At the crossroads with Windows Mobile

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I LOVE my Windows devices. From my Custom built PC, to my Surface Pro 4. Everything except the Xbox! And I've been with Windows Phones since the induction of Windows Phone 8. It had won my heart over every other phone that was out. And I haven't looked back since then. Until now......

So I actually started out with Android. I had the HTC Thunderbolt (remember that one?). It was cool, had to put the Cyanogen mod to really make it worthwhile. But to me, it wasn't the experience I was looking for.

Then a couple of years later, I was in the market for a new smartphone. I researched it all. From the iPhone to the Sony Xperia PlayStation phone. But there was one that always intrigued me, and that was the Windows Phone!

Windows Phone 7 was out at the time, and they was coming out with Windows Phone 8. And they was going to work with Verizon. So I tried it. And LOVED IT!!! So my next phone was the HTC 8x.

I loved it. Had a popular hardware issue, but changed it out and got a replacement. It had wireless charging too!? WHAT!? And was BLUE!!!! But then we'll have a flagship that came out with 8.1. We got into the Nokia Lumia ICON! And MAN WHAT A PHONE IT WAS!!! It felt like a premium phone! I loved it! And man what a treat it was! That phone was AMAZING! I love the way the had made the glass! It had more memory! The sound thru the jack was AMAZING! It had QUAD MICS (WHAAAAATTTT!!!!). What was known as SkyDrive (remember, before OneDrive) was HUGE! And it took GREAT PICTURES!!! This OFFICIALLY made me a Windows Phone user!!! And I've been trying to convert people ever since!

Then came the First "Official" Microsoft Phone. The 950 XL. Bigger screen. I switched to AT&T from Verizon to use it! Expandable memory. The natural flash! ETC. And had the Band that came out too! I mean, it started off rocky. But with software updates it got better. Windows Hello IS a GAMECHANGER!!!! Skype SMS sync is a GAMECHANGER (I use it DAILY with my PC and Surface). USB-C is a GAMECHANGER!!!! Removable backs! The works! It kept getting better! And IT DOES FLAC!!!! So the majority of my music library is now FLAC! And though I didn't use it, I wanted to get the Continuum dock!

And then, a few months ago, it fell off my belt and cracked!! :(

So tried to get a replacement from the phone company, and they don't have it. So I've kept it. It still works til today. But now the front camera is out. It's a tad slower on certain apps now. I've tried to get replacements on eBay, but them phones are going for $300-$500 still on every bid I do. They are still popular to some people.

Which leads me onto today(didn't mean to be long winded, I got a little emotional). I do have a feeling for a new phone. I want it to be a Windows Phone, but I'm starting to face reality. Android IS the king of the hill. And while my close group of friends is trying to convert me to iOS, I feel, no I KNOW IT SUCKS!!!! I'm sorry that phone is straight booty juice, and unless you're like my grandmother, it really doesn't suit a power user like me. I started to look at the Galaxy S8, and it's a damn good looking phone, and the OS on that seems solid without all the extra crap that comes with a lot of Androids in the past! Also it can do FLAC, it has USB-C, and the apps are more polish. I don't care about no "App" gap. It's unrealistic to me. I only care about the apps I use, and while W10m Has pretty much the apps I want, The Viper SmartStart app is outdated (Been bugging Directed/Viper to upgrade), They do have Cortana on there now, and the Office apps I heard actually runs better on Android than on W10m. They also have Android Auto, something I use everyday in my car with a cheap Android phone (Microsoft was suppose to have something similar, but never came out with it). Being an Mobile Electronics Installer, this is a HUGE feature now with my Kenwood DNX773S deck.

Now, the Samsung rep at my job was telling me wait for a month, because the new Galaxy Note 8 is coming out, and it will be a BEAST. Some of the specs has leaked, and it sounds like my type of phone. And even have a little pen that comes with it, which could be nice! 6" + screen, powerful SoC, 6GB of RAM!!!! BRUH! This thing seems like the real deal if the battery doesn't blow up on me! And I think I may bite!

Now, does this mean I'm giving up on Windows Mobile, not by a MILE! I'm HOPING we get the Surface Phone we need in our lives, and I hope it is AMAZING! But for now, I think I'm gonna take a year off, and got to Android for a little. I'm already experiencing apps with my cheap Andriod, and I'm trying to find a way to change the icons like the live tiles, but I really hope we see the Surface Phone soon! But I also look forward to stuff like Android Pay and the Gear S3.

Microsoft, you're on the clock. What can you guys do in a year? The Surface Phone MUST be as great as the Surface products before it! And I'll be waiting!

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Even with the surface phone it's not going to change much there will still be little to no developer support still will be a lack of phones. Just switch to Android and watch windows 10 Mobile from a distance. Things are looking very grim right now

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Meh. I'm not giving up on Windows Mobile yet. Just simply taking a break. I feel like the Surface Phone, the first one that is actually built by Panoy and crew, will be AMAZING!!!!

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Meh. I'm not giving up on Windows Mobile yet. Just simply taking a break. I feel like the Surface Phone, the first one that is actually built by Panoy and crew, will be AMAZING!!!!
Surface phone has been at least a 5 year old rumor how long are you willing to wait? That phone won't magically fix the app situation

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I like my X3 and have a iPhone 7+ as well. But will likely move on to the Note 8 as soon as it's out. I don't think the Surface phone if it every comes out will fix the problems.

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
They also haven't made their own hardware with Windows Mobile yet.

You can't just say something is about to fail just for the fact you wanna say it. How many people said the Surface line would fail? Where is it now?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
They've made nothing but mistakes in the mobile business the past 5 years

I totally agree. In fact, I just made a decision to shift to Apple. iPhone 7+ for me. No point in wasting time, money, effort behind a platform that has a horrible past, abysmal present and a dark future. Very easy to rant out everything, but I wish to reserve it for later.

Meanwhile, Apple - if you afford it. Android - only other option.

CHeers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb