A strategic blunder by Microsoft

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Atlanta, GA. The sales rep checked every store in Atlanta and surrounding states. No stock. I travel all over the US for work and checked stores everywhere i went to no avail. I stopped looking after a week. That was a month ago. Has this changed?
When I was looking for the HP cover for mine, the store website showed none in stock. One of the stores is 2 blocks from one of my jobsites so I stopped in for snits and giggles. They had the phone, lapdock and both covers. HP and Incipio. If there are stores nearby, I would pay them a visit.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Ordering it is a problem for me because i travel so much. I can't have it sitting on my doorstep for weeks. Maybe ill check the stores again.

What I meant was that you call the store and tell them that you want to get an X3. They order it to the store and then you go there and check it out once it's in. For a lot of products and stores that's how they go about it. Last time I did it was with on-sale running shoes!

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
When I was looking for the HP cover for mine, the store website showed none in stock. One of the stores is 2 blocks from one of my jobsites so I stopped in for snits and giggles. They had the phone, lapdock and both covers. HP and Incipio. If there are stores nearby, I would pay them a visit.

What city?

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
What I meant was that you call the store and tell them that you want to get an X3. They order it to the store and then you go there and check it out once it's in. For a lot of products and stores that's how they go about it. Last time I did it was with on-sale running shoes!

I just tried that and they said they dont take orders over the phone for ship to store for security reasons. I dont buy that because i do it at Walmart all the time. The rep did find stock at a store and is having them hold it for a couple of days. Hopefully I can get there.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The problem is most people are unlikely to jump through hoops to get a phone when there are plenty of others to choose from and are readily available.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Whether anything is a strategic blunder would require the length and breadth of history to evaluate correctly.

What has lost MSFT the battle in terms of current smartphones, could by virtue of the direction it has sent them in, end up winning them the war.

Mistakes, or benefits, are only such in terms of the specific standard they are being compared to - the specific output, much like the idea of "good" or "bad". In the end, what might be perceived as a strategic blunder, could either be the smartest move ever, in the long run, or some happy accidental fortune.

Or it might be a strategic blunder. But nothing is ever complete or a totality. All outcomes, all time, or all knowledge is never possessed.

Unless the sun goes out, and we are all dust, then perhaps, we can call it a totality. But then I am fairly sure no one will care about smartphones.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
"Mistakes, or benefits, are only such in terms of the specific standard they are being compared to - the specific output, much like the idea of "good" or "bad". In the end, what might be perceived as a strategic blunder, could either be the smartest move ever, in the long run, or some happy accidental fortune."

That's fine but only to a certain point. The Herschel Walker trade was bad on Day 1 and even more ridiculous almost 30 years later.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The frequency at which I see the statement "Available on iOS & Android" today has increased 3 to 4 times than before Lumia 950. There is certainly a problem for Windows 10 users. Not sure about Microsoft though. They do not even acknowledge this problem. What to do.....

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I think you are right when you say that UWP app works across different form factors thanks to adaptive trigger. But I guess Windows 10 needs a phone (hardware) to gain momentum. And by ignoring WP hardware, Microsoft is committing a huge mistake. As they said, "If no one will make WP, we will make it". So make it.

Apparently Nadella was being very literal. Ooo...shiney Wileyfox with 210 processor. Ugh.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Apparently Nadella was being very literal. Ooo...shiney Wileyfox with 210 processor. Ugh.

I wouldn't even consider that as a new phone coming out. It's old hardware that is probably only good for corporate use or people wanting a cheap phone. Nothing to get excited about, as you pointed out.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't even consider that as a new phone coming out. It's old hardware that is probably only good for corporate use or people wanting a cheap phone. Nothing to get excited about, as you pointed out.
I think Continuum is almost a requirement for corporate use and the 210 doesn't qualify. I don't know how 250 Euros qualifies as cheap either. This looks like garbage to me.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The Wileyfox Swift 2X has 3gb ram, 32gb storage, 5.2" 1080p IPS screen. It runs a SD435, which certainly isn't the fastest chipset but coupled with a very stock version of Android it runs well. It is regularly available from Amazon for £179. A lower spec version can be had for £119.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers