09-02-2017 03:45 PM
78 1234
tools
    American "football". LOL.
    Go FC Bayern!
    07-08-2017 10:28 AM
    Now your just getting philosophical XD Windows already shares a single core. Is it really many different OSes right now? What about when it shares cshell as well, and the only difference is the middle layers?
    I think you are right when you say that UWP app works across different form factors thanks to adaptive trigger. But I guess Windows 10 needs a phone (hardware) to gain momentum. And by ignoring WP hardware, Microsoft is committing a huge mistake. As they said, "If no one will make WP, we will make it". So make it.
    07-08-2017 07:21 PM
    Ok, I just have to ask:

How come people keep bringing up their own phone's problems and apply them to the OS as a whole, when those problems are so clearly a fringe case which points the finger at a hardware issue rather than an OS issue?

I mean, if you really have those problems don't you get that it's NOT the OS? If you have all of those issues on your 950, and I have none of them, how on earth is that the fault of the OS? We've got the same phone!!!

Don't judge the OS based on your faulty hardware. It's that type of information that makes people distrust the OS and MS.
    Well, based on what I've read on these forums I would hardly call my experience a "fringe case."

In any event, I think you need to put yourself in the shoes of a normal consumer. To us, hardware and software are basically one and the same. If my device doesn't work properly it almost doesn't matter why; the user experience is poor. Whether hardware or software is to blame is irrelevant as the end result is not what was promised by the manufacturer.

Think of it this way. Honda's Civic could be the most reliable, fuel-efficient, comfortable, spacious, best-priced vehicle in its class, but, as a customer, if the dealership you purchase from jerks you around, charges more than sticker and/or won't cover problems under warranty you might be inclined to never buy another Honda again. The car itself could be fine, but the overall experience was not, souring you to the brand.

Perhaps my standards for quality and reliability are just higher than most.
    TgeekB and libra89 like this.
    07-09-2017 12:24 AM
    Well, based on what I've read on these forums I would hardly call my experience a "fringe case."

In any event, I think you need to put yourself in the shoes of a normal consumer. To us, hardware and software are basically one and the same. If my device doesn't work properly it almost doesn't matter why; the user experience is poor. Whether hardware or software is to blame is irrelevant as the end result is not what was promised by the manufacturer.

Think of it this way. Honda's Civic could be the most reliable, fuel-efficient, comfortable, spacious, best-priced vehicle in its class, but, as a customer, if the dealership you purchase from jerks you around, charges more than sticker and/or won't cover problems under warranty you might be inclined to never buy another Honda again. The car itself could be fine, but the overall experience was not, souring you to the brand.

This is the same type of reasoning that leads sports players to wear "lucky" socks.

There was a study where they said a placed people in a room and said that a specific series of actions would trigger a reward. There was a series of buttons, and people tried everything from standing in certain positions, vocalisations, certain combinations of buttons, touching the ceiling, and by the end virtually ever participant was convinced they had worked out the code.

There was no code. The activation of the reward was randomised.
    07-09-2017 04:24 AM
    Out of all the possible (set of) issues one may have on a phone it is though. For the most part I see the odd bug described, the odd issue with not understanding functionality or why something is missing. It's not typical for users to have all those problems at the same time while them then being due to the OS.

In other words; if you take all of the complaints you find and subtract all of the ones that are just one complaint or maybe two, and then also subtract all the cases where those that had many issues at the same time got them solved by replacing the battery, you end up with your case (while unsolved) being a fringe case in my opinion.

It's not irrelevant if you're going to talk about it and tell people that one is the problem and not the other. Your words have meaning. When you tell people the OS isn't working that means nobody can really get a Win10M phone without thinking it's not going to work, because they all contain the same OS. Just because you're disappointed doesn't mean that your description is either true or 'good'.

So now I'm wondering if you've tried replacing the battery or if you plan to. Because the rational thing to do is to try to make the device work or at least find out what the truth is - IF you're going to keep talking about it.

That has almost nothing to do with it.
    07-09-2017 12:03 PM
    Microsoft did not shutter mobile. They dropped manufacturing and were correct in doing so. Nokia was a drag on resources and switching to Android was not the savior some had hoped for. BlackBerry has done the same with TCL now building their phones.

Windows 10 Mobile is still receiving updates and the Insider builds continue. That's not the hallmark of an abandoned OS. There may not be any Microsoft-branded phones for sale but you can walk into a Microsoft Store and walk away with a new Elite x3. Maybe you find the x3's asking price too stiff, I know I do, but the clients Microsoft has decided to go after won't balk at those prices.

Microsoft and BlackBerry have chosen a similar path and we consumers ain't it. I put the blame squarely on those who wouldn't support any other Windows phone not made by Nokia. I know my favorite Windows phones have all been non-Nokias - Ativ SE, One M8, Idol 4S and Elite x3. The 1520 was the best Nokia ever on WM and the b******g and moaning here about the phantom touches would make you think it was the Yugo of phonedom.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk
    I tried to buy an elite x3 in store and couldnt find one
    07-10-2017 07:27 AM
    I tried to buy an elite x3 in store and couldnt find one
    What store? Online? in a city? Did you ask a sales representative?
    07-10-2017 10:19 AM
    What store? Online? in a city? Did you ask a sales representative?
    Atlanta, GA. The sales rep checked every store in Atlanta and surrounding states. No stock. I travel all over the US for work and checked stores everywhere i went to no avail. I stopped looking after a week. That was a month ago. Has this changed?
    07-10-2017 01:09 PM
    I have no idea. But if it's being sold then surely the store can get it. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case (meaning that if you can buy it online in MS' store then surely a physical store should be able to get one).
    07-10-2017 01:13 PM
    I have no idea. But if it's being sold then surely the store can get it. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case (meaning that if you can buy it online in MS' store then surely a physical store should be able to get one).
    Ordering it is a problem for me because i travel so much. I can't have it sitting on my doorstep for weeks. Maybe ill check the stores again.
    07-10-2017 01:16 PM
    Atlanta, GA. The sales rep checked every store in Atlanta and surrounding states. No stock. I travel all over the US for work and checked stores everywhere i went to no avail. I stopped looking after a week. That was a month ago. Has this changed?
    When I was looking for the HP cover for mine, the store website showed none in stock. One of the stores is 2 blocks from one of my jobsites so I stopped in for snits and giggles. They had the phone, lapdock and both covers. HP and Incipio. If there are stores nearby, I would pay them a visit.
    07-10-2017 01:43 PM
    Ordering it is a problem for me because i travel so much. I can't have it sitting on my doorstep for weeks. Maybe ill check the stores again.
    What I meant was that you call the store and tell them that you want to get an X3. They order it to the store and then you go there and check it out once it's in. For a lot of products and stores that's how they go about it. Last time I did it was with on-sale running shoes!
    07-10-2017 01:51 PM
    When I was looking for the HP cover for mine, the store website showed none in stock. One of the stores is 2 blocks from one of my jobsites so I stopped in for snits and giggles. They had the phone, lapdock and both covers. HP and Incipio. If there are stores nearby, I would pay them a visit.
    What city?
    07-10-2017 02:23 PM
    What I meant was that you call the store and tell them that you want to get an X3. They order it to the store and then you go there and check it out once it's in. For a lot of products and stores that's how they go about it. Last time I did it was with on-sale running shoes!
    I just tried that and they said they dont take orders over the phone for ship to store for security reasons. I dont buy that because i do it at Walmart all the time. The rep did find stock at a store and is having them hold it for a couple of days. Hopefully I can get there.
    07-10-2017 02:27 PM
    What city?
    Miami
    07-10-2017 03:24 PM
    The problem is most people are unlikely to jump through hoops to get a phone when there are plenty of others to choose from and are readily available.
    07-10-2017 07:48 PM
    The problem is most people are unlikely to jump through hoops to get a phone when there are plenty of others to choose from and are readily available.
    Of course. I don't think anybody is disputing that MS is making zero effort to sell W10M phones.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-11-2017 09:07 AM
    And can do more in terms of apps.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-11-2017 09:19 AM
    And can do more in terms of apps.
    Also true.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-11-2017 09:37 AM
    Whether anything is a strategic blunder would require the length and breadth of history to evaluate correctly.

What has lost MSFT the battle in terms of current smartphones, could by virtue of the direction it has sent them in, end up winning them the war.

Mistakes, or benefits, are only such in terms of the specific standard they are being compared to - the specific output, much like the idea of "good" or "bad". In the end, what might be perceived as a strategic blunder, could either be the smartest move ever, in the long run, or some happy accidental fortune.

Or it might be a strategic blunder. But nothing is ever complete or a totality. All outcomes, all time, or all knowledge is never possessed.

Unless the sun goes out, and we are all dust, then perhaps, we can call it a totality. But then I am fairly sure no one will care about smartphones.
    07-11-2017 11:33 AM
    "Mistakes, or benefits, are only such in terms of the specific standard they are being compared to - the specific output, much like the idea of "good" or "bad". In the end, what might be perceived as a strategic blunder, could either be the smartest move ever, in the long run, or some happy accidental fortune."

That's fine but only to a certain point. The Herschel Walker trade was bad on Day 1 and even more ridiculous almost 30 years later.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-11-2017 02:47 PM
    You also need to learn from your mistakes, or blunders, and perform better the next time. That is what we're waiting to see.
    libra89 and fatclue_98 like this.
    07-11-2017 04:16 PM
    The frequency at which I see the statement "Available on iOS & Android" today has increased 3 to 4 times than before Lumia 950. There is certainly a problem for Windows 10 users. Not sure about Microsoft though. They do not even acknowledge this problem. What to do.....
    08-11-2017 04:13 AM
    I think you are right when you say that UWP app works across different form factors thanks to adaptive trigger. But I guess Windows 10 needs a phone (hardware) to gain momentum. And by ignoring WP hardware, Microsoft is committing a huge mistake. As they said, "If no one will make WP, we will make it". So make it.
    Apparently Nadella was being very literal. Ooo...shiney Wileyfox with 210 processor. Ugh.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-02-2017 10:13 AM
    Apparently Nadella was being very literal. Ooo...shiney Wileyfox with 210 processor. Ugh.
    I wouldn't even consider that as a new phone coming out. It's old hardware that is probably only good for corporate use or people wanting a cheap phone. Nothing to get excited about, as you pointed out.
    09-02-2017 10:24 AM
78 1234