Switch from Android to Windows Phone

94_Jafar

Jun 15, 2017
Visit site
I want to switch from android to Windows Phone. Should I buy a Windows phone now or should I wait for a new phone (especially with the rumors surrounding the surface phone).
Any suggestions of which phone should I buy if now?

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I want to switch from android to Windows Phone. Should I buy a Windows phone now or should I wait for a new phone (especially with the rumors surrounding the surface phone).

Hey @94_Jafar welcome to the 1%! Here are some things I tell most people that want to come over to a Windows phone...

First off, there aren't many options out there at the moment, unlike Android and even iOS, but that doesn't mean you'll have a terrible phone (my all time favorite is the Lumia Icon which is now over 3 years old). If you want a top-end device and have the money, find yourself an HP Elite x3. Biggest, newest, fastest Windows phone at the moment. If you don't have that money to burn, an Alcatel Idol 4S is also a great phone. Lumia 950/950XL are somewhat more difficult to recommend nowadays since they are older and have a not-so-inspiring look to many - I like it, but I'm an odd one out. Not a bad phone, just that there are other options and it's really hard to get as new since they haven't been out of stock practically everywhere. Lumia 650 is a great budget phone, I have one. Doesn't have the best camera, nor does it include Continuum, but you get the best bang for your buck. It'll also be a great device to hold you over until something new comes out (we are all almost certain something is happening).

I say get a phone now, even a Lumia 650 just so you can get a taste of what it's like. What's coming in the future will different, but it won't be too bad if you get used to what's here now. It'll also be quicker to just transfer things over to a newer device, so you'll get up and running faster nest time.

My 2 cents

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The rumours of a 'Surface Phone' has been around a long time. There is no proof such a device exists or what it will look like. Last time MS mentioned making any mobile devices they indicated late 2018 early 2019 (I believe).

Here is a link to the 'best' Windows Phones:

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-windows-phone

Keep in mind that support could end for any of these within the next year.

If you can, it might not hurt to purchase one of the cheaper devices to make sure W10 Mobile works for you.

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Given the current state and future uncertainty of the OS, I wouldn't commit to spending much money on it.

I just switched from the 950 to an Android and can say with certainty that unless there are major overhauls in the OS, I won't be using W10M as my DD.

Best case scenario, the 'newest' W10M phones will be supported for another 1.5-2 years, though given how little MS has developed the OS recently I would suspect it will be less than that. Those phone have already been out for a while, and as far as I'm aware, nothing new is planned (and at least confirmed).

We've all been waiting for a Surface Phone (or more recently a Surface Mobile) for years - don't hold your breath.

There is some promise with W10 on ARM but there isn't much info on how this will translate into phones. That will likely be my next trip back to a Windows phone device... if it comes to fruition.

W10M had great potential and some truly unique features when it was released, but since then the potential hasn't really materialized and the competition has caught up on anything that was differentiating (continuum, cameras, etc.).

All that said, if you like W10M and can live with the uncertainty and limitations, they aren't bad... just limited.

There was a time I'd recommend a Windows phone to everyone, but that time has well passed. It pains me to say it, but I really can't imagine a time when a Windows phone has an advantage over an Android or iPhone (unless comparing the best Windows phone to an old competitor's phone).

Vivio vrvly

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
950XL is still awesome. Got mine for 250euro. As why, simply because even now there is no phone that captures videos with better audio than this. Its fun to watch/hear sound from those videos, you will get addicted.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
If you can, the 950xl is a decent device. It should be relatively inexpensive these days. I have that and a less-than-functioning Elite X3. Both are great. I have a SFS6 at work and only used it for the occasional app.missing.

That said, I'm typing this from a new Iphone 7+ I bought to replace the X3. The 950 is now my work device instead of the SGS6. You'll find the community support excellent but most will try to get you to load the XYZ app they have which won't exist on Windows 10.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what I would recommend to someone like yourself at this moment in time. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a new device. If you can find an Idol4s at a decent price that may be the way to go. The Surface phone won't be available any time soon.
Good luck!

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I have, and am quite happy with, the 950XL. Might be able to go by your local Microsoft Store and buy a refurb?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site

I would suggest waiting at the moment, especially if you happen to be a Verizon user. The latest phones are the HP Elite x3 and Liquid Jade Primo. You'll pay a premium for the HP and you might find a good deal on the Acer. There is a good bundle deal on the Acer right now:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...unlocked%2F8w7zvl8321jq%2Fg6hm&token=FLqyMLzQ

I'm a long time Windows Phone fan and supporter but I did have to leave and go back to Android for various reasons. But it is still near and near to my heart.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Well...

1 - Good luck finding a Windows Phone for sale

2 - Microsoft is pretty much shutting down Windows 10 Mobile and developers are doing the same. Support will also be over by the end of this year so...consider that.

3 - There won't be a Surface Phone. These rumours are just that, rumours. If you're going to sit waiting for Microsoft supposed "new attempt" at a mobile phone, you're gonna be phone-less for quite a while.

Honestly, just stick with Android. It's much better. If you're sick of your phone, try another brand. And if you're sick of Android as an OS (to the point of wanting to jump to a dead OS) give iOS a try. I don't know of any Android user who switched to iOS and liked it but hey, it can happen.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm enjoying my HTC One M8 fer Windows. Those should be a steal about now, if you want to venture into the windows realm. I haven't tried it, but I believe there is still a way to move one from 8 to WM10.
True, this device is about 3 years old, but it was a flagship back then and does just fine now, even with the new OS.
(This would give you a chance to try it out, without sacrificing a bunch of $$.)
It is also true there aren't as many of the mainstream apps on Windows Mobile as there are on iOS or Android, but most of us have either accepted that and found substitutes or don't care... :)

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I hope you're aware of the app and feature2 situation with Windows 10 Mobile. If you're not, make sure you are before you decide to purchase a Windows phone.

If you however are aware of the situation Windows 10 Mobile is in, then I'd recommend you to go with a 950 XL if camera matters to you, HP Elite x3 if you can afford it and don't care much about the camera and Alcatel Idol 4S if you want a little bit of everything with nice design.

Also...
2 - Microsoft is pretty much shutting down Windows 10 Mobile and developers are doing the same. Support will also be over by the end of this year so...consider that.
We don't know anything for sure about this yet, but it is possible. I still think MS wouldn't simply stab HP in the back like that.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
We don't know anything for sure about this yet, but it is possible. I still think MS wouldn't simply stab HP in the back like that.

Well, according to Microsoft's own lifecycle support, the longer Windows 10 Mobile will be supported is October 2018. Which is applicable to the WP10 version released in August 2016 with the release of the Elite X3. Making it 2 years of software support, as normal.

After that I don't think there will be any support whatsoever. In fact, considering the flop the Elite X3 was, I highly doubt even HP is too concerned about that.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/lifecycle/search/?c2=11921

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Well this year is 2017 I believe and according to the page you've shown in the link I believe we still have a year to go. Many things can change within a year - for the worse or for the better, we are yet to find that out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)