The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-28-2017 12:42 PM
135 12345 ...
tools
    I really want another phone to replace my 950xl. Dreading having to buy an android. So far in looking at oneplus 5 but not convinced yet.
    07-20-2017 11:56 AM
    I have both the 950 & 950XL. I love the phones. I will continue using them for as long as Microsoft provides security patching for them and Microsoft apps (Office, Films & TV, Groove, Skype) are supported. Continuum is brilliant. I have not felt the need to upgrade to a different phone since getting the 950s. I plan to purchase a Surface Phone as soon as soon as the unicorn makes an appearance. If I should lose or break one, I will first see if I can buy new cheaply, and if not, look for a used 950(xl) phone.

If Microsoft stops supporting Windows Mobile - by which I mean security patching & Microsoft apps - then I will likely go with whichever phone brand has the best camera and Microsoft eco-system integration at a reasonable price. Camera is key. I will be gutted if Microsoft stops supporting Windows Mobile and doesn't provide a Films & TV app for other mobile operating systems. I have a lot invested in the xBox Windows Film store and like being able to play them back on my 950XL to the Microsoft wireless TV adapter.
    07-20-2017 11:59 AM
    i dont change phones easily but since my 930 has problems recently i send it to service shop without any luck of fixing it so im even considering buying online a 950. Seems asian market has stock after looking around but my concern is if its real and not some fake replica. hell i would even buy another 930 but if i dont have a choice a chinese android would be my choice at max 200-250 euros. Im not giving 500+euros for the "hot/cool" phones. If i change ill come back if there are windows phones again.
    07-20-2017 12:13 PM
    I want to buy another Windows phone. The Lumia 950xl is excellent with an amazing camera 📷. I really hope a Surface our Windows phone is coming out. I'll buy one. I just don't know apple our android systems.
    07-20-2017 12:20 PM
    It depends. Personally I have recommended a family member to go for a low end windows 10 mobile device. I would recommend them a nokia or microsoft lumia device, simply because they are the most around, people have the most experience with them and they are overall reliable devices. I wouldn't recommend a high end device. Specs might be a bit better and you might get a bigger battery, but they're not worth the investment. The high end devices are good for one thing and that is a better reading and viewing experience due to the larger screen.
    Camera's are decent but there are better camera's out there. Overall my expereince is that windows 10 mobile camera's tend to be more on the warmer side. iPhone and Android are more on the bluish tainted side. It's a personal preference what looks better.
    I would not invest in any windows 10 mobile device because of continuum. The expereince and productivity in my experience is half baked. There are too few uwp apps accessible via continuum at this point in time. Secondly access to only one app at a time in continuum on a secondary monitor is not very productive for business use. I think the minimum should be two. Cshell is just around the corner, but will likley not be compatible with all current devices on the market at official launch. I think having the option to open more than two windows is not perse necassary in this mobile formfactor for windows 10 mobile. I think it is better to look forward and wait what windows 10 on arm brings to the table. I think a minimum of two apps that I can snap side by side in windows 10 mobile would suffice my personal an business needs to seriously consider moving from the laptop or tablet pc to a windows 10 mobile device for personal and business use. But windows 10 mobile is not ready in its current form, and the indirect message, I think microsoft is sending, is that they really want to start with a clean slate of hardware experiences with the fall creators update. In that regard I don’t think its wise to invest in any windows 10 mobile device (nokia, hp, alcaltel, acer, hp or any other brand) at this point in time.
    But if continuum doesn’t matter then it is still a good experience to buy into. I can’t speak for brand relcognition in mobile for windows 10 mobile for hp or alcaltel, because they are still relatively new in the windows mobile ecosystem and still have to prove their reliability.
    There have been some worries about apps disappearing from the store. In my region of the Netherlands, Europe, I have not noticed this to be an issue to date. The top 10 apps I really need are provided in the windows store. The apps are regularly updated and work fine for my needs. The killer feature I still love over the other platforms are the live tiles. A great experience on windows 10 mobile. I am hoping they will expand this feature with more features in the near future. It would give a boost to the overall experience on any windows 10 device.
    07-20-2017 12:51 PM
    Exactly! Incidentally, just last week I had to go to the AT&T store to get a new sim card to reactivate my 640 after I ditched Android, and the guy there tried to talk me out of it. I wasn't making a purchase either way -- I already own both phones, so he had nothing to gain.

I gave him an earful about how employees like him were partly responsible for the failure of WM, as they nearly refused to sell it. When I took my mom to get her a 920 back in the day, I had to insist that was what we wanted. They didn't even want to show us one (of course, there were none on display), preferring to push an iPhone or Galaxy instead. And this was not an isolated incident.
    What do you expect, sales people are not agnostic. Sales people are coin operated, always have been and always will be, they sale what provides the most return to them. They sale what provides the biggest commissions and incentives. Microsoft is VERY familiar with this process, they have just chosen to to work with mobile networks and providers to provide incentives and commissions.
    07-20-2017 01:08 PM
    Microsoft is not helping its own ecosystem by building apps for other platform when Windows Mobile is on a terminal deathbed. It will be a bad investment to even consider sticking around hoping for a better tomorrow.
    CraigCole and myfyp2 like this.
    07-20-2017 01:53 PM
    The OP makes a good point about the disappearing apps in the Windows Store. At this point with all of Microsofts missteps and with Nadella telegraphing to the shareholders and investors his focus on AI and cloud I wonder how stable even Windows is going forward Google and Apple are at this point eating their lunch in education ect you begin to wonder if I should even be invested in their ecosystem just for the mere fact of much they don't get that mobile is where people are and will continue to be all the more in the future. I'm not feeling Microsoft much at this point. Sad in a way that I may have to find another platform in the near future if they don't turn things around in a hurry.
    CraigCole and Elky64 like this.
    07-20-2017 02:58 PM
    Good luck finding a Windows phone to buy. I have a 735 that I got after I dropped my 928 and broke the screen. I like the phone, and find the start screen and dark theme is much superior to iOS home screen.

However, there are several apps that I need that aren't available on Windows 10 Mobile. My phone will no longer notify me when I have an incoming email (and yes, the settings are correct), and at times when I leave wi-fi coverage and return it doesn't see the internet until I reboot the phone. Just too many little problems starting to crop up. Coupled with the fact that you can't buy a new Verizon-compatible phone, my next phone will be an iPhone.
    CraigCole, Elky64 and myfyp2 like this.
    07-20-2017 03:10 PM
    If my current 950XL becomes unuseable, I will attempt at getting another Windows 10 Mobile.
    07-20-2017 03:12 PM
    Nope. Was forced to switch to Android a few months back because of the rapidly disintegrating app ecosystem and shant be back unless they demonstrate their next phone effort is viable. And by viable, I mean have a representative list of apps available for use.

I do miss WP, but the current iteration of the platform is dead as a dodo.
    07-20-2017 03:59 PM
    Nope. Was forced to switch to Android a few months back because of the rapidly disintegrating app ecosystem and shant be back unless they demonstrate their next phone effort is viable. And by viable, I mean have a representative list of apps available for use.

I do miss WP, but the current iteration of the platform is dead as a dodo.
    I think this is the way most people feel.
    libra89, Elky64 and myfyp2 like this.
    07-20-2017 04:09 PM
    I actually recently purchased the alcatel idol 4s. Its a great phone, thin light, and runs great. Continuum is cool as well. Might return it because of the app gap, and stated before, no support. I agree Microsoft is only focusing on windows 10 on arm, and is going to do something amazing with that, but will most definitely get rid of windows mobile 10. Which is a shame because it had some great features.
    BethlehemSteel, TgeekB and Elky64 like this.
    07-20-2017 04:11 PM
    Will hang to my 640 as long as possible... so sad and disappointing how much Google and Apple out 'competed' Microsoft...
    07-20-2017 04:32 PM
    If you're comfortable with the fact that your device won't get any new features, go for it. Can't stop you.

Otherwise, don't bother. WM10 is still buggy, despite CU introducing hardly anything and FCU being a bunch of bugfixes only. The latest insider build goes wonky with the display brightness on my 640XL, which didn't happen before. Edge still keeps on freezing and reloading tabs for no reason. On top of that, it still doesn't support the things I want (extensions, notifications, popup blocker), despite the feature request for extensions having 15k+ upvotes.

Just get Android. It might lag, but so does WM10. There's a pretty good chance your system won't be getting new features, but then again WM10 doesn't either. All in all, at least you'll have plenty of apps and actual app developer support.
    07-20-2017 04:32 PM
    I will most likely stay with W10M if my current phone dies
    07-20-2017 04:33 PM
    I'm going to rock my 950XL until it gives up the ghost. If the Massively Screwed-up dis-Functional Team (MSFT) doesn't have something else out there for at least 6 months before mine dies, then I'm gone from MSFT for good.

A phone is personal whether we like it or not. Part of that is the phone and part of that is how the phone maker and service provider treat you. I'd get the same service level or better if I switched but I'll call it a wash.

The part that isn't a wash is how the phone maker or OS maker treats its customers. MSFT doesn't and I don't think has the capacity to ever really get the individual consumer. XBOX was really a freak and is the only thing that is successful coming from a consumer standpoint. They have products that were successful in the consumer market but those products were coming from the Enterprise and could translate to the consumer.

It has been too dysfunctional on MSFT's part. I really think they are just throwing spaghetti against the wall and hoping that they get something to stick. The other problem is that they have no staying power if the spaghetti doesn't get taken off right away. I can see "retrenchment #15 " coming.
    07-20-2017 04:39 PM
    I'm planning to wait until the next version of Windows, but if my current phone breaks beforehand, I'll probably hit up eBay and buy a used Windows Phone. The question for me is: "Will there be any large screen Windows-based phones in the future that don't cost as much as a laptop?"
    07-20-2017 05:02 PM
    I use an iPhone for work and an Galaxy S8 for personal use. I would have gone with a flagship windows phone (there was not one earlier this year) and the app gap also became an issue for me. So I am reluctantly using the S8. Should the next generation of a "Windows Phone" be a success, I will re-consider in 2 years, but I will not be an early adopter.

--Former Nokia 520 and Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL user. . .
    07-20-2017 06:04 PM
    My wife is currently using a Lumia 950 (an upgrade from her 830). She is mostly happy with the 950, although she has run into the dreaded "this app is no longer available/supported" on a few occasions. I left Windows 10 Mobile when I swapped my Lumia 1520 for a Priv. I liked the Priv and it got better as the software became more refined, but it never approached the smoothness of the 1520. I recently picked up a Mate 9 and it is a big, easy to see and use, fast, and buttery smooth device that reminded me why I enjoyed my 1520 so much. I guess what I am trying to say is that I still quite like Windows Mobile and use it on occasion (we have the old 830 and it was updated via the insider program to Win10 Mobile). However, with so many good and relatively inexpensive Android devices now available, I find it hard to recommend Windows 10 Mobile devices (although I will seriously consider the Surface Phone when it makes its appearance). Especially considering that Outlook, OneDrive, Office, and the host of additional MS apps that I use on a daily basis work so well on Android devices.
    Last edited by hoovermac; 07-21-2017 at 04:10 AM.
    07-20-2017 06:09 PM
    Are you going to buy another Windows phone?

Not likely, there's just no reason to.
    myfyp2 likes this.
    07-20-2017 06:17 PM
    I recently purchased a Lumia 950xl coming from a Lumia 830 (W10M), which the capacitive buttons broke (still under warranty and currently being fixed). I was thinking of going for the X3 but for the price, i think its not that worth it for what i need.

So here is what I think of the Lumia 950xl.

- From what i heard, it feels and looks cheap but for me its not. if feels to to the hand and it looks simple but not cheap.
    - Multitasking is a breeze
    - Display and camera is great (we all know that already)
    - Volume-power button placements was odd at first but when I took a screen shot it all make sense. I can take screen shots with only one hand, how convenient was that! also soft resetting is much easier if you ever need to.
    - Using the dock while away from my main computer for light uses is also very convenient. I left mine at my parents house so i can use that when i visit. And I recently discovered that you can plug in a USB speaker/headphones to the dock!

For buying another windows phone, its a yes for me. i just love the simplicity of it. I dont really care about apps, i just want a phone that can do it with this level of simplicity. But suggesting one to others, currently, is another story.
    raycpl likes this.
    07-20-2017 06:20 PM
    Hi there,

I`ve been using a WP8.1 for years and side by side with an Asus Zenfone running Android, I much prefer it. Problem is - I notice many providers are removing their apps from the Windows Store. Bloomberg, Ebay, Caledos and others which I use almost daily, are either not there or left unupdated and some don`t work well.

So, does it make sense to purchase another such phone in a shrinking app store and what appears to be a silent desire by Microsoft to shut off WP? Do you think its all rumours about them looking to kill the mobile version?

I am in a shaky boat - I like iOS as an OS very much. The devices work flawlessly and are very easy to use, apps are millions. But I don`t like the constant need to use iTunes and Apple`s support and policies. Its like buying a product from a company I don`t like for their values, not for their devices. I`m not going back to Android even if I`m threatened with a gun to my forehead.
    I believe MS have the best overall package or at least their prospect is the most promising, besides apps and the fact their mobile platform is in somewhat of a left arm development stage ATM.

The reasons you mentioned for not going Android or iOS apply to me as well, and I want to support MS developing their mobile platform.

I'll buy Windows phones as long as it is possible to do so. However, my next phone will most likely be a Windows 10 for ARM device. Just hoping the SD830 is powerful enough to make the experience fluid enough. Yeah, and that somebody actually make a handset with it.
    07-20-2017 06:26 PM
    If my phone suddenly died. I would - off Amazon or something.
    If it is late 2018 and my phone died and MS is in the same boat - hello Android!
    (Good bye MS and their services)
    07-20-2017 07:01 PM
    Extremely unlikely I'll buy another Windows Phone unless Android/iOS end up being on the verge of collapse, and don't see that happening anytime soon.

To me technology is about moving forward and that includes mobile phones, yet MSFT obviously thinks differently. Guess that's what happens when you have too much $$$, do what you want, when you want, and nobody is going to tell you different.

The 3 remaining Windows Phone's we own will probably end up in same drawer as my BlackBerry's, think they'll make a great couple, living happily ever after.
    07-20-2017 07:32 PM
135 12345 ...