Next big thing in phones?

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
We are all waiting for surface phone and some say's it will be next big thing in phone after iPhone in 2007 but what if apple's next iphone will be revolution in phone.
Your views

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I believe the reason MS is being so closed mouthed about what is on the horizon, is so that Apple/Android don't get wind of it and bet them to the punch:)

May 15, 2017
Visit site
imo, the phrase "next big thing" no longer applies to apple. they no longer innovate. pretty much every "new" thing that came to the iphone that isheep declared revolutionary had been done before on other platforms.

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
imo, the phrase "next big thing" no longer applies to apple. they no longer innovate. pretty much every "new" thing that came to the iphone that isheep declared revolutionary had been done before on other platforms.
Right but because of 10 anniversary apple may want to bring new thing in mobile and also in india,I didn't other countries there event is live streaming in tv also

Sent from (IOK)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I keep hearing this. The question will remain, what will entice people over to Windows Mobile? You can make the best looking phone. Chock if full of great tech but if it doesn't let you do something with your friends or family, forget it.

This is the issue. You or some tech person might go 'wow'. Even the everyday Joe/Jane might go 'wow' but at the end of the day it's the sociability of the tech is what makes people use their phones on a daily basis.

So if MS comes out with the Surface Phone, it won't matter if it doesn't have that effect. Windows phone fans might like it and maybe some enterprises (because I believe that's their aim now) but the rest of the user base won't care.

That's IMO and I'm not trying to be pessimistic I'm just a realist.

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I keep hearing this. The question will remain, what will entice people over to Windows Mobile? You can make the best looking phone. Chock if full of great tech but if it doesn't let you do something with your friends or family, forget it.

This is the issue. You or some tech person might go 'wow'. Even the everyday Joe/Jane might go 'wow' but at the end of the day it's the sociability of the tech is what makes people use their phones on a daily basis.

So if MS comes out with the Surface Phone, it won't matter if it doesn't have that effect. Windows phone fans might like it and maybe some enterprises (because I believe that's their aim now) but the rest of the user base won't care.

true... that's why msft needs to focus on app parity if it wants to succeed in winning back the consumer mindshare.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I think MS would also agree with you and thts the reason they wont target consumer space, their next device will be the one that enterprises would buy en masse

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
IF the rumored next big thing were to be a 6" phablet
  • a modernized version of the Lumia 1520
  • 32 GB w micro sd support
  • 3-4 GB RAM
  • supports LTE 5

• with a stylus / pen
  • running Win32 (64?) apps
  • with wireless charging
  • Lumia quality camera
  • Tap to Pay (NFC enabled)
  • BONUS >> fold out screen
  • a tad smaller than the Lumia 1520 (same thickness, too thin, meh)
  • Waterproof (or minimally water resistant)
  • with whatever Gorilla Glass that will NOT shatter
  • with DEV support for apps (latest & greatest >> Xamarin)
  • or possibly a sandboxed Android emulator

I'll be all over that.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Agree. Its not just the hardware, its the ecosystem (same thing I said about BB10 and used to get ridiculed about it. What happened? They were forced to go Android).
The advantage MS has is enterprise. I predict it will take a loooong time for this to even have a chance in the consumer market. People can say what they want about Apple and Google, but I don't think MS is a threat to them any time soon.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Agree. Its not just the hardware, its the ecosystem (same thing I said about BB10 and used to get ridiculed about it. What happened? They were forced to go Android).
The advantage MS has is enterprise. I predict it will take a loooong time for this to even have a chance in the consumer market. People can say what they want about Apple and Google, but I don't think MS is a threat to them any time soon.

Who would have thought MS would be a threat to the IPad 6 yrs ago?

I've said this a million times. MS doesn't need an IPhone or Andriod "killer", just a reasonable market share.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I've said this a million times. MS doesn't need an IPhone or Andriod "killer", just a reasonable market share.

That's very true. They have done an excellent job with the Surface lineup. They have done so by targeting the high-end device market and profiting from it. While share may increase over time, it will remain a niche (not a threat) which is fine. I believe they are 2 different devices for different users.
The mobile market may be different, but as I said I believe they will do a similar thing and target corporate and high-end users. Mobile is a different animal though. Most people don't need a pocket computer. Why have both a Surface tablet and a Surface phone? I somehow can't wrap my head around it but we will have to see in 5 years or so what pans out.
Fun to think about and discuss!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I think smartphones have pretty much peaked.
Hardware, software, the lot. There's no real innovation. Moore's law is broken. There's no real compelling motive to buy this years model over last years model.
And the marketshare of the big companies has stalled, whilst budget is on the rise. In established markets, I think we will see some negative growth very soon.

For while all they were adding was better cameras. But at the top end, it looks like that's peaked too. Software wise the economy and the form factor are both serious limitations. The only outstanding quality software typically comes either for enterprise, or as first party software from the OS makers themselves.

I don't think there is a next big thing. I think its pretty much done.

Cloud based machine learning products seem to be about all that can be added. And that's a separate product.

Unless its a completely new technology, or a different style of device, the "hay days" of slab candybar smartphones are in the past.

Actually on that note, I can see apple changing things up a bit over the next few years. They might drop the ipad mini. Focus on enterprise and budget ipads (which they have already started).

And in time, they might do the same with the iPhone - and simultaneously start investing in other product areas more - smarthome, AR/VR etc..

And it may be some time before we see the sort of mass adoption we did with smartphones, with newer, more innovative products of other classes either. Smartphones were more an exception than a rule in that respect. Usually it takes longer to catch on.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Yeah, that's true. MSFT clearly wants in on the smartphone market, but they don't really need a consumer run away success. They just need something maybe five percent of people are interested in. A place to grow from.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
IMO:
Smartphones are done as far as design/features.

A new type of interface between user and device will be next I believe.

Technology in a slab is getting boring.
Of the platforms available for purchase right now they are essentially all the same.
Phone manufacturers tout or market their devices as some sort of breakthrough.

Face it...smartphones are stuck to the ceiling and won't bring forth anything that causes us all to faint.
The industry has finally stalled which is why Microsoft has backed away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb