Is it worth going for another Windows Phone or is it dead?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Re: Is it worth going for another Windows Phone or its dead?

That's a bizarre absolute you took my post to. The whole thing is a continuum between "you don't need a front-facing flash on a smartphone" or "you don't need a spoiler on your car" to "you don't need a battery in a smartphone" or "you don't need a steering wheel in a car". There's a world of difference between those.

But are what you mentioned "basic functionality"? You can get music from iTunes on the phone/Apple Music/Spotify/Pandora, etc. (I have a 100% local music collection so I know that's not exactly a replacement) And I remembered you can get ringtones from iTunes on the phone itself as well.

I think, it could potentially be argued, that local music is a basic functionality of smartphones. All smartphones can do it, and its fairly commonly used. Even those who stream, aren't always connected to LTE. And streaming services are comparatively new next to historically locally stored music. I don't think they can be regarded as the "same feature".

And its possible to use any application or service for playing local music on bb10, android and win10m. So this might be considered a fair complaint of iphones.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site

That's a bizarre absolute you took my post to. The whole thing is a continuum between "you don't need a front-facing flash on a smartphone" or "you don't need a spoiler on your car" to "you don't need a battery in a smartphone" or "you don't need a steering wheel in a car". There's a world of difference between those.

But are what you mentioned "basic functionality"? You can get music from iTunes on the phone/Apple Music/Spotify/Pandora, etc. (I have a 100% local music collection so I know that's not exactly a replacement) And I remembered you can get ringtones from iTunes on the phone itself as well.

I agree about bizarre... because You started nonsense "you don't need..." discussion. That's why I showed You how far and dumb it can go.

I think, it could potentially be argued, that local music is a basic functionality of smartphones. All smartphones can do it, and its fairly commonly used. Even those who stream, aren't always connected to LTE. And streaming services are comparatively new next to historically locally stored music. I don't think they can be regarded as the "same feature".

And its possible to use any application or service for playing local music on bb10, android and win10m. So this might be considered a fair complaint of iphones.

And what about setting any custom ringtone? Isn't that "feature" available in Nokia 6230 or Siemens S65?

Anyway, not sure iTunes is the main problem here, since even iTunes will not help You to use Bluetooth on iPhone, to change notifications for different applications or to change battery.

Please, note: that "features" above are still available in incredible (comparing to iPhone) Nokia 6230 and Siemens S65 :devil:

OK, I'll better stop... talking about Apple "devices" just makes me laughing all the time.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

It's funny we're even having this argument about the iPhone, which is clearly still alive and Windows Phone, which is on life support. Custom ringtones clearly hasn't helped much.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site

It's funny we're even having this argument about the iPhone, which is clearly still alive and Windows Phone, which is on life support. Custom ringtones clearly hasn't helped much.

Dumb customers and awesome marketing... same point for BB10, which beats iOS and Android all together as well, but is dead.

And it's not funny. It's sad.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site

. same point for BB10, which beats iOS and Android all together as well, but is dead.

You must not have spent more than five minutes with a BB10 device. I'm still trying to figure out what they were smoking when they degraded from the usable and logical BlackBerry OS 7 with the horrid and illogical BB10. We bought a few hundred Z10 and Q10 devices. They were universally hated and difficult to use. I quickly bought several hundred Samsung galaxy S6 units to replace them.

Unsubstantiated excuses = custom ringtones

That isn't correct. You should write Unsubstantiated excuses == custom ringtones

Otherwise you risk telling us that the excuses ARE ringtones.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

To get back discussion the OP meant . . .lol

If my 735 goes out I would probably will get a used (obviously since there are no new ones) WP. I really believe MS is working on something and I would hate to switch to another platform and MS releases something.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Dumb customers and awesome marketing... same point for BB10, which beats iOS and Android all together as well, but is dead.

And it's not funny. It's sad.

True that bb10 is/was kind of solid. Very stable, true real time, intuitive gestures and of course the beautiful hub.

It's bizzare to be how people will always try and pin a failing or success, on purely objectively better or worse feature sets etc (usually based on subjective personal experiences and opinions). Perhaps its a product of reading too many tech commenters.

When it comes to business in general there are elements of this - better products, better ideas, but that's never the whole story. In fact its only really a portion of it. There's cultural understanding, dealmaking, marketing, opportunity, timing, even luck.

Not sure if anyones heard of that thin lizzy product? Chick here in NZ came out with it Her partner, broke off from the company, marketed it better than the parent company, and she (the originator) went bankrupt. It was her product, it was a good product, someone else marketed it better (and made a bundle doing so). The entire difference in the magnitude of success was branding and marketing.

The ipod, the cornerstone of apples modern successes, is a great example of this - there were better products, there were many similar products. The difference was primarily marketing and branding.

Something MSFT, as a mixture of consumer and enterprise profit streams has never quite understood as well as purely consumer companies do.

Last edited:

kleefarr

May 4, 2016
Visit site

I have found that the last couple of Windows Phones I have used have done what I need in general.
I am not a fan of spending £100's on the latest phone which I think is currently the 950XL.
I was going to upgrade from my current Lumia 550 to a Lumia 640XL but sadly find that they are no longer being sold.

So if anyone has any suggestions for a Windows 10 Phone with a 5.7" screen for approx £150 please let me know.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
You must not have spent more than five minutes with a BB10 device. I'm still trying to figure out what they were smoking when they degraded from the usable and logical BlackBerry OS 7 with the horrid and illogical BB10. We bought a few hundred Z10 and Q10 devices. They were universally hated and difficult to use. I quickly bought several hundred Samsung galaxy S6 units to replace them.

That isn't correct. You should write Unsubstantiated excuses == custom ringtones

Otherwise you risk telling us that the excuses ARE ringtones.

The further discussion with You makes no sense for me, since I've been one year with BB Torch 9860 and 3 years on Z10 along 2 years on Z3. Good luck.

So if anyone has any suggestions for a Windows 10 Phone with a 5.7" screen for approx £150 please let me know.
Used 950 XL

The entire difference in the magnitude of success was branding and marketing.
I was trying to explain it them... even Steve Cook is till wondering how people do buy overpriced iPhones without basic functionality. And they still believe and buy. And they even have some (ridiculous, but still) arguments :D

Unsubstantiated excuses = custom ringtones

No worries, my friend.

I remember the times when Apple allowed changing wallpaper and MP3 in iPhone.

Therefore, I'm pretty sure they will allow custom ringtones ~ in iPhone 10.
Sure, they will show You how this "unbelievable" functionality will increase iPhone's usability by 270%, will make a 1,5 hour presentation showing how custom ringtones will allow You to recognize the fact it's actually Your iPhone is calling and all the rest 20 iPhone users in the room can be calm and will have no need to check their devices immediately.

And, sure, they will insert some scene with an iPhone user, using funny ringtone, which will lead to some ridiculous funny situation to finish this presentation.

And, definitely, they will explain You in details what a big revolutionary step is this for Apple family.

Last edited by a moderator:

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

I really believe MS is working on something and I would hate to switch to another platform and MS releases something.

Same here. I've been looking at Android phones for about six months now but yet to pull the trigger on a purchase. I'm entertaining the idea of buying a low-mid range Android as a secondary phone and get myself acquainted with the system. Like a lot of people I'm waiting to see what Microsoft has in store for mobile and whether I'm in the target audience.

In the horrible event of a failure to my Lumia 640 I have a backup windows phone (735) at the ready. New and unopened Lumias aren't that hard to find on eBay and overseas stores so I wouldn't have problems picking up another Lumia. But eventually I will have to upgrade. The question is Windows or Android?

deep308

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
The posts above just makes me wanna cry. I bought my 3rd Windows Phone an year and a half back, which was Lumia 640XL, soon after which they released 950. I wanted to get that, my dad said no. He did get me a Galaxy S6 later though, and I realized he was against the idea of a windows phone. Since then I carry two phones, I did rid of Galaxy and got a One plus 3T. Much better phone, I use the Windows Arrow launcher on it, it changes the wallpaper daily like the bing lockscreen on windows. My Lumia is still alive and I miss it a lot, though it has my primary number. I get most of my work done with the One Plus. Simple things like Facebook Messenger also isn't functional on windows. It's a shame, Microsoft took a beautiful OS like the Zune OS and left it in ruins. If Microsoft promised everything else, I wouldn't miss things like snapchat.
There was once a light which came with the Project Astoria, but they didn't wanna continue with that providing support for everything model available.
I is really cool how games like Asphalt 8, perform on my phone with just 1GB of RAM, considering an Android phone wouldn't be able to.
Only in a hope that Microsoft does something about this. Yes Windows Phone fans exist. We are still alive..

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
"Is it worth going for another Windows Phone or is it dead?"

It's worth it. Choose the Lumia 950 XL or HP Elite X3. You can also go with the Lumia 640 XL or Lumia 1520 as well.

N8tiveT3ch

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I might but one that runs windows 10 mobile. Currently I have the idol 4s (which I don't recommend) works right now but there are some bugs. I will go down with the ship but I really want to try a elite x3 but I don't have the funds at the moment...

Hophead1994

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
A friend of mine just bought a 640xl because his 735 broke. He doesn't care if the phone no longer gets updates because for the price you cant get a better phone.

I plan on keeping my 950 until the Surface mobile comes out.

Will Gilliland

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
My 950XL runs buttery smooth after Fast Ring fresh install and I am very happy with it. However, with all the travel and banking I do, lack of apps gets frustrating. I used to have Android with Microsoft Band 2. I was almost completely paperless and cardless. Now, I'm back to printing boarding passes and a wallet full of cards.
If Surface Phone comes to market, I'll probably be on board. If not, I'm eyeballing the Nokia 8.

jack69453

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

My 930 is showing signs of the age. Unfortunately the 950 in my country is still about $700 USD. So I'm going to have to wait until I travel or until the 930 dies. So yeah. I still want a Windows Phone.

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

I won't buy a new Windows powered smartphone in 2017. I don't expect Microsoft or any of its OEM partners to release a new Windows 10 mobile device telephony enabled this year.

However I like the Windows 10 home screen, I like using Cortana, I like using Edge, I like using Outlook to manage all my three e-mail accounts (Outlook, Google and Yahoo). That's why I will stick for now with my Microsoft Lumia 950 XL. And yes, how could I have forgotten this one more reason, I still like very much the pictures my 950 XL produces.

Right now I have an issue with the current Windows 10 Mobile production build. For no logical reason, the live tiles from Facebook, MSN News, MSN Weather, Accuweather, myTube and Windows Central apps stopped updating their background image when I'm on cellular data. If I connect to WiFi all of them work just fine. But not on cellular. And I have a pretty big data limit of 8 GB monthly.

I have already done a hard reset of my phone, and they worked correctly for about 2 weeks. After that they started again not to function. I mean for Facebook and WindowsCentral app the live tile displays the correct number of unread notifications but the background image is not updated. MSN Weather live tile remains stuck to the forecast from the last day when I was connected to WiFi. MSN News and Accuweather just display their blank, default background. MyTube just cycles through the images that it downloaded last time when it was connected to WiFi. Very, very weird. And I don't want to do a hard reset every two weeks. I have better things to do with my time than just resetting my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo