A strategic blunder by Microsoft

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Yes, Microsoft is delivering updates, but in my opinion they're just spinning their tires. Sure, W10M is galaxies ahead of the horrifying state it was released a year and a half ago (or whenever it was made public), but my 950 is still an unmitigated piece of crap, constantly missing notifications and dropping WiFi connectivity; glance screen is broken, Bluetooth music playback is at best sketchy, the photos app loves to crash. I could go on but I don't feel like making myself more depressed. :crying:

Ok, I just have to ask:

How come people keep bringing up their own phone's problems and apply them to the OS as a whole, when those problems are so clearly a fringe case which points the finger at a hardware issue rather than an OS issue?

I mean, if you really have those problems don't you get that it's NOT the OS? If you have all of those issues on your 950, and I have none of them, how on earth is that the fault of the OS? We've got the same phone!!!

Don't judge the OS based on your faulty hardware. It's that type of information that makes people distrust the OS and MS.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I just have to ask:

How come people keep bringing up their own phone's problems and apply them to the OS as a whole, when those problems are so clearly a fringe case which points the finger at a hardware issue rather than an OS issue?

I mean, if you really have those problems don't you get that it's NOT the OS? If you have all of those issues on your 950, and I have none of them, how on earth is that the fault of the OS? We've got the same phone!!!

Don't judge the OS based on your faulty hardware. It's that type of information that makes people distrust the OS and MS.
Exactly. Not every Pinto exploded and not every Explorer rolled over.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I just have to ask:

I think there's two truths here.
First, people do like to attribute their problems to everyone. If Sprint has terrible coverage at my house, it does not necessarily mean it has bad coverage everywhere. People get upset and blow things out of proportion.
Second, people like to go to extremes. I would be willing to bet that while Windows phones are not completely horrible, they are also not completely perfect. If mine works and yours is terrible, it doesn't mean either situation is true of everyone.
All we can do for sure is look at facts. They don't sell very well. While they may work for a small percentage of people, there is obviously an issue. The "issue" can be argued ad nauseum, which is what these forums are for.

Exactly. Not every Pinto exploded and not every Explorer rolled over.

Yes, but when they did people died. Doesn't make for good sales!

Last edited by a moderator:

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site

So in the interest of carrying the analogy forward; how many blamed Android for exploding Samsung phones?

People LOVE to crap on Microsoft. LOVE it. Seriously. It happens far more often than not. I swear to god; if Steve Jobs had presented a feature that functioned exactly like Continuum but on the iPhone then all iPhone users would have hailed him as god and claimed this was the next huge innovation. And I do mean the same functionality - equally "poor" as some people put it. MS does it and nobody cares, because the general perception is that MS isn't about the future or originality or innovation.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
So in the interest of carrying the analogy forward; how many blamed Android for exploding Samsung phones?

People LOVE to crap on Microsoft. LOVE it. Seriously. It happens far more often than not. I swear to god; if Steve Jobs had presented a feature that functioned exactly like Continuum but on the iPhone then all iPhone users would have hailed him as god and claimed this was the next huge innovation. And I do mean the same functionality - equally "poor" as some people put it. MS does it and nobody cares, because the general perception is that MS isn't about the future or originality or innovation.

Go to Crackberry and people will say the same thing.
Go to iMore and people will say the same thing.
It's all in your perspective. If people can't see past their own experience they don't get it.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

People LOVE to crap on Microsoft. LOVE it.

I would say this is as simple as "home team mentality" syndrome. Team Apple = a large percentage; Team Android = a larger percentage (with the successful efforts of the OEM, Samsung); and then we have our team: Team Windows = very, very, very small percentage. The opposing teams are always going to trash talk the other teams...human nature. If we get some W's in the win column, than we'll get more fans....unless the team happens to be the Patriots...then we'll just have to let history do the cheering:)

Go Pats!!!!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

It was only for the purpose of analogy. It's tragic that people died but those were automobile accidents and who's to say that people who were rear-ended in their Pintos wouldn't have died anyway - from their injuries for example. Explorers weren't the only SUVs that rolled over but the laws of probabilities state that if a vehicle with the sales figures of an Explorer would be more than likely to roll over than say a GMC Jimmy which was outsold by a crazy margin. Now, if we're talking about a Suzuki Samurai, that's different.

People love to exaggerate when there's some form of controversy. The Concorde had ONE accident throughout its entire time in service and was immediately grounded and never flew again. The bats**t crazy part of it was that the accident was caused by negligence from a groundcrew member working on a different aircraft. The Concorde ran over debris from a departing aircraft, blew out a tire and the resulting disintegration of the tire caused a piece of the carcass to shred the compressor section in one of the engines. How the **** is that the Concorde's fault?

I would say this is as simple as "home team mentality" syndrome. Team Apple = a large percentage; Team Android = a larger percentage (with the successful efforts of the OEM, Samsung); and then we have our team: Team Windows = very, very, very small percentage. The opposing teams are always going to trash talk the other teams...human nature. If we get some W's in the win column, than we'll get more fans....unless the team happens to be the Patriots...then we'll just have to let history do the cheering:)

Go Pats!!!!

I'm a Dolphins fan - get out of here with that Patriots garbage!!!! :eck:

As for putting up more Ws in the win column producing fans, I'll have you know I'm also a diehard Marlins fan and less than 1 week after they took that Cleveland a** in the '97 Series (Sorry Laura) Fire Sale #1 came. History repeated itself after the team was rebuilt and spanked some Yankee a** in the 2003 Series. Makes me wonder if Nadella and Jeffrey Loria are somehow related.

Last edited by a moderator:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The Concorde had ONE accident throughout its entire time in service and was immediately grounded and never flew again.

I agree with your points, but a little correction is needed here. The accident happened in July 2000. The entire fleet of Concordes of both British Airways and Air France were grounded, but they did fly again for a couple years after modifications. They quit flying for good in 2003; Air France in May and British Airways in October.

I remember right before they were permanently retired, British Airways offered a fantastic deal, something like $1,000 round trip between London Heathrow and Kennedy in New York City, one way on Concorde and the other way by subsonic jet. It was basically to give enthusiasts a chance to take an otherwise unaffordable ride. I didn't do it, but as an aviation enthusiast it spites me now I didn't. If the last day flying was tomorrow and they announced the deal today, I'd be on my way to JFK right now!

after they took that Cleveland a** in the '97 Series (Sorry Laura)

<snip>

spanked some Yankee a** in the 2003 Series

Ha, this reminds me of Dave Barry, one of the finest columnists to ever grace the pages of the daily newspaper. In one of his articles he said something about the Marlins winning the World Series again in 2003, and I quote "...which we do like clockwork every six years"!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with your points, but a little correction is needed here. The accident happened in July 2000. The entire fleet of Concordes of both British Airways and Air France were grounded, but they did fly again for a couple years after modifications. They quit flying for good in 2003; Air France in May and British Airways in October.

I remember right before they were permanently retired, British Airways offered a fantastic deal, something like $1,000 round trip between London Heathrow and Kennedy in New York City, one way on Concorde and the other way by subsonic jet. It was basically to give enthusiasts a chance to take an otherwise unaffordable ride. I didn't do it, but as an aviation enthusiast it spites me now I didn't. If the last day flying was tomorrow and they announced the deal today, I'd be on my way to JFK right now!

Ha, this reminds me of Dave Barry, one of the finest columnists to ever grace the pages of the daily newspaper. In one of his articles he said something about the Marlins winning the World Series again in 2003, and I quote "...which we do like clockwork every six years"!
Dave Barry is/was a local treasure indeed. Miss his column in the Miami Herald.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Now your just getting philosophical XD Windows already shares a single core. Is it really many different OSes right now? What about when it shares cshell as well, and the only difference is the middle layers?
I think you are right when you say that UWP app works across different form factors thanks to adaptive trigger. But I guess Windows 10 needs a phone (hardware) to gain momentum. And by ignoring WP hardware, Microsoft is committing a huge mistake. As they said, "If no one will make WP, we will make it". So make it.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I just have to ask:

Well, based on what I've read on these forums I would hardly call my experience a "fringe case."

In any event, I think you need to put yourself in the shoes of a normal consumer. To us, hardware and software are basically one and the same. If my device doesn't work properly it almost doesn't matter why; the user experience is poor. Whether hardware or software is to blame is irrelevant as the end result is not what was promised by the manufacturer.

Think of it this way. Honda's Civic could be the most reliable, fuel-efficient, comfortable, spacious, best-priced vehicle in its class, but, as a customer, if the dealership you purchase from jerks you around, charges more than sticker and/or won't cover problems under warranty you might be inclined to never buy another Honda again. The car itself could be fine, but the overall experience was not, souring you to the brand.

Perhaps my standards for quality and reliability are just higher than most.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Well, based on what I've read on these forums I would hardly call my experience a "fringe case."

In any event, I think you need to put yourself in the shoes of a normal consumer. To us, hardware and software are basically one and the same. If my device doesn't work properly it almost doesn't matter why; the user experience is poor. Whether hardware or software is to blame is irrelevant as the end result is not what was promised by the manufacturer.

Think of it this way. Honda's Civic could be the most reliable, fuel-efficient, comfortable, spacious, best-priced vehicle in its class, but, as a customer, if the dealership you purchase from jerks you around, charges more than sticker and/or won't cover problems under warranty you might be inclined to never buy another Honda again. The car itself could be fine, but the overall experience was not, souring you to the brand.

This is the same type of reasoning that leads sports players to wear "lucky" socks.

There was a study where they said a placed people in a room and said that a specific series of actions would trigger a reward. There was a series of buttons, and people tried everything from standing in certain positions, vocalisations, certain combinations of buttons, touching the ceiling, and by the end virtually ever participant was convinced they had worked out the code.

There was no code. The activation of the reward was randomised.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site

Out of all the possible (set of) issues one may have on a phone it is though. For the most part I see the odd bug described, the odd issue with not understanding functionality or why something is missing. It's not typical for users to have all those problems at the same time while them then being due to the OS.

In other words; if you take all of the complaints you find and subtract all of the ones that are just one complaint or maybe two, and then also subtract all the cases where those that had many issues at the same time got them solved by replacing the battery, you end up with your case (while unsolved) being a fringe case in my opinion.

It's not irrelevant if you're going to talk about it and tell people that one is the problem and not the other. Your words have meaning. When you tell people the OS isn't working that means nobody can really get a Win10M phone without thinking it's not going to work, because they all contain the same OS. Just because you're disappointed doesn't mean that your description is either true or 'good'.

So now I'm wondering if you've tried replacing the battery or if you plan to. Because the rational thing to do is to try to make the device work or at least find out what the truth is - IF you're going to keep talking about it.

That has almost nothing to do with it.

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft did not shutter mobile. They dropped manufacturing and were correct in doing so. Nokia was a drag on resources and switching to Android was not the savior some had hoped for. BlackBerry has done the same with TCL now building their phones.

Windows 10 Mobile is still receiving updates and the Insider builds continue. That's not the hallmark of an abandoned OS. There may not be any Microsoft-branded phones for sale but you can walk into a Microsoft Store and walk away with a new Elite x3. Maybe you find the x3's asking price too stiff, I know I do, but the clients Microsoft has decided to go after won't balk at those prices.

Microsoft and BlackBerry have chosen a similar path and we consumers ain't it. I put the blame squarely on those who wouldn't support any other Windows phone not made by Nokia. I know my favorite Windows phones have all been non-Nokias - Ativ SE, One M8, Idol 4S and Elite x3. The 1520 was the best Nokia ever on WM and the b******g and moaning here about the phantom touches would make you think it was the Yugo of phonedom.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

I tried to buy an elite x3 in store and couldnt find one

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
What store? Online? in a city? Did you ask a sales representative?

Atlanta, GA. The sales rep checked every store in Atlanta and surrounding states. No stock. I travel all over the US for work and checked stores everywhere i went to no avail. I stopped looking after a week. That was a month ago. Has this changed?

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I have no idea. But if it's being sold then surely the store can get it. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case (meaning that if you can buy it online in MS' store then surely a physical store should be able to get one).

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea. But if it's being sold then surely the store can get it. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case (meaning that if you can buy it online in MS' store then surely a physical store should be able to get one).

Ordering it is a problem for me because i travel so much. I can't have it sitting on my doorstep for weeks. Maybe ill check the stores again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb