06-28-2017 07:11 AM
46 12
tools
    I think "getting used to" includes habits you have formed using a system, not just knowing basic functions. We like things because we are used to them, they make sense. Therefore, it takes time if you change those habits. I believe its good advice for people to give change time.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    I agree about habits. But the modern device has to get used to You, not You to device. If the device is good, it feels natural and familiar for You from first minutes (I know, sound a bit "Jobs-style"... but I don't like Apple).

In Your meaning of "getting used to" You can get used to literally anything... different will be only time needed for that.
    06-10-2017 07:28 AM
    I agree about habits. But the modern device has to get used to You, not You to device. If the device is good, it feels natural and familiar for You from first minutes (I know, sound a bit "Jobs-style"... but I don't like Apple).

In Your meaning of "getting used to" You can get used to literally anything... different will be only time needed for that.
    That's an interesting concept, that our devices have to get used to us not the other way around. Could you expand on that with more detail?

libra89 likes this.
    06-10-2017 10:02 AM
    I think "getting used to" includes habits you have formed using a system, not just knowing basic functions. We like things because we are used to them, they make sense. Therefore, it takes time if you change those habits. I believe its good advice for people to give change time.

I use to think that way myself. And so I boiled it down to three things for me. Camera, keyboard, and carrier enhanced services. Switching back and forth so much I have learned what really counts for Me.

If I switch to between an android W10M or iOS device I find those three items I reliably find can be pet-peevish for me.

We all should know who performs in the camera department by now on all platforms. 950s are performers there. Andoid and W10M can be finicky though in the camera dept. depending I guess. iPhone cameras will always be great.

I have not found an android keyboard layout yet that works for me and I don't want to spend hours trying to get that one down. The W10M keyboard is simplistic verbose and just works great on my 950 xl. The iPhone kb is a good one too. But iOS has its limitations.

Carrier enhanced services I have working on my 950xl so I'm at home for now. Right now the 950 xl is nailing all the three of these areas that I find enhance my mobile experience.

Androids have lots of different flavors to chose from hw and sw. iOS iPhones are more limited by their own OS then even Windows phones... so for now I'm enjoying my 950 xl too. I also own an idold4s that I switch back and forth with.
    TgeekB, mark233 and libra89 like this.
    06-10-2017 10:39 AM
    I use to think that way myself. And so I boiled it down to three things for me. Camera, keyboard, and carrier enhanced services. Switching back and forth so much I have learned what really counts for Me.

If I switch to between an android W10M or iOS device I find those three items I reliably find can be pet-peevish for me.

We all should know who performs in the camera department by now on all platforms. 950s are performers there. Andoid and W10M can be finicky though in the camera dept. depending I guess. iPhone cameras will always be great.

I have not found an android keyboard layout yet that works for me and I don't want to spend hours trying to get that one down. The W10M keyboard is simplistic verbose and just works great on my 950 xl. The iPhone kb is a good one too. But iOS has its limitations.

Carrier enhanced services I have working on my 950xl so I'm at home for now. Right now the 950 xl is nailing all the three of these areas that I find enhance my mobile experience.

Androids have lots of different flavors to chose from hw and sw. iOS iPhones are more limited by their own OS then even Windows phones... so for now I'm enjoying my 950 xl too. I also own an idold4s that I switch back and forth with.
    They certainly all have their advantages and each person has to see which one fits their needs most.
    For instance, right now I'm enjoying some new smart devices I can control with my iPhone. A dimmable light, a smart plug, and a thermostat. While still a bit bare bones, its fun to play around with and see where we're headed.
    While ios is limited in some ways (customization) it leads in technological advancements.

Last edited by TgeekB; 06-11-2017 at 07:25 AM.
    libra89 and nate0 like this.
    06-10-2017 03:34 PM
    Did you try Arrow launcher? I don't think I could use my s7 edge without it now. Worth a try , should give a shot...
    06-11-2017 06:30 AM
    They certainly all have their advantages and each person has to see which one fits their needs most.
    For instance, right now I'm enjoying some new smart devices I can control with my iPhone. A dimmable light, a smart plug, and a thermostat. While still a bit bare bones, its fun to play around with and see where we're headed.
    While ios is limited in some ways (customization) it leads in technological advancements.

You do not have even regular functions which are available on Nokia 6230, but care about controlling dimmable light, smart plug and thermostat? Seems like usual Apple user :)
    06-11-2017 08:51 AM
    You do not have even regular functions which are available on Nokia 6230, but care about controlling dimmable light, smart plug and thermostat? Seems like usual Apple user :)
    You should chose a phone that does what you need, right? What basic functions can't I do?
    BTW, I also own an Idol4s and Lumia 640. I'm far from typical.
    Last edited by TgeekB; 06-11-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    Scienceguy Labs and libra89 like this.
    06-11-2017 09:05 AM
    I've been using a S8+ for a few days now and it's every bit the flagship it's supposed to be. It's not without issues though. Bluetooth range is +/- 10' and Samsung knows it but it's not fixed yet.

Aside from that, everything else is Android-related and not the phone itself. I can't get used to the 18:9 aspect ratio but that's on me, not the OS or the device. I can safely say the camera's as good, if not better, than the 950 series. Definitely better in the dark. Ever since Cobalt (Crackberry user) put up the patched BlackBerry Manager for all Androids, contacts syncing has ceased to be an issue on Androids. I use the BlackBerry Hub for email, contacts and calendars exclusively, bypassing Google or any other method. Facebook and LinkedIn contact integration is seamless as if it were on my PC.

Rooting is a no-go on this device not just because of Knox, the bootloader can't be unlocked and there's no recovery available for it.
    TgeekB, nate0, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    06-11-2017 11:56 AM
    I've been using a S8+ for a few days now and it's every bit the flagship it's supposed to be. It's not without issues though. Bluetooth range is +/- 10' and Samsung knows it but it's not fixed yet.

Aside from that, everything else is Android-related and not the phone itself. I can't get used to the 18:9 aspect ratio but that's on me, not the OS or the device. I can safely say the camera's as good, if not better, than the 950 series. Definitely better in the dark. Ever since Cobalt (Crackberry user) put up the patched BlackBerry Manager for all Androids, contacts syncing has ceased to be an issue on Androids. I use the BlackBerry Hub for email, contacts and calendars exclusively, bypassing Google or any other method. Facebook and LinkedIn contact integration is seamless as if it were on my PC.

Rooting is a no-go on this device not just because of Knox, the bootloader can't be unlocked and there's no recovery available for it.
    Blackberry hmmmm good point I will look into that. But again out of box basic items like this should work. Thanks and yes bluetooth is horrid.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    06-12-2017 01:41 PM
    W10M has the Citrix receiver app. Maybe im not reading your post correctly
    06-13-2017 12:55 AM
    Blackberry hmmmm good point I will look into that. But again out of box basic items like this should work. Thanks and yes bluetooth is horrid.
    You mean out of the box items like Bixby? Talk about the button to nowhere. At least if we could remap it for camera shutter or to launch a specific app, but noooooo!
    libra89 likes this.
    06-16-2017 06:35 PM
    I have not found an android keyboard layout yet that works for me and I don't want to spend hours trying to get that one down. The W10M keyboard is simplistic verbose and just works great on my 950 xl.
    You may want to try the Microsoft Hub keyboard. Similar to that on WM10 and similar to word flow I'm using on my Iphone.

Also give the arrow launcher a try. Best launcher I've seen since starting with Android on a HTC MyTouch 3G phone using Eclair.

Last edited by PerfectReign; 06-18-2017 at 08:03 AM.
    nate0 likes this.
    06-18-2017 12:54 AM
    You may want to try the Microsoft Hub keyboard. Similar to that on WM10 and similar to word flow I'm using on my Iphone.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...46efcd7d4e.jpg
    Thanks. Will do that.
    06-18-2017 05:41 PM
    W10M is better simple and very cool , if here would be more apps and quality of apps get better I'd never leave it , I'm with .y lumia phone till MS will support W10M
    Kot Prada and Timbre70 like this.
    06-18-2017 06:51 PM
    The S8 is a steaming unreliable pile of crap!!!! I haven't had so many hard restarts or just plan reboots with my Icon even on insider builds. Just received a phone call and it locked up my phone tighter than a bullfrogs a**.
    Timbre70 and Kot Prada like this.
    06-22-2017 08:29 PM
    The S8 is a steaming unreliable pile of crap!!!! I haven't had so many hard restarts or just plan reboots with my Icon even on insider builds. Just received a phone call and it locked up my phone tighter than a bullfrogs a**.
    Hopefully it is still within the 30 day return window...
    06-22-2017 09:52 PM
    Originally posted by buffalosolja
    My trial/switch to Android was simply because of application possibilities for home monitoring really as my wife is really interested in security system.

I will tell you the hardware on S8+ is pretty nice but the Android setup and other items has been a nightmare for me I had to reach out on XDA for assistance.

I have been really busy since getting the phone with work and coaching so that maybe the reason.

Things I have noticed (apps aside as that is a given):

* Setup - It took me almost 3 days to get all my contacts correct on my phone. That is with using the default account cloud setting. Outlook for Android (removed but may reinstall). And ATT mobile transfer..

My experience with Windows phone was 5 minutes and I am good. Android 30min and I am still working on setting up.

Windows phone all my shared calendars work out of box once setup (2 live accounts, 1 gmail account, 1 exchange). I cannot for the life of me get the default calendar app to work in this fashion.

* Out of box - feel like items and content out of box feel a bit more premium than any of my past windows phone devices. And reminds me of the old windows mobile days getting everything you need in the box.

* Too much crap - my goodness I was use to a clean notification center but I get alert after alert after alert. My fitbit does communicate better but everything else is a notification nightmare coming from WP.

* Bluetooth - I remember seeing so many threads of people complaining about WP bluetooth in car. Well the S8+ is horrid in my car (2014 Dodge Ram). Transfer to phone from bluetooth hangs call up now. Clarity is either hit or miss on call and even my kids are like dad that sounds terrible.

As soon as windows phone pics up more app support I will dump this device or UWP and arm comes along. But for now I will learn a bit. As my connected devices fitbit, and jaybird, UE boom all work better with more functionality than before. If I can get my calendar working I will be ok. I am using the MS launcher I believe it is Arrow and other MS items but really missing my 950xl.

This will be a good experience for me I haven't been empathetic enough to my wife with her android struggles with our family live calendars. And Windows Phone picks up the momentum I think it will (The Citrix receiver is big for me in my role as and System Architect) I will come running back.

PS. majority of my friends/peers either clapped or were completely shocked when they saw my device honestly. But I am just leasing Android for a vacation but my home is with Windows.
    Put on your running shoes and head over to the app store!
    JetFixxxer likes this.
    06-23-2017 12:13 PM
    So the calendar sharing issue is related to Samsung I found. I am just simple it is driving me crazy I have 3 email applications on phone. Default Samsung, Gmail, and outlook...
    06-26-2017 11:43 PM
    My trial/switch to Android was simply because of application possibilities for home monitoring really as my wife is really interested in security system.

I will tell you the hardware on S8+ is pretty nice but the Android setup and other items has been a nightmare for me I had to reach out on XDA for assistance.

I have been really busy since getting the phone with work and coaching so that maybe the reason.

Things I have noticed (apps aside as that is a given):

• Setup - It took me almost 3 days to get all my contacts correct on my phone. That is with using the default account cloud setting. Outlook for Android (removed but may reinstall). And ATT mobile transfer..

My experience with Windows phone was 5 minutes and I am good. Android 30min and I am still working on setting up.

Windows phone all my shared calendars work out of box once setup (2 live accounts, 1 gmail account, 1 exchange). I cannot for the life of me get the default calendar app to work in this fashion.
    • Out of box - feel like items and content out of box feel a bit more premium than any of my past windows phone devices. And reminds me of the old windows mobile days getting everything you need in the box.
    • Too much crap - my goodness I was use to a clean notification center but I get alert after alert after alert. My fitbit does communicate better but everything else is a notification nightmare coming from WP.
    • Bluetooth - I remember seeing so many threads of people complaining about WP bluetooth in car. Well the S8+ is horrid in my car (2014 Dodge Ram). Transfer to phone from bluetooth hangs call up now. Clarity is either hit or miss on call and even my kids are like dad that sounds terrible.

As soon as windows phone pics up more app support I will dump this device or UWP and arm comes along. But for now I will learn a bit. As my connected devices fitbit, and jaybird, UE boom all work better with more functionality than before. If I can get my calendar working I will be ok. I am using the MS launcher I believe it is Arrow and other MS items but really missing my 950xl.

This will be a good experience for me I haven't been empathetic enough to my wife with her android struggles with our family live calendars. And Windows Phone picks up the momentum I think it will (The Citrix receiver is big for me in my role as and System Architect) I will come running back.

PS. majority of my friends/peers either clapped or were completely shocked when they saw my device honestly. But I am just leasing Android for a vacation but my home is with Windows.
    The too much crap part has to do with crappy Samsung. Buy a Moto, HTC or Alcatel and there's little to no bloatware.

Cheers
    J Dubbs likes this.
    06-27-2017 01:14 PM
    Also check out the Nexus 6P. It's an aging phone according to tech standards, but still a really good device.
    libra89 and J Dubbs like this.
    06-27-2017 01:17 PM
    Also check out the Nexus 6P. It's an aging phone according to tech standards, but still a really good device.
    True. And without the exaggerated price of the Google Pixel.
    Scienceguy Labs and J Dubbs like this.
    06-28-2017 07:11 AM
46 12