why keep using windows/windows phone?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This works the other way around as well. MSFT still has a majority presence on the desktop/latop, hence could work to make inroad in the area where it is lagging now. Either case requires dedication, stubborness, and a consistant vision, which infortunately does not seem to exits on the MSFT side. Also needed is the strong desire to ultimately beat/crush the competition.

I just do not think that the current MSFT leadership utopian view, where all is good when we all play along, is going to work in the long run. But then again, they could be right.
I don't know that Microsoft wants to crush the competition. They just want their products on every device in the world whether it's one of theirs or not. You could argue that they already have crushed the competition. Ask any random person on the street what kind of spreadsheet, presentation or word processing program they use and you might get 1 in 100 (I'm being generous) to say Libre or Open Office. Same goes for IT managers and their reliance on Office 365 and Outlook.

I've said it before 1000 times on this forum, it's Microsoft for a reason. Phones have been a means to an end in that the earlier CE-based phones got us to accept and depend on Office Mobile. These people didn't get rich by being stupid. Hell, they got Samsung to pre-load the Office Suite on their devices. Office products are consistently on the best-seller lists on Google Play and the Apple App Store. Still think they're rudder-less?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't know that Microsoft wants to crush the competition. They just want their products on every device in the world whether it's one of theirs or not. You could argue that they already have crushed the competition. Ask any random person on the street what kind of spreadsheet, presentation or word processing program they use and you might get 1 in 100 (I'm being generous) to say Libre or Open Office. Same goes for IT managers and their reliance on Office 365 and Outlook.

I've said it before 1000 times on this forum, it's Microsoft for a reason. Phones have been a means to an end in that the earlier CE-based phones got us to accept and depend on Office Mobile. These people didn't get rich by being stupid. Hell, they got Samsung to pre-load the Office Suite on their devices. Office products are consistently on the best-seller lists on Google Play and the Apple App Store. Still think they're rudder-less?

I completely agree. Did they lose the smartphone war? Absolutely. Did they need to win it to be successful? Absolutely not.
Fans think they needed to because they liked the product but it was never their main source of income. Heck, I bet there's people that never knew they made smartphones but use their software every day.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree. Did they lose the smartphone war? Absolutely. Did they need to win it to be successful? Absolutely not.
Fans think they needed to because they liked the product but it was never their main source of income. Heck, I bet there's people that never knew they made smartphones but use their software every day.
Someone who gets it.

Sent from my Surface 3 on mTalk

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Apple has consistently raise prices which each release. Are people going to keep wanting to pay these prices? Are we all in to $1,500 for a phone?

idk, when you are getting to prices where it is a month's rent or mortgage but the features are incremental, IMHO it is getting ridiculous and we are in the category of luxury versus utility that the majority needs.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I'd ask what makes other OSes/devices so much better?

They're all basically equivalent at this point, they all have their quirks and minor problems. There are no huge differences, it's not 2010 anymore.

I've used iOS and Android devices within the past few months and they may have apps, but UX is still far behind (iOS used to be great, but apple disappoints me more every year, in usability and design). Some of the Google apps like Google Now and Maps are excellent, but those aren't things I would use often anyways. I like Windows for its simplicity, yes Android is customizable, but I'd be spending hours modifying the system to suit my wants, whereas I have no problems with Windows out-of-box.

Also Skype and Office have native apps on Windows, whereas Android and iOS uses essentially a web wrapper (for skype) and almost like a windows emulator for Office. The skype app is particular has been noted to be completely awful, unreliable, and slow. The native Windows app does not have those problems.

The only reason I would recommend another OS over W10 is because of very specific apps or features (like NFC payments or smart home integration) that you can't live without. Personally, I just make my own apps where one does not exist, sideloading is just as easy as Android, although that's not a great solution to everyone.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Why do I use windows?

It does more. I write music, the browser is more powerful, the media software more powerful, the office software more powerful. Basically everything is more powerful. Great for multi-tasking too.

For me, I find it easier to use than osx too, because I access "power user features" and in osx, those are all hidden behind commandlines and right clicks. I find that to be a pain in the butt.

Why do I use windows phone?

It's got a smooth UI, some handy features like handsfree texting, and I like MSFT as a company (for all their faults). I find android ad filled, the UI disorganised, and ios too locked down and proprietary. I also don't like either google or apple (Probably google less these days, shockingly enough because of their YouTube censorship, ad creep, search results ideological fiddling, james damore etc).

I also use it because I don't spend my life on my phone. I listen to music, take great photos, check the odd social media, check my bank account, use navigation, browse the web, message via messenger apps and check email. Occasionally, rarely, I'll play a game. I've got a mi band connected to my phone. That's all there for me. I don't really need anything else that would warrant using another system.

If I was a high app user, it might make sense to use ios or android but I'm not. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
There's no reason. Leave Windows phone. At best go to Android. There's tons of hardware options tons of apps. Windows phone is abandon ware at this point

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Windows is just engrained in me since I was a young boy. It's interesting the past few years to watch Microsoft leap their OS exponentially along with the rising technology...
The office suite, let's just say its the only office software you'll really need. Hands down Microsoft knows software and it shows in how they use it, leverage it in their OS.

Mobile, because it works and has not died yet 😋. Just like many used WP8 and still do. Or try to. Just like folks keep using BB devices. Use what you like and what works for you. I understand how some feel the OS is abandoned and what not, I get it. Apps disappearing and what not. I get that too. But that's all relative and perceptive to each user. Not everyone interacts with a mobile device the same way. Let someone find out for themselves if the OS/WP handset is for them or not. Let them try and see, if it's not they'll know.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Windows is just engrained in me since I was a young boy. It's interesting the past few years to watch Microsoft leap their OS exponentially along with the rising technology...
The office suite, let's just say its the only office software you'll really need. Hands down Microsoft knows software and it shows in how they use it, leverage it in their OS.

Mobile, because it works and has not died yet . Just like many used WP8 and still do. Or try to. Just like folks keep using BB devices. Use what you like and what works for you. I understand how some feel the OS is abandoned and what not, I get it. Apps disappearing and what not. I get that too. But that's all relative and perceptive to each user. Not everyone interacts with a mobile device the same way. Let someone find out for themselves if the OS/WP handset is for them or not. Let them try and see, if it's not they'll know.

I think this is good advice.
There’s nothing wrong with being truthful or giving real life experiences with different os’s. The thing is, we are all different so it’s impossible to tell someone else what they should use. Have to try it for yourself.

Dwarf_King

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
Can't answer for others but for me what matters most is if I can text, make calls, read and send mails, surf the web, read news, watch Netflix, check my calendar, take awesome pictures and do so without handing all privacy over to many different small app devs. I can do all that with my Lumia 950 XL win 10 mobile and that is why I still use it. Beside that I also find the win 10 mobile OS pretty safe. I buy a Samsung Galaxy S8 but beside a few needed apps not on Windows 10 mobile I don't really use it. I simply prefer the Lumia 950 XL screen design more than the Samsung Galaxy S8 even though I do also find that pretty. So if it does what you need it to then using a Windows 10 mobile is not a problem. Conclusion use it because you like to use it and it fulfill your needs.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Less intrusive ads. Tapatalk has no ads at all on W10M free version, whereas Android version is full of ads. Moreover, W10M version display more contents on a smaller screen than android version with long screen. Surprising!

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Just found something so simple on W10M last night, but incredibly tough on android. Pinning favorite contacts... Need to login to web to pin. Can't do it on the phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs