Why no phones for Verizon?

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Inking and pen support is useless to me without CDMA support... If it doesn't run on Verizon its not available to me. Ask anyone with an Icon why they still have one and it is because we want windows but aren't able to upgrade because there are ZERO windows phones that run on a CDMA network. I get that its a big world out there but in the US over 40% of all subscribers are on Verizon. It's the biggest single carrier and has coverage in areas that other carriers don't. I had been buying used Icons on Amazon, but that supply has dried up. If my current phone gives up the ghost I will sadly have to move to an iPhone, and Microsoft is doing nothing to change that.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
in the US over 40% of all subscribers are on Verizon.

Actually less than 40. 35% for Q1 of 2017 when looking at the largest 5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_wireless_communications_service_providers

Me thinks they are holding about steady while the others see some small growth.

...If my current phone gives up the ghost I will sadly have to move to an iPhone...

All that Vzw will offer now is iPhone? :winktongue:

Verizon has been promising to shut down CDMA for some time. Eventually this dichotomy will resolve itself. 2021 maybe? 5G will be here before then and it might actually kick them in the butt and make them move to phase out CDMA quicker.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Meanwhile, AndroidCentral has a lead article on the unlocked HTC 11 supporting Verizon without having CDMA radios....

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Meanwhile, AndroidCentral has a lead article on the unlocked HTC 11 supporting Verizon without having CDMA radios....

Many factory unlocked Android phones support CDMA. In the last several years I've used a Nexus 6, a Nexus 6P, an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and as of yesterday, an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8+. All I do is insert my Verizon SIM card, nothing else. It "just works". One of my colleagues on Verizon uses a Moto X Pure 2015. There are also a number of others factory unlocked devices that work on Verizon, including iPhones.

Dan Rubino commented on a Reddit thread awhile ago about Microsoft and CDMA. The subject was Why Are There No New CDMA Windows 10 Mobile Devices?. Here is the relevant part of his comment:

As to the OP word on the street is Windows 10 Mobile has issues with CDMA specifically getting certified on Verizon. While 8.1 to 10 upgrades are one thing, native CDMA in a new handset is another (think the double-tap to wake issue).

I've heard that Microsoft basically over-fired engineers and they now lack proper a proper CDMA team/are behind on its development FWIW.

Now, I'll just throw some thoughts in here for free about my opinions on CDMA/Verizon:

One thing I do not like about being on Verizon is that I cannot choose just any factory unlocked device like an AT&T or T-Mobile user can. Most devices though do have a Verizon version even if there is not a factory unlocked version, or if the factory unlocked version does not support CDMA. However, there is a very good list of factory unlocked phones that support CDMA, and the list is growing. I have a much larger selection of factory unlocked phones available than I would have if I was a Windows phone user.

There are advantages to CDMA and Verizon that cause me to stick with them. CDMA is what gives Verizon its superior coverage. Where my relatives live in the Midwest, GSM carriers are AWOL. US Cellular and Verizon have great coverage, and even Sprint has some. There is no AT&T or T-Mobile service, at all.

Also, Verizon cannot SIM lock their phones, and they are very limited in what they can do to mess with customers with the old unlimited data plans. For example, even if the plan does not have tethering enabled, it is perfectly legal to use a tethering app and do it anyway.

Although I use Windows phone, my primary device is not one. If it was, I would probably switch carriers. But because of lack of GSM coverage where I travel most, it would be a huge sacrifice.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I had to look up what cdma even was. I'd never heard of it. Turns out Verizon is dumping cdma in 2019 anyway. Internationally its not very popular.

That's probably why Microsoft never made any cdma phones, because it was never very popular internationally, and everyone is dumping it anyway.

Looks like Verizon has a lot of work to do updating its network.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Verizon has a lot of work to do updating its network.

They do indeed. You should read up on the history of CDMA and Verizon. Ironically, the reason Verizon uses CDMA is because while they were rolling out their network many years ago, CDMA was cutting edge. By the time other carriers were doing it, GSM had begun to take over.

As I said in the other post, CDMA does have some interesting "features". One is better range. Another is soft handoff. If you're moving from the range of one tower into another, it can actually use both simultaneously and move to the "new" tower while still being connected to the "old" tower. From what I've heard, technically this results in better call quality while on the outskirts of range, and also results in less dropped calls.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I posted in the Rumored Phones threads about a new variant of the Elite X3. Anyone who knows FCCIDs or Bands for the VZ network who is also interested in taking a deeper look might be interested. I am almost positive it will be the variant destined for VZW but I am still looking for confirmation. The new FCCID is B94HHF606V.

Last edited:

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I have an Icon too and don't really have a choice for service other than Verizon either. The others claim to have service here, but everyone I've known who has anything other than Verizon just complains about it for a while and eventually switches to Verizon. Given there's no current upgrade path for Windows phone on Verizon, my phone is unsupported with updates from Microsoft, there's no word on ANY new phone hardware from Microsoft or even third parties, and I now have a buggy version of 15063.2 with no way to fix it or update it (Believe me nothing works, I've tried soft resets, hard resets, and the WDRT), I'm throwing in the towel and switching platforms.

It's unfortunate, because this has been the most reliable phone (until recently) that I've owned and I really like the UI and the OS. There's just not enough support for it on Verizon or clear direction from Microsoft to make it a viable platform choice for me going forward.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Interestingly there is an article on Android Central stating how the HTC U11 their new flagship supports VZW without having CDMA onboard. Check out that read. Like posted above CDMA is legacy for the most part and in the coming years VZW will repurpose their CDMA equipment for 5G. Much how AT&T's sunset ended for their 2G equipment more recently.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium