastic backing is doing nothing for me. It feels cheap. The next MS mobile will hopefully come from the Surface team as they've shown they're more than capable of creating great hardware that people want.

If a surface phone is released people will be far more likely to purchase it if they're already integrated with Microsoft services. You are right though in that MS needs to keep developing the platform. I think part of the whole Windows S scheme is to lock people into the app store so that developers go there and create interesting UWP apps. Lets see if that happens.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Well I think you're right as their ultimate goal is to have a good standing Windows Universal Platform with modern apps which have modern design, modern APIs and are observed by Microsoft to keep the Store healthy.

I think that we are quite far away from the possible "surface phone" or whatever people want to call it because quite frankly, the main purpose of it is still going to be using cellular connectivity for making calls and text messages.

However I think that another reason for them providing all of their services on iOS and Android is simply business as about 99% of user base is there and about 90% of those use a Windows powered PC, where they are probably used to Microsoft's services and would like to get the best of those on their phones too. They discussed this sync between iOS and Android devices with Windows 10 PCs on Build which also points simply to offer something that Apple and Google can't (for now) and that is same experience and sync across all devices, even independent from the OS those devices are running (Cortana plays a big role here though).

TheAccelorator

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Haven't Microsoft tried this tack before, by trying to get people on board the WP train by flooding the market with affordable devices which get people into Microsoft services? Surface device is not the want for me. I want multiple devices like Android has, devices like I Oneplus 3t, Honor 8 Pro, Ximoea redmi Pro, etc etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234