Windows 10m - My thoughts

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
We all have different experiences, wants, and needs. The OP just got his new W10M phone and is excited to tell us his feelings. Lets let him enjoy it for a bit.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

No doubt. But there was no mention of which android version was being compared. Not that many phones are on nougat so that one has not been experienced by everyone. Everything before Nougat I didn't like myself. I just thought I would mention it and why I specifically mentioned Nougat.

I feel that android has this bad rep and is called "lagdroid" because of the old days. And it has stuck with those users who haven't given the newest one a try. Google has come a long way. I think that their new Fuschia OS they are working on could be a good competitor against MS in the future. Apple should follow MS and Google with the one operating system idea if they want to keep up.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
No doubt. But there was no mention of which android version was being compared. Not that many phones are on nougat so that one has not been experienced by everyone. Everything before Nougat I didn't like myself. I just thought I would mention it and why I specifically mentioned Nougat.

I feel that android has this bad rep and is called "lagdroid" because of the old days. And it has stuck with those users who haven't given the newest one a try. Google has come a long way. I think that their new Fuschia OS they are working on could be a good competitor against MS in the future. Apple should follow MS and Google with the one operating system idea if they want to keep up.

Google has come a long way and the lagdroid comments are outdated, I agree. I've did Android for several years before moving to Windows. I just got bored with it I guess and tired of all the tinkering.

My comment was just because he has been such a positive poster for a while now and that was without ever owning a Windows phone! Now he's got one and I'm interested in hearing his experience. Its good to hear a variety of experiences on all platforms though.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Phone finally arrived today. Haven't had much of a play. In its factory state so far:

*UI is beautiful - I showed my mum and she said she'd prefer that to her android phone. She was jelly. It's got nice app animations, as well as the beautiful tiles screen. Setting etc is reasonably familiar to due to windows. Whole UI has a nice polish I've not seen anywhere else.

*Maps navigation pathfinding isn't as good as bb10 (which is based on a car navigation OS, and I've had the same issues with google maps). Maps itself is fine, and the speech overlay is really good, but pathfinding seems like google maps to take you in some weird directions - may need to find another nav app

*Comes loaded with a lot of apps, some of which I don't need. Uninstalled some straight away. OS space is light - without all the partitions of Android, this seems to way in at even less than bb10 on the disk (imagine it'll grow with updates).

*Seems fluid to me, and consistent.

*All my bookmarks and contacts automatically came over from my PC, which is nice. Makes it kinda easy out of the box actually.

On the Lumia 950 itself- very light which is a nice surprise (When I got the package I was like this can't be a phone, then hefted in my hand- wow), screen and camera is beautiful, really great - only flaw that I can see is battery heat - I can see this getting hot while gaming. Oh and the speaker while loud, is a little tinny. I suppose playing music out of your phone speaker isn't ideal usually anyway, but the old phone I had was quieter but fuller.

More to come as I delve into the system.....

despite android serving my overall needs for a phone better personally, that's one thing i find hard to argue with: the UI is undeniably beautiful.

windows has been really acing the UI game for their mobile for a while.

i'm going all the way back to microsoft's not-a-phone-but-still-a-mobile-device in the Zune HD mp3 player. does anyone remember the zune hd? their ui (i think it was called metro UI) was easily the most beautiful and user friendly UI for a portable device in its time and made the zune hd my favorite mp3 player ever. that UI definitely served as the precursor to windows 7 from which we've come all the way to windows 10. (speaking of which, i think the zune hd with its sleek, angled metal body might be the unofficial spiritual guide of the current surface line)

and then when I first saw the first nokia (i think it was called the nokia 800) with windows 7 - with tiles in colors that complemented its cyan blue hardware ... man, i loved it! the w7 UI was a natural evolution of the metro UI that I had loved. i remember thinking "that's what a mobile UI should look like!"

unfortunately, for me personally, the app gap had an effect and i became a part of camp android (at least for phones)... until maybe the surface phone finally arrives.

sorry for the reminiscing, but yeah.... no denying the beauty of windows mobile UI!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
despite android serving my overall needs for a phone better personally, that's one thing i find hard to argue with: the UI is undeniably beautiful.

windows has been really acing the UI game for their mobile for a while.

i'm going all the way back to microsoft's not-a-phone-but-still-a-mobile-device in the Zune HD mp3 player. does anyone remember the zune hd? their ui (i think it was called metro UI) was easily the most beautiful and user friendly UI for a portable device in its time and made the zune hd my favorite mp3 player ever. that UI definitely served as the precursor to windows 7 from which we've come all the way to windows 10. (speaking of which, i think the zune hd with its sleek, angled metal body might be the unofficial spiritual guide of the current surface line)

and then when I first saw the first nokia (i think it was called the nokia 800) with windows 7 - with tiles in colors that complemented its cyan blue hardware ... man, i loved it! the w7 UI was a natural evolution of the metro UI that I had loved. i remember thinking "that's what a mobile UI should look like!"

unfortunately, for me personally, the app gap had an effect and i became a part of camp android (at least for phones)... until maybe the surface phone finally arrives.

sorry for the reminiscing, but yeah.... no denying the beauty of windows mobile UI!

Interesting really when you consider all the criticisms for MSFT's "failures". Zune UI did form an inspiration for metro, and windows 10. Windows RT became the inspiration for the UWP platform. NT core became windows networking (not that this was a failure), and eventually active directory became azure etc....Seems more like rather than failures, MSFT takes a little good and a bit of a lesson from all its prior tech, nothing actually being a loss but rather an evolution.

On the UI, yeah its definitely a well conceived thing. Might be even hotter with fluent design. From my mum having windows phone envy, to the many android immigrants than use squarehome etc, I think everyone has that experience of the UI on windows phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa