Android user thinking of going back to Windows

Theo Sithole

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
I once was a windows user who kind of got swayed away by the way others on different platforms used to flaunt their apps 😟 but it now feels like it was a bad choice and a waste of my time.

I am currently using a galaxy s7 and to be honest I miss the look and feel of windows phone ,the best platform in my views even though we have the app gap I realised that most of the apps I have on my android are the ones I can have on windows besides snap chat but who cares about it anyway.

I will say it once again windows mobile is a great platform even though most consumers may deny .

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Honestly there is no need now. Though the S7 is a POS, you might like the OnePlus, LGV20, Huawei Mate 9, or pixel.

On my Galaxy S6, I have a more WM like experience by using the Arrow Launcher. I have converted several of my friends. All like it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Rather than coming back to Windows Phone, I strongly recommend you spend some effort working on making Android work for you. Get a different launcher, there are some that mimic Windows 10, etc. that you may like.

You can replace many defaults and generally hide some of Samsung's additions in the background.

Even if the perfectly-competent S7 isn't working for you, there is a lot of variety in Android-land. I have a Moto, my friend has a Pixel, etc. They're all Android, but each with their own spin. She gets her updates quickly, I get some cool gestures, etc.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I once was a windows user who kind of got swayed away by the way others on different platforms used to flaunt their apps but it now feels like it was a bad choice and a waste of my time.

I am currently using a galaxy s7 and to be honest I miss the look and feel of windows phone ,the best platform in my views even though we have the app gap I realised that most of the apps I have on my android are the ones I can have on windows besides snap chat but who cares about it anyway.

I will say it once again windows mobile is a great platform even though most consumers may deny .
The S7 is a really good phoine. Try different launchers, I personally like the Arrow launcher. You will not miss live tiles as much as your think.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Launchers don't make Android behave like Windows, that's just lipstick on a pig. The settings app is Android, not Windows. The dialer, contacts, calendar, etc. remains Android, not Windows. A Windows-like start screen with some pseudo Live Tiles doesn't turn a Galaxy S7 into a 950 any more than putting suicide doors on a Chrysler 300 and calling it a Phantom.

If the OP wants to come back, let him do so at his own peril. Though I would strongly suggest buying a used upper end W10M handset and playing with it for a while before making it a daily driver.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Launchers don't make Android behave like Windows, that's just lipstick on a pig. The settings app is Android, not Windows. The dialer, contacts, calendar, etc. remains Android, not Windows. A Windows-like start screen with some pseudo Live Tiles doesn't turn a Galaxy S7 into a 950 any more than putting suicide doors on a Chrysler 300 and calling it a Phantom.

If the OP wants to come back, let him do so at his own peril. Though I would strongly suggest buying a used upper end W10M handset and playing with it for a while before making it a daily driver.

Let's take WP's evolution into account too though, this Phantom has gotten a weaker transmission than it did before and scrapped the suicide doors, and otherwise lost a solid chunk of its differentiation over the 300.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site

Totally agree with you Fatclue; I've got a S5 on my shelf; keep it up to date to see 'what i'm missing'; Arrow launcher is the best try at making Android somewhat close to Windows 10 mobile, but it still lacks in so many regards; it's 'not the real thing'....

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Let's take WP's evolution into account too though, this Phantom has gotten a weaker transmission than it did before and scrapped the suicide doors, and otherwise lost a solid chunk of its differentiation over the 300.
Yeah, but the 300 is still a Chrysler. There's no getting around that. Listen, I get it, Windows fans go to Android because of the app situation but there's no denying the superior UI of Windows. Remember when we were jailbreaking the iPhone 3GS to put webOS themes on them complete with gesture areas? Just because Android and iOS are the 2 top dogs don't make them the best. Windows, BlackBerry 10 and webOS mop the floor with any of those dogs when it comes to UI. That's why we're still having these conversations.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but the 300 is still a Chrysler. There's no getting around that. Listen, I get it, Windows fans go to Android because of the app situation but there's no denying the superior UI of Windows. Remember when we were jailbreaking the iPhone 3GS to put webOS themes on them complete with gesture areas? Just because Android and iOS are the 2 top dogs don't make them the best. Windows, BlackBerry 10 and webOS mop the floor with any of those dogs when it comes to UI. That's why we're still having these conversations.

"Best" is subjective though. UI is important to some and not to others, so it's difficult to compare and contrast.
I prefer the Windows UI over iPhone, but the only mopping being done is in the sales department, and we know who's holding the mop.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
"Best" is subjective though. UI is important to some and not to others, so it's difficult to compare and contrast.
I prefer the Windows UI over iPhone, but the only mopping being done is in the sales department, and we know who's holding the mop.
No question about the sales dominance. Apple makes better hardware to boot, but how many iPhone launchers are there in the Windows Store? Or Android for that matter?

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo onmTalk

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I was happily non-conformist in my job with my series of Windows phones, most recently the 950XL. Then the IT department issued an edict that they would support only later model iPhones or Android devices going forward. At a publicly regulated employer, certain protocols are required, and I couldn't just not have IT support (even with as little as they have ever done for me). I made them buy me an iPhone 6S. I decided to be one of those people carrying two phones- the iPhone for work and the 950XL for personal use. First, carrying two phones is really annoying. Second, I tried to like the iPhone. I really did. But I just can't get past that awful, dated UI with its limited customization. What do the Apple fans see in this phone? I don't get it.

So, I went back to my habit of buying my own device. I bought the Microsoft Edition of the Galaxy S8. That was a simple process and the staff even showed me some of the features of the Arrow Launcher, which was about the only Microsoft software installed I had no familiarity with. I love the Arrow Launcher and have customized it to give me what I love most about Windows phones- the amount and variety of information I can achieve at a glance and quick access to key workmates and family members. I'd be happier if I could still use the 950XL, but I'm a lot happier now than I was carrying two devices and one of them being an iPhone. Really, what DO the fans see in that?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
No question about the sales dominance. Apple makes better hardware to boot, but how many iPhone launchers are there in the Windows Store? Or Android for that matter?

No doubt, but that's where, I believe, some people could care less. Take my wife for instance. She just wants to open an app and have it work. She's not multitasking or worrying about changing ringtones. It's the simplicity of the UI that draws many people.

I have no evidence to prove this, just my thoughts. Those of us on websites like these are usually different with different demands. We like the way it looks or how quickly we can get into settings to change things. We are the exception rather than the norm.

I have never been considered "normal". 🤣

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No doubt, but that's where, I believe, some people could care less. Take my wife for instance. She just wants to open an app and have it work. She's not multitasking or worrying about changing ringtones. It's the simplicity of the UI that draws many people.

I have no evidence to prove this, just my thoughts. Those of us on websites like these are usually different with different demands. We like the way it looks or how quickly we can get into settings to change things. We are the exception rather than the norm.

I have never been considered "normal". 🤣
You left yourself wide open for a Henny Youngman quip with the wife comment. 😝

I know what you mean, my wife's no different. She's on a 6S+ for the simplicity but she hates the keyboard with a passion. It's not easy to explain that iOS is locked down and she can't get my keyboard or the BlackBerry kb either. I've looked at every iPhone keyboard on the App Store and they're just variations of the Apple kb. No ".com" or punctuation other than a period.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You left yourself wide open for a Henny Youngman quip with the wife comment.

I know what you mean, my wife's no different. She's on a 6S+ for the simplicity but she hates the keyboard with a passion. It's not easy to explain that iOS is locked down and she can't get my keyboard or the BlackBerry kb either. I've looked at every iPhone keyboard on the App Store and they're just variations of the Apple kb. No ".com" or punctuation other than a period.

Yup, you're right. It's those things like .com that we like, and many people on other platforms don't know exist. On the other hand, I have come to appreciate the usefulness and efficiency of Apple products, which I never thought I'd go back to. If MS had only....fill in the blank.
My wife is, well, tech-less if that is a word. I know a lot of people at work who are the same way. They just want their phones to do the 4 or 5 things they need it to do and that's it. They're not writing 50 emails a day or admiring the UI. They'll put up with the keyboard. That's why Blackberry failed, they just didn't get it.
Ehh, I've gone off on a tangent again. I'm not sure I've added anything of relevance to the conversation but it was fun!

Kash_Killz

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I ran into similar problems looking for a good windows launcher to feed my crave for windows phone. I myself have atuck with windows from 6.5 (htc hd2) all the way up until 8.1 (lumia 925). I was forced to go bsck to android and havent tried 10. All the launcheds on the app atore look the part, but dont feel like it.
But hwat ive done was download an app called Real widget, which is a home screen widget that you can put anywhere and load live tiles inside of it. Altho the tiles arent technically live, it allows me to have the best of both worlds. Wish i knew how to upload an image here, id upload a screen shot of my homescreen.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
. I'd be happier if I could still use the 950XL, but I'm a lot happier now than I was carrying two devices and one of them being an iPhone.
Not sure why you can't use the Windows phone at work. Are there software packages you need installed? While my staff and managers make fun of me, I still rock my 950xl at work. I do carry an Iphone also but that's because the Iphone doesn't have dual SIM and I occasionally get calls on my work cell.

Really, what DO the fans see in that?
No clue. The force touch is nice, camera is nice, the Microsoft keyboard is nice...

ff7852ba252de5bfdfd3a8d68d18d813.jpg

..and app selection is nice. The UI is so 2009 and the lack of customization is criminal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)