What Windows Mobile should have been by now

Unkitjc

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a 950XL currently with an 830 on the side, witnessing my brother retire his 1520 in favour of a OnePlus5 as his work phone, using a 930 as his personal one.

I've had brief encounters with the OnePlus5, an S7 edge and an iPhone 7+, all owned by people around me, allowing me to use them a varying lengths of time over a while (except for the OnePlus5, it's barely a week old).

Some of the things that pop up to my head when using them are: They are what my 950XL should have been right now. I am not talking about build quality, I am more than content with my 950XL's build, I find it easy to handle and pleasant. The S8 and OnePlus have been rather slippery without a case, the iPhone7 bearable.

What I mean, when I say that the 950XL should have been like when compared to these phones is the experience:

The basic OS on the 950XL has come a long way considering from the Anniversary Update, that is approximately the time since when I have been using mine. It's stable, functional, and I am a bit biased, I love the Windows UI better than the rest.

Still, here are some things I would have liked and hoped Microsoft would have given me as a user. Some might be more vague than others:

1. Native music experience - as a user living in India, I do not have access to Groove Music and it's features. It is very annoying. I have local solutions, but having used Apple Music and Google's service, which are rather neat on their respective platforms, I would have loved to have Groove on my phone, to not just listen to artists I follow but also discover more. Other services are officially present in India, Groove is not. Also, basic playlist management was better on WP8.1 with the older music app - I can't rearrange songs in a 'now playing' list, can't remove from there, and doing so to a playlist is a little tedious too.

2. Windows maps is fairly reliable for me in most situations, though Google maps in certain situations just gets more accurate results. Obscure places are listed on Google but not on Windows maps, which is based on Here. Since the sale of Here Maps I am a bit curious as to how their active development might be going.. And it's not just that. Windows Maps only recently got the ability to add an intermediate stop to an on going navigation - which Google has had for a while. It's getting better, may be I'll rethink this point in the future.

3. App fluidity has decreased and fluctuated from the WP8.1 days in some cases - it shows on my 830, the 950XL does okay though. My main gripe is the time it takes for an app to resume. The iPhone and S7 (I am talking in comparison high end devices here, since 950XL is one) resume apps fairly quickly, even launches are almost instant. The performance on the 950XL is not terrible, just underwhelming compared to the other two, and frankly I'd have expected to experience something similar to the other two if not at par. The lack of performance could be due to any number of reasons, but point is we don't have it.

4. App quality - this is something everyone knows and has experienced more or less, still I feel like I should mention. App quality, in terms of design, performance and features is universal better on other platforms. Even Microsoft's own apps are better on other platforms. I would not have complained if we got the updates last on windows, but we don't get those updates at all or we get them too late. The current Skype app on W10M is fairly unreliable, specially for SMS, and I am worried what the new redesign will do... If we get it that is.

5. Overall lack of fine-tuning and evolution of the OS - this last one is very evident when I use WP8.1 vs W10M. Not even counting other OSes. The base things like Edge, Photos app, Calculator, and innumerable other things make me feel like the OS was good two years ago, but since there has not only been the obvious lack of development of new features, but also a lack in making current things better, evolving the design, like how Live Tiles could be doing much more like widgets, the lockscreen could have notifications listed instead of having to open the action centre, ap like WhatsApp lacking actionable notifications, refreshing the look of icons and other design - I'm aware of the new design language, but current windows mobile users will probably not get to see it, we should have gotten some progress earlier.

I'm sure I'm missing out on many things, which will have been covered elsewhere. The point of this lost, for me, has been to express my disappointment to how much it seems like Windows 10 Mobile has stood still compared to other platforms. It should have been, for the lack of a better word, seamless.

I still love the platform and UI, but feels like if something were to happen to my phones, I would have no other phone to go to.
The rumoured Lumia 960, I would have bought that, even as a place holder, Microsoft had once promised they would make phones if no one else would.. Something to hold on to till the next iteration. It makes sense not launching it since a reboot of the OS, like between WP7.8 & WP8.1 would be a big hinder to the probably unsupported device.

Oh well. End of rant. What do you guys think, what are the basics that Windows 10 Mobile as it is, is still missing?

Unkitjc

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Onyekesi Elochukwu
Lets not forget how all microsoft windows phones are released with outdated hardware. Always a generation behind when it comes to raw processing power.

Absolutely right! I wonder if that had something to do with Nokia as well? Or Microsoft being dictating what processors are W10M compatible?
If it's the latter then I am guessing it won't be like android which is more widely adaptable, making W10M generally stable on the compatible chipsets.

Either ways it does suck to not have latest hardware, and despite good performance I find wanting more

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I still love the platform and UI, but feels like if something were to happen to my phones, I would have no other phone to go to.

Says it all.
WM hardware is a blank screen and Microsoft refuses to validate anything on the horizon.
This vaporous baloney from Microlost is sheer torture for the faithful.

Personally I've found peace with Android.
WM should have been on top, yet MS turned a blind eye to it's own.
Well conceived OS designed by a cast of thousands that evidently was considered disposable.
Sadly each and every day fans of the OS are finding alternatives.
:(

Unkitjc

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Guytronic
Originally Posted by Unkitjc

Says it all.
WM hardware is a blank screen and Microsoft refuses to validate anything on the horizon.
This vaporous baloney from Microlost is sheer torture for the faithful.

Personally I've found peace with Android.
WM should have been on top, yet MS turned a blind eye to it's own.
Well conceived OS designed by a cast of thousands that evidently was considered disposable.
Sadly each and every day fans of the OS are finding alternatives.
:(

Until another version of windows comes out I will have to eventually switch too, probably will get Android.. Also, a new Windows Mobile running phone, whenever that happens, will probably cost a lot, so whatever I switch to in the immediate future will have to be on a budget..

I've got a lot of apps and stuff in the windows ecosystem, and I use a Windows laptop at work, so it is more or less certain I will come back to this platform any how. Things like One Note / OneDrive / Cortana assure that I will probably stay on Microsoft services even when I switch. So it's more of a waiting game.. Hell, if I just get a good windows based portable tablet (7" or less) which has cellular internet, I could live with having a cheap android phone. Literally!

A good camera is important to me, honestly Nokia has spoiled me. I've tried the cameras on the S7 edge and iPhone 7 plus, they're great but the sheer amount of detail on my 950XL has me waiting for something better (dual cameras are still experimental, even if they are getting better).

To my eyes, the 830 camera feels somewhat comparable to a S7. Any future device I consider, Android or otherwise, would have to perform at least as comparable to the 950XL. So many good things to take away from W10M

chenryhen

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I will probably end up on iOS and it kills me. I'm really hoping that this holiday season brings some good news to the faithful. Back to your original topic line, full W10 on ARM - i.e. pocket pc phones - is where it should've been by now. I wish Microsoft had pivoted sooner, so we'd already be there.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The rumoured Lumia 960, I would have bought that, even as a place holder, Microsoft had once promised they would make phones if no one else would.. Something to hold on to till the next iteration. It makes sense not launching it since a reboot of the OS, like between WP7.8 & WP8.1 would be a big hinder to the probably unsupported device.

Oh well. End of rant. What do you guys think, what are the basics that Windows 10 Mobile as it is, is still missing?

I really think that canceling phones will be the undoing of the platform. They should have kept on releasing something just to keep themselves relevant.

I think they never should have decided to run with a strategy of 'sit and wait'. The moribund situation the platform is in, I believe is unrecoverable and anything they release, will show that. The consumer market with mobile is gone for MS.

While I think the fundamentals of W10M are good, it's still very buggy and very slow. I don't know whether this is the apps, or the OS, but it's something with needs to be addressed. In terms of functionality, there doesn't appear to be much missing, it's mainly support from third parties.

Thing is, the competition is so far ahead, the barrier to entry is so high, I just can't fathom how MS thinks they can just discard everything, and start over... yet again...

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I really think that canceling phones will be the undoing of the platform. They should have kept on releasing something just to keep themselves relevant.

I think they never should have decided to run with a strategy of 'sit and wait'. The moribund situation the platform is in, I believe is unrecoverable and anything they release, will show that. The consumer market with mobile is gone for MS.

While I think the fundamentals of W10M are good, it's still very buggy and very slow. I don't know whether this is the apps, or the OS, but it's something with needs to be addressed. In terms of functionality, there doesn't appear to be much missing, it's mainly support from third parties.

Thing is, the competition is so far ahead, the barrier to entry is so high, I just can't fathom how MS thinks they can just discard everything, and start over... yet again...

I honestly think at this point that cancelling phones didn't make too much a difference. Other than here, Microsoft held barely any of the consumer mindshare.

The only thing I see turning around Microsoft's fortunes in the phone game is for them to come out with something completely new. Like a new form factor that changes how phones could work - kind of like how the surface pro line created a new category. If they do (and I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the so-called surface phone), then I think enough people will get interested which in turn will interest more developers, thereby bringing the app situation closer to parity.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I see turning around Microsoft's fortunes in the phone game is for them to come out with something completely new. Like a new form factor that changes how phones could work - kind of like how the surface pro line created a new category. If they do (and I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the so-called surface phone), then I think enough people will get interested which in turn will interest more developers, thereby bringing the app situation closer to parity.

Category creation does sound like it's the only way, but I lack the creativity to see what it could be and everything I've seen, I'm not particularly enthused about.

One of the problems with mobile also is, I don't think enterprise drives anything. I think it's the consumer market which is taking the lead and has steered where things were going. MS seems to be stuck in the past with this. Sure there's a large market with enterprise, but something like BYOD, I perceive to be something that happened because of consumer adoption of smartphones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12