Microsoft silent on windows mobile future

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
There is no words from Microsoft will they made any new phone or not and will they add any new features to windows 10 mobile insider build.
Recently cshell shown by windows central gives some hope.but Microsoft may cancel it any time, just they did with Lumia phones,surface mini,lumia tablets etc
Your thoughts

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
We just don't know. I believe Windows Mobile on ARM32 is effectively end of life. I.e. I don't believe current phones won't gain any more features from here. But will there be a mobile device running ARM64 with other features? Maybe is the best we can say.

The world has given up on Windows Mobile. From all outward signs, Microsoft are not doing anything new on mobile, so realistically we have to say Android or iOS are the current best mobile platforms for the foreseeable future.

Ray Picone

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
It seems like Microsoft has given up on Windows Phone. It is such a shame. I still am actively using my Lumia 640 along with my Galaxy S7. I still love some of the features on the Windows phone. The way I can get my text messages read to me and have the choice of responding back with my voice. I have not had that same option on my Galaxy phone. But it just seems slowly over the last year I have seen more and more things pointing to Windows phone not being around AT&T doesn't sell any low-end Windows Go phones anymore. Now you can find plenty of Android Go phones.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
That's really just not MSFTs game play is how I see it. They want an OS that can scale to various input and output methods. Something that is "futureproof".

So they need effectively, something with a small screen, that is in use. ATM they have windows phones. If that putters out, they will want something else.

In the long term, its hard to imagine people in 2050 using slab phones. They have been around enough to see computing go through many phases. I think their mentality is they want to be ahead of those changes, rather than chasing the present.

Does that mean they probably want to continue in mobile for now? IMO yes. In some form or other. Their continued work on win10m is suggestive that this OS forms some form of basis for ongoing work, whether as a core SKU, or as a part of something that will one day be merged.

I don't see them entirely giving up on small screens right now. But I also don't see them seeing that, as the be all and end all, forever future.

The interesting aspect of all this, is the merger, that is still a work in progress. Windows on x64, on arm64, and x86. UWP on HoloLens, on hub, and on phone. Its foundational work on an OS, that isn't dependant on the changing tides of technology. Something with its eyes on the horizon.

That's not a method that's always going to pay off in every field, nor is it something with immediate consumer gratification. But as a corporate strategy is one that hopefully avoids a sudden shift in technology from making their entire core business redundant, as could happen with too many eggs in one basket.

They might fail and re-entrench in some niche. Or they might succeed and win the future.

On the topic of silence - apple never pre-announced the iPhone. Apple has a secret AR project. Facebook a secret VR project. Microsoft is working on its Andromeda project, and google on fushia. Companies don't tend to leak too much information as to give their competitors a heads up. I think it likely that when it comes to phones, MSFT doesn't want to give to much away.

That doesn't mean their plans will be a wild success, or they have Skynet, sitting in a testlab. But silence is sometimes a nessesity.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
That's really just not MSFTs game play is how I see it. They want an OS that can scale to various input and output methods. Something that is "futureproof".

So they need effectively, something with a small screen, that is in use. ATM they have windows phones. If that putters out, they will want something else.

That's also how I see it.

Jackie Earley

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
How I look at it is if they do have something, they won't mention it due to competitors. However, they can help increase the potential for failure of a new device by consistently shipping their products to iOS and Android first and sometimes only those platforms. Microsoft being silent on mobile is giving devs more reasons to neglect UWP because if Microsoft isn't pushing UWP themselves with the apps they and their child companies make, why should they?

We have been seeing more apps disappear, lose functionality, or stop working completely due to abandonment. Their silence on Windows 10 Mobile says that they are not interested in it, plain and simple. They are focused on Windows on ARM and cshell as the future of Windows everywhere. Windows 10 Mobile will get left behind but it doesn't mean those who have W10M phones won't get new apps. UWP ensures that won't happen at least for the near future like it was for WP8/8.1 when W10M came out.

If they are indeed making a Surface "mobile", they definitely won't talk about it if that is the successor to the Lumia 950/XL. That could be the reason. UWP will make the transition easy but too much silence will result in an empty Store leaving the Surface "mobile" to be DOA.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
How I look at it is if they do have something, they won't mention it due to competitors. However, they can help increase the potential for failure of a new device by consistently shipping their products to iOS and Android first and sometimes only those platforms. Microsoft being silent on mobile is giving devs more reasons to neglect UWP because if Microsoft isn't pushing UWP themselves with the apps they and their child companies make, why should they?

We have been seeing more apps disappear, lose functionality, or stop working completely due to abandonment. Their silence on Windows 10 Mobile says that they are not interested in it, plain and simple. They are focused on Windows on ARM and cshell as the future of Windows everywhere. Windows 10 Mobile will get left behind but it doesn't mean those who have W10M phones won't get new apps. UWP ensures that won't happen at least for the near future like it was for WP8/8.1 when W10M came out.

If they are indeed making a Surface "mobile", they definitely won't talk about it if that is the successor to the Lumia 950/XL. That could be the reason. UWP will make the transition easy but too much silence will result in an empty Store leaving the Surface "mobile" to be DOA.

But UWP authors aren't leaving. Indeed they are "coming". All the big new game titles are UWP. There's plenty of third party devs making music players, photo apps, social networking etc.

Silverlight app makers are the ones leaving. The ones that came in specifically for mobile, and not for 'the whole platform'. So there's a sort of "coming and going".

ali80

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I left windows phone year ago because I damaged my L930. I had to get Xiaomi mi5 because it was the only phone available with great specifications and low price. My mind still with windows to this moment but I don't know what is happening. Really sad about the great OS that I enjoyed more than iOS & Android.

I was planning to get alcatel but it seems MS gave up already on their phones OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99