Microsoft has let us down

Matt Folker

May 14, 2015
Visit site
First, let me say that I am a Microsoft Gold partner, and have been for years. I'm a huge fan and have all Windows 10 devices at home and work. From my phone, to Windows 10 Enterprise, to my three Server 2016's in my server rack at home and many 2012 R2's in my datacenter at work. However, Windows 10 Mobile must come to an end.

My current phone is the HP Elite X3, current on updates (10.0.15063.414) Here is my current bug list:

1. Spotify won't open most of the time and requires a phone reboot.
2. Screen rotation stops working after a day or two and requires a phone reboot.
3. Skype makes the phone extremely slow, I have to use the old school SMS Message app. Even when Skype is not in use, if I have opened it at any point after a restart, the entire phone slows way down.
4. WiFi stops working randomly and requires a phone reboot.
5. Camera app is extremely slow, only works well right after a reboot.
6. Many other apps no longer work or are terrible. Even the Facebook app is bad.

I'm at the point now where I just want a phone that works. I feel like many are jumping ship to other phones, can I ask what you are moving to? I have Office 365 and OneDrive is my life, so what phone works best with the Microsoft software packages?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with your x3. I have one and I haven't experienced any of those issues. Perhaps it would be a good time to do a WDRT reset. I would also suggest that you set it up as a new device. I've always found that restoring from a backup brings unwanted trouble.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yep, the Spotify app sucks. I've used Spotify, iTunes, Pandora, and Groove. And Groove on Windows 10 Mobile is the singled greatest music listening experience on any platform.​
2. Screen rotation stops working after a day or two and requires a phone reboot.
I don't have this issue.​
3. Skype makes the phone extremely slow, I have to use the old school SMS Message app. Even when Skype is not in use, if I have opened it at any point after a restart, the entire phone slows way down.
Yes, the Skype app definitely sucks for messaging. I use the default SMS messaging app. It's better in pretty much every way.​
6. Many other apps no longer work or are terrible. Even the Facebook app is bad.
Yes, the facebook app sucks. But I've heard it basically sucks one every platform. Check out the reviews on the iTunes store or Google Play. No one likes the Facebook app. What other apps are you experiencing issues with? Maybe we can try and help.​

On the whole, I agree with @fatclue_98. I think you'd benefit from a hard reset or a reset using the Windows Device Recovery Tool.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
First, let me say that I am a Microsoft Gold partner, and have been for years. I'm a huge fan and have all Windows 10 devices at home and work. From my phone, to Windows 10 Enterprise, to my three Server 2016's in my server rack at home and many 2012 R2's in my datacenter at work. However, Windows 10 Mobile must come to an end.

My current phone is the HP Elite X3, current on updates (10.0.15063.414) Here is my current bug list:

I'm at the point now where I just want a phone that works. I feel like many are jumping ship to other phones, can I ask what you are moving to? I have Office 365 and OneDrive is my life, so what phone works best with the Microsoft software packages?

Have you done any troubleshooting? If so what have you done?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Though no one has answered your question about phones and seem more concerned about helping you with the X3 issues I'll answer the question about phones.

Basically, any current generation Android or iPhone will work flawlessly with MS services. In some cases, better.

Really comes down to personal choice and how much you want to spend. Depends what ecosystem/software appeals to you more as well. With Android there's more choice but there can be hiccups with some devices. With iPhone you get what you get.

I personally use an Android phone but my choice is not a popular OEM. My main reason for choosing them is that their software is very light and they generally make great devices. I own a Sony XZ and I really like it. But that's my personal choice.

If you want some sort of PC experience on a phone then Samsung DEX might be up your alley.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Wow, that's a lot of bugs. Wonder whats going on there?

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
To the OP - have you updated to the latest firmware? Also, have you posted feedback?

That said, yes Skype on Windows Mobile is not usable as an SMS replacement. Way too slow.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Android is working well for me. I like you am all in with Microsoft. All Microsoft apps work very well on Android.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Really? Because I find Outlook mail and Outlook Calendar to be second class experiences to the way they run on, and integrate into, WP/W10M

I disagree partially.

While the integration was great - for example a calendar tile and a separate tile for each mailbox that could be pinned to start - the performance was mediocre.

Also, having a combined inbox is fantastic.

Check out the video showing the experience on a Iphone 7+ and a Elite X3

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FNyaTOtlhzs

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Lol, the video shows a dude opening an email on the X3 and iPhone 7. The Iphone opened the email in like 1/10th of a second faster.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Really? Because I find Outlook mail and Outlook Calendar to be second class experiences to the way they run on, and integrate into, WP/W10M.

And Cortana is hobbled.

What do you know that I don't?
Truth be told, he said they work very well, not better. I'm with you, the native experience is superior in spite of any performance differences. I understand @PerfectReign's video and it's true that the iPhone opens emails quicker, but I'll trade pinned accounts, custom notifications, bi-directional syncing and better contact integration for the 1/2 second speed difference. Let's not even talk about Cortana's broken legs on iOS or Android.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Fastest shmastest.

I DO NOT WANT Google having their hooks in my personal information so I don't try and integrate with G-calendar or G-mail. Nuh Unh, no way, you can't make me.

And that's what they want to do... Make you let them read all your stuff. I'd rather not even have that stuff on my phone then if Google is ENTITLED to all my emails, contacts, appointments. They want to make me believe they are, but really they are NOT.

So just using the Outlook Mail and Calendar widgets stinks.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Fastest shmastest.

I DO NOT WANT Google having their hooks in my personal information so I don't try and integrate with G-calendar or G-mail. Nuh Unh, no way, you can't make me.

And that's what they want to do... Make you let them read all your stuff. I'd rather not even have that stuff on my phone then if Google is ENTITLED to all my emails, contacts, appointments. They want to make me believe they are, but really they are NOT.

I tried looking up "shmastest" in the dictionary and couldn't find it. 🤣

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Really? Because I find Outlook mail and Outlook Calendar to be second class experiences to the way they run on, and integrate into, WP/W10M.

And Cortana is hobbled.

What do you know that I don't?
Of course Cortana is second class on Android. I'm talking about Office apps, One Drive and Outlook. Outlook runs just fine, not sure why you would have an issue with it. In fact deleting emails is easier on Android than Win 10 mobile

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Fastest shmastest.

MS has thier hooks in too, don't be fooled. No one is transparent on the internet. Do you have a Facebook account? They have hooks too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss